Do dungeon brick walls spawn mobs when placed by a player?

Quenton

Terrarian
Somebody posted a video on their youtube channel showcasing an AFK farm he made for the post-plantera dungeon
In it he's saying that mobs will spawn on player-placed brick walls within the dungeon, and he confirmed that this was true several times in the comments when people asked. However, the wiki states "As with all walls, Dungeon Brick Walls collected and placed by players will prevent enemy spawns..." (http://terraria.wiki.gg/Dungeon_Brick_Wall)
I further tested this myself before his video went live, and used player-placed brick walls to manipulate where mobs would spawn, and no mobs have spawned where I've (re)placed them.
So my question is if any of you guys have tested this yourselves and can confirm that dungeon-brick walls collected and placed by players don't spawn mobs, or that there's some glitch or something else taking place? Any help or confirmation is appreciated, because if this is a bug then it'd be good for the devs to know. My guess is that the person who made the video used TEdit to make the farm, or some other world-editing program, and unknowingly used regular naturally-placed dungeon brick wall types in making the farm instead of the artificial ones (as there's both types of the wall in TEdit, natural and artificial), however they're saying the farm was created legitimately so I don't really have reason to believe otherwise.

Last edited:
I thought that didn't work, but the only source I have for that is the wiki... Maybe we should ask someone who has access to the game's code, like @W1K.

Last time I checked and people asked me to check, I recall they did indeed not spawn on player-placed walls. However I'll let you know some youtubers fanbases will tend to be full of stuffs not good for sanity.

Okay thanks, yeah I wasn't too sure if I should actually post videos or not because I really don't want to start any flame wars or anything. The person in question seems to claim they're legit but there's evidence suggesting otherwise, but I don't really care and I'm not going to push it, I just wish they'd have not spread misinformation on their video because it's going to inconvenience a lot of people now. also edited OP to take down things

Provide substance in your posts, or do not post at all. Meme-like images or content-less video links do not qualify.

In a few instances, player-placed walls have a completely different Wall ID than when you harvested the original walls from the world. These include the nine types of walls found in the dungeon, Obsidian Brick Walls, and Lihzahrd Brick Walls.

For example, the Blue Brick Wall found in the dungeon has an ID of 7, while player-placed Blue Brick Wall has an ID of 17. Mobs will only spawn on Blue Brick Wall 7.

From this post about extending the dungeon it looks like there are some very specific conditions where player placed dungeon blocks along with any player placed wall will spawn dungeon enemies.

They'll only be the enemies that spawn from the brick wall no matter what wall is placed. And again, there are very specific conditions.

In a few instances, player-placed walls have a completely different Wall ID than when you harvested the original walls from the world. These include the nine types of walls found in the dungeon, Obsidian Brick Walls, and Lihzahrd Brick Walls.

For example, the Blue Brick Wall found in the dungeon has an ID of 7, while player-placed Blue Brick Wall has an ID of 17. Mobs will only spawn on Blue Brick Wall 7.
This totally solved my problem 6 years later :D

Back
Top Bottom