Game Mechanics Do you guys think that summoner is viable after 1.4.1?

eventide with most arrows, choropthye and luminite and wooden and holy
tsunami with holy
Well alot of the high dps ranged guns and bows are single target in earlier stages of the game, and they dont have a lot of crowd control options in prehm other than beenades, which are op.

Well alot of the high dps ranged guns and bows are single target in earlier stages of the game, and they dont have a lot of crowd control options in prehm other than beenades, which are op.
Jesters arrows have infinite piercing, Grenades deal ridiculous damage for prehardmode, and star cannon just exists.

oh forgot about jester arrows, and star cannon is a hassle to use seeing the ammo source, but thats about it.

Although it has plenty of stuff to deal with crowds, I’d argue its crowd control game is generally weaker than the others. Melee is basically built for crowd control and is one of the class’s redeeming traits, Summoner’s whips naturally cut through crowds, and Mage is full of ridiculous weapons like Water Bolt, Razorblade Typhoon, etc. in each stage. Meanwhile Jester Arrows only work with single target bows and have diminishing effects, Eventide pierces only five times, etc. and you usually don’t want to be wasteful on ammo for the generally longer invasions.

It hardly mafters though because Ranged is so strong anyway that having slightly (emphasis on slightly) weaker crowd control makes a nonexistant difference.

Going completely off topic, but being able to get 30 pieces of high tier bait (Enchanted Nightcrawlers) during meteor showers is one of my favorite smaller 1.4 features

going more off topic I really like fishing, I dont really fish as much but i like it, even though i built a dumb stupid hut for the angler

Attachments

• image_2021-02-07_165607.png
    image_2021-02-07_165607.png
    521.2 KB · Views: 81
yea
Although it has plenty of stuff to deal with crowds, I’d argue its crowd control game is generally weaker than the others. Melee is basically built for crowd control and is one of the class’s redeeming traits, Summoner’s whips naturally cut through crowds, and Mage is full of ridiculous weapons like Water Bolt, Razorblade Typhoon, etc. in each stage. Meanwhile Jester Arrows only work with single target bows and have diminishing effects, Eventide pierces only five times, etc. and you usually don’t want to be wasteful on ammo for the generally longer invasions.

It hardly mafters though because Ranged is so strong anyway that having slightly (emphasis on slightly) weaker crowd control makes a nonexistant difference.
Ranged class isn't very weak with crowds, consideing that infinite pirecing and MASSIVE dps, also range class sets can cause projectile hell

yea

Ranged class isn't very weak with crowds, consideing that infinite pirecing and MASSIVE dps, also range class sets can cause projectile hell
I think that melee is like the younger brother of ranged thats worse in every way, hes a jack of all trades master of non instead of master of all, but in multiplayer melee is a really good face tank that allows the classes that deal damage to breathe.

yea

I didn’t say it was weak with crowds, it’s still very good. I just said it wasn’t the best at them, relatively speaking, because they are more likely to be wielding single target focused weapons and many of the crowd control either have diminishing damage or are hard to sustain. It’s still perfectly capable for crowds.

I think the definitive way to think about it is with the hardest the game can be. that means ftw at master mode. It really isn't viable at all, since it lacks in both damage, defense and range compared to every other class.

I think the definitive way to think about it is with the hardest the game can be. that means ftw at master mode. It really isn't viable at all, since it lacks in both damage, defense and range compared to every other class.
Summoner can actually outdps ranger sometimes so that's not true at all. It only lacked damage before 1.4. Blade Staff is ridiculously strong, Terraprisma is ridiculously strong, Sanguine Staff basically completely protects you from non-boss enemies, Firecracker can literally be used until endgame and triples the damage of summons which already hit ridiculously hard like Desert Tiger and Stardust Dragon, and Vampire Frog + Spinal Tap actually can kill wof ridiculously quickly. Range is the only significant weakness it has and with a high enough skill level that can be completely ignored.

Last edited:
Summoner has been slowly buffed from being an 'extra hard challenge run' to 'a hardmode run with lots of grinding' to 'i can't believe its not butter!(tm)'

Summoner progression is basically buttery smooth at this point compared to 1.4.0.5. Rather than struggling hard with grinding Snapthorn with Finch staff or Blade Staff farms in hallow or Terraprisma grind, you can pretty handily breeze through most of the game now. The only spikes in difficulty that remain are Queen Slime and pre-boss, but pre-boss grinding isn't in the jungle anymore, but in the snow, which is a massive difference. The only real grind that exists is the Pumpkin moon, Necromantic Scroll drop rates are really BS and you need multiple events to create Spooky Armor. They need to make Mourning Wood appear in all the waves. Ended up skipping Necromantic Scroll for 1.4.1 and went for Pygmy Necklace/Hercules Beetle for endgame.

Back
Top Bottom