Map-Puzzle Downside Up

ATMLVE

Official Terrarian
Downside Up is a puzzle map where the two physics-altering items are combined to create a unique environment.
Downside Up download link

In Downside Up you are given a portal gun and a gravity globe which are used to complete puzzles. The portal gun with its unique quality of being able to alter how much gravity affects you, along with the gravity globe which allows you to change the direction in which you fall, blend together to allow for some unique puzzles.

I highly encourage you to post any of your thoughts! Comments, criticism, etc. Was one part too dark? Does the music stop in a particular corner? Is something painted that shouldn't be? Did you get stuck? Learning of unwanted problems in the map is of utmost importance. If you try playing it, I thank you very much!

Big thanks to Pedguin for streaming my map!

Ive finished watching Pedguin play my map and have updated everything accordingly! He "cheated" several times, which I was worried about; I make the puzzles and so I "know" how to solve them, but it then becomes very difficult for me to see other ways to solve them, and thus Pedguin found shortcut ways to solve the map. So although well over 100 people downloaded the map that can be cheated, Pedguin assisted me in beta testing my map, albeit live to over a thousand people. Thanks Ped!

This is after all my first map, and I've learned from it. My next map will undoubtedly be better.

Screenshots:

8F735984B1EF2347EA194919B6D2CDBF85DFF849

C95E81933A8C6279BC2F4B8EA886E72019E91447

F765F2A7FAB7C1FC077EEC44FBFE2F46C92F1E21

Last edited:
Its puzzle maps like this that make me like the gravity globe not being able to change gravity in mid air. Will be sure to DL and try it out tomorrow :D . But, its midnight and I'm tired.

I just tried the map, haven't finished it yet because I'm kinda bad with puzzle. I'll try to beat the map though.
However, concept is nice, I got a little bit confused at some parts but still playable.
For the visual, I like the selection of blocks, especially how you combine bar stool and wood platform to make upside down chair.
That's all for now until I finish this map.

Last edited:
Duuuude, that was insanely fun. My favorite moment is when I I tried to "cheat" by hitting the top of the world and coming down the with gravity globe, but you had a special surprise waiting. ;) Excellent map!!

I just tried the map, haven't finished it yet because I'm kinda bad with puzzle. I'll try to beat the map though.
However, concept is nice, I got a little bit confused at some parts but still playable.
For the visual, I like the selection of blocks, especially how you combine bar stool and wood platform to make upside down chair.
That's all for now until I finish this map.
Thanks, for the visuals since the concept of portals and gravity reversal seemed kind of fantasy-ish, I specifically wanted to utilize Terraria's large variety of block types. I don't really like the style I used which is why the map is on the shorter side but I thought it fit the concept much better. I much prefer metal and sc-fi which you can see I couldn't help but add in at a few locations.

Duuuude, that was insanely fun. My favorite moment is when I I tried to "cheat" by hitting the top of the world and coming down the with gravity globe, but you had a special surprise waiting. ;) Excellent map!!
Yeah I tried my best to make the map cheat proof... I completely boxed in the whole thing with death, and at sections where you can fall out of the designated level area I tried to make it so that you die before being able to shoot a portal ahead of the section you're at. Also you can notice that there are only a few areas where you can fall out, and a lot of the sections where the stone is "broken" away for visual effect, the hole isn't big enough to fit through.

Nice map! I found a bug that lets you skip one of the puzzles.
Mwxv46B.jpg

In this room, you can place a vertical portal and use another vertical portal while jumping at just the right time to land on this table. You can then clip through the wall. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure this one out before just clipping my way through. :p
I also went back later on another character and tried to break a teleporter and my game crashed. :p

Nice map! I found a bug that lets you skip one of the puzzles.
Mwxv46B.jpg

In this room, you can place a vertical portal and use another vertical portal while jumping at just the right time to land on this table. You can then clip through the wall. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure this one out before just clipping my way through. :p
I also went back later on another character and tried to break a teleporter and my game crashed. :p
Thanks very much! Ill fix it right away.
Funnily enough, I made that freakin puzzle and I still dont really know how to do it. The first time I did it I completed it in three minutes... The third time, I completed it a different way than the first two after almost twenty minutes of trying to figure it out, even though its the same puzzle. Thanks again!

I really enjoyed the map all the way through. The attention to detail in the visuals and anti-cheat mechanisms is truly astounding and the puzzles were very confusing to say the least. My only complaint is that it was WAY too short. But if nothing else, the execution of the concept this map demonstrates can help inspire people to expand on this idea and turn it into a full map.

I really enjoyed the map all the way through. The attention to detail in the visuals and anti-cheat mechanisms is truly astounding and the puzzles were very confusing to say the least. My only complaint is that it was WAY too short. But if nothing else, the execution of the concept this map demonstrates can help inspire people to expand on this idea and turn it into a full map.
Thanks for the comments! I too agree that it is too short, and as I stated earlier, this is due in large part to my dislike of the visual style. It was more to just get something unique out there in my name. I do have another map that I've been working on since April. It's more of an adventure map, but its much longer and much more my style.

What unbreakable diagonal BGwall is this? Looks amazing and I want it too! D:
Also, the reason it is unbreakable is because, like natural dirt walls, it cannot be broken unless the wall you're trying to break is adjacent to a wall of air; that is to say, there must be open space next to the wall you're trying to break. If that condition is met, it can, as far as I know, be broken with any type of hammer.

Just finished it. Well done good sir, very creative.
index.php

Im honored. You know, before I was known as ATMLVE, my name was ATM the Mudkip.

Thanks for sharing! There are so many different tiles in Terraria now I completely lost track of them.

Thanks for sharing! There are so many different tiles in Terraria now I completely lost track of them.
One of the reasons I went with the visual style I did was because there are so many different blocks in Terraria. I wanted to use the provided variety.

Finish it now fantastic map I would say, you did the excellent job!

any way there something I need to say about the map.
2015-08-08_00002.jpg
Whoop I broke your teleporter XP
2015-08-08_00003.jpg
Why did you didn't place red pressure plate there?
2015-08-09_00001.jpg
How did you make this waterfall tell me!
2015-08-09_00002.jpg
This last picture is for the lol.

Finish it now fantastic map I would say, you did the excellent job!

any way there something I need to say about the map.
View attachment 69846 Whoop I broke your teleporter XP
View attachment 69847 Why did you didn't place red pressure plate there?
View attachment 69848 How did you make this waterfall tell me!
View attachment 69849
This last picture is for the lol.
Thanks for your reply! In response to your images and quotes:

1. Im unsure of how you did that, but given how unstable some of my things can be in tedit when one thing is broken, Im glad it only broke one teleporter. My guess is your tombstone broke it.

2. Excellent question. Originally, I saw tons of monsters down in the same location as they are in your picture, which made me realize I should replace all of the pressure plates in the whole map with red ones (they were originally all grey). However, after doing so, things were constantly spawning somewhere where they were falling into the teleporters, at a very high rate. At spots where you were within close range of the teleporters, you could here them activate and then something die. This would happen about three to four times every ten seconds, which was extremely annoying an un-atmospheric. I tried placing walls behind the pressure plates to stop any spawning, but it was futile. In the end, I had to revert those pressure plates back to grey.

3. I randomly made the astounding discovery for myself from someones reply to a youtube comment: bubble blocks
I only learned of their existence when I was halfway done with this map! The ones in this map are painted black.

Thanks for your reply! In response to your images and quotes:

1. Im unsure of how you did that, but given how unstable some of my things can be in tedit when one thing is broken, Im glad it only broke one teleporter. My guess is your tombstone broke it.

2. Excellent question. Originally, I saw tons of monsters down in the same location as they are in your picture, which made me realize I should replace all of the pressure plates in the whole map with red ones (they were originally all grey). However, after doing so, things were constantly spawning somewhere where they were falling into the teleporters, at a very high rate. At spots where you were within close range of the teleporters, you could here them activate and then something die. This would happen about three to four times every ten seconds, which was extremely annoying an un-atmospheric. I tried placing walls behind the pressure plates to stop any spawning, but it was futile. In the end, I had to revert those pressure plates back to grey.

3. I randomly made the astounding discovery for myself from someones reply to a youtube comment: bubble blocks
I only learned of their existence when I was halfway done with this map! The ones in this map are painted black.
Again Response your quote as something still in my mind.
1. Yeah, that's most place where I died for not understanding how the portals work.(And usually see myself frequently launch of map.)
2. I guess that's better than red pressure plate.
3. Thank, I was wondering around when I saw that massive lava wall,then I press the switch(the one just before "the most" complicate and confusing puzzle) then I saw that waterfall change position! I wonder how you did that?

Last edited:
Again Response your quote as something still in my mind.
1. Yeah, that's most place where I died for not understanding how the portals work.(And usually see myself frequently launch of map.)
2. I guess that's better than red pressure plate.
3. Thank, I was wondering around when I saw that massive lava wall,then I press the switch(the one just before "the most" complicate and confusing puzzle) then I saw that waterfall change position! I wonder how you did that?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean in your last comment, but I do know there's one spot where the lava moves around, and for that I simply used actuators.

Back
Top Bottom