Duke Fishon wont spawn

It's because any rod can technically work. It's all based on the fishing skill rather than explicitly what rod you use. Fishing skill is influenced based on things like time of day, moon phase, rod, bait, certain accessories and potions, as well as the depth and width of the water you're fishing in. Basically, the more fishing skill you have, the better chance of catching rarer fish. You need so much of it to reliably land Fishron, which is why while some people are right in that wooden rod can land him, it's not really a good idea to try because you'll waste worms more often than not

Yep, I guess thats how it works.

Once again, the wiki is kinda misleading for not mentioning any of this in the Summoning Duke Article...

Oh well. Gotta increment the Fishing power then!

Yep, I guess thats how it works.

Once again, the wiki is kinda misleading for not mentioning any of this in the Summoning Duke Article...

Oh well. Gotta increment the Fishing power then!
Try and get the mechanic's rod, it's pretty good. Also, if your not playing on a hardmode world, you have to.

It's because any rod can technically work. It's all based on the fishing skill rather than explicitly what rod you use. Fishing skill is influenced based on things like time of day, moon phase, rod, bait, certain accessories and potions, as well as the depth and width of the water you're fishing in. Basically, the more fishing skill you have, the better chance of catching rarer fish. You need so much of it to reliably land Fishron, which is why while some people are right in that wooden rod can land him, it's not really a good idea to try because you'll waste worms more often than not

Duke Fishron isn't like other catches. The Truffle Worm straight-up summons Duke Fishron every single time regardless of fishing skill and all of the factors affecting it. You can use any pole, including the wooden one, and no potions or other items are necessary. There's no element of randmoness here.

I tested myself just now with no fishing equipment, first try, wooden pole, new world, Duke came up instantly.

I'm not sure why OP is having trouble. It's possible there's a bug affecting certain scenarios -- someone mentioned changing languages? That seems worth a try.

Last edited:
Last I checked I could summon him with anything with a 100% chance of summon...
And last I checked was like, the most recent patch, so... yeah, I think you can summon him with anything.
And I summoned him at least 8 times in a row with just a wooden rod and nothing else without failing...

I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

I wonder if maybe the OP is running 1.2.4, for some reason, rather than 1.2.4.1? 1.2.4 had a bug where Duke wouldn't summon sometimes, yet still consumed the Truffle Worm.

I have a similar problem but my bait won't even shake I'm in 1.4.0.4 btw I have 5 truffle works and I'm using fleshcatcher no fishing potions or accesories

It should work with any level of fishing rod. Are you timing for the bobber to sink before reeling up? Being too slow will waste the bait. How much water is in the ocean? If it’s too drained it may not work. Is the ocean corrupted/crimted? Is your game modded, at risk of malware, or outdated?

I have the golden but it still won’t spawn
This thread is old, it is unlikely that the people will respond. Except for Darthmorf because they are a mod...
Anyway, make sure you are fishing in an ocean, no ordinary body of water will do it has to be large enough and you need to be close enough to the edge of the world. You can tell this by fishing with normal bait, if you canch red snappers, trout, shrimp and other ocean fish you are good, if you catch bass you need to fix it up.
You do NOT need a golden fishing rod, any will do and to my knowledge it does not even make the boss spawn faster.
Being too slow will not waste the bait, you can only lose bait from actually reeling in a fish, every summon will cost 1 worm every time for Duke, this is an exception where all other fish only have a chance to consume bait.
If you have a fisherman's pocket guide, fish finder, cell phone or the like your fishing power meter should read 'Warning!' instead of a number, if it doesn't it means that you have other bait that is prioritised in your inventory.
The ocean does NOT need to be pure, but even if that is a problem you can have the place be recognised as a pure ocean by water walking to the very edge of the world.
The boss CAN be summoned in a town, do what you will with this information.
That is just about everything I know, if anything I say is false let me know.

Back
Top Bottom