Dungeon Wall guide

IvoryPlants 🌳

Duke Fishron
To go along with this thread:
I present an updated Dungeon Grinder with Item and Mob hoiks designed to automatically farm the following:

Money (up to 60 Platinum/hr *updated*)
Ectoplasm (up to 6000 Etcoplasm/hr)
Key Molds
Dungeon mob drops

Video of the farm in action (with annotations):

Midway through the video I switch from mainly ectoplasm grinding to grinding for gold by hoiking the dungeon mobs to a pit just above the player and summoning 7 slime minions there while equipping a Lucky Coin. Here's a typical example of the drops after 30 minutes of grinding:

D4AA9BB30EDBD58B95353DB2CA7046DD8087FF29

After selling all the loot I end up with over 27 Platinum (on pace for 55 Platinum in an hour):

9AE77718FA0E07F9258CB7BBC15D5D200109B0CE

The farm remains relatively easy to build, but some explanation is required to understand how it works.

EDIT: the farm has been slightly modified - if you downloaded the initial version there's an updated download at the bottom.

Latest Schematics (with and without wires):

prSSItm.jpg

aYlEBIw.jpg

How the Farm Functions:

When the player first teleports into the farm, a bird statue on the far right is activated, spawning a bird that moves through the tunnel to the left. The bird passes over pressure plates that:

1) actuate the blocks above the bird statue, opening up a vertical column for subsequent birds
2) trigger the bird statue summoning more birds
3) activate 1-second timers that cause the Spear Traps in the two Spear Trap batteries to fire, and that cause the item hoiks and mob hoiks to be actuated and deactuated every second to move the mobs and items along

The additional summoned birds fly up through the vertical column to a horizontal segment lined with pressure plates. Eventually six birds will be summoned in total (the cap given the distance from the bird statue), which means those pressure plates will be continuously rapidly passed over. The pressure plates are hooked up to the Mimic and Shark statues, generating a high spawn rate of Mimics and Sharks from those statues and hoiks send those mobs to the kill chamber that has a Spear Trap battery and lava. Meanwhile, the Dungeon mobs that spawn in the top left area are hoiked into a pit that has a second Spear trap battery. Drops from the Dungeon mobs fall to the hoiks below and are delivered to the player. There are three platforms that alternate being actuated and de-actuated to prevent the Dungeon mobs from falling down into the hoiks.

The player sits in the player box and collects all the drops.

Money Grinding Mode:

To switch over to the massive money farm, the player hits a switch to the bottom right of the player box. This de-actuates the hoik over the column leading to the dungeon mob pit, causing all spawned dungeon mobs to be hoiked to a column above and to the right of the player box. The dungeon mobs then fall into a pit just to the top-right of the player and are hoiked left into a box above the player box. The player then summons slime minions into that box and have them hit the mobs for 1 damage. Wearing a Lucky Coin accessory will allow the player to generate 1.2 silver per hit on average, which usually translates into around 25-28 platinum per hour from the 7 slimes continuously hitting mobs that drop into that pit.

Ice Blocks and Jungle blocks are added to allow for key mold drops. I refrained from adding corruption/crimson or hallow blocks so that the farm wouldn't get covered by souls of night or light (there is no mechanism in place to collect the souls). However, there is actually no harm in having souls drop, so the additional biomes can be safely added (the ice blocks can be converted into 200 purple ice and 200 red ice for two more key mold drops).
, I'm going to teach you dungeon walls guide. Enjoy!
there's three types, and they look like this:
Dungeon_Wall_-_Brick.png
Brick =
55px-Blue_Armored_Bones.png
Blue armored bones,
55px-Necromancer.png
Necromancer,
35px-Skeleton_Commando.png
Skeleton commando, and
40px-Paladin.png
Paladin
Dungeon_Wall_-_Slab.png
Slab =
60px-Rusty_Armored_Bones.png
Rusty armored bones,
55px-Ragged_Caster.png
Ragged caster, and
45px-Skeleton_Sniper.png
Skeleton sniper
Dungeon_Wall_-_Tile.png
Tile =
60px-Hell_Armored_Bones.png
Hell armored bones,
55px-Diabolist.png
Diabolist, and
35px-Tactical_Skeleton.png
Tactical skeleton
So, if you see Diabolists in an area, then you're in the Tiled wall area, if you see Skeleton snipers, then you're in the Slab area, and so on. Bone lee spawns in every wall type, as well as dungeon spirits. Here I'm going to list all the possible loots from the different walls, Wiki style :cool:
every wall type =
10px-Bone_Feather.png
20px-Keybrand.png
15px-Wisp_in_a_Bottle.png
20px-Magnet_Sphere.png
20px-Armor_Polish.png
20px-Ectoplasm.png
20px-Tabi.png
20px-Black_Belt.png

Dungeon_Wall_-_Brick.png
=
30px-Shadowbeam_Staff.png
30px-Rocket_Launcher.png
25px-Paladin%27s_Hammer.png
20px-Paladin%27s_Shield.png
20px-Armor_Polish.png

Dungeon_Wall_-_Slab.png
=
30px-Spectre_Staff.png
20px-Rifle_Scope.png
30px-Sniper_Rifle.png

Dungeon_Wall_-_Tile.png
=
30px-Inferno_Fork.png
20px-SWAT_Helmet.png
30px-Tactical_Shotgun.png

as you can see, the brick wall type gives more special loot than Tiled and Slab.
Also as a note, a player is considered in the dungeon when they are -4 depth, so that means that that is where you can start building a farm.
Well, that's all from me. ;) thanks for viewing!

I usually don't include such info in my guides since this is straight up wiki info and the wiki has a more compact layout that is much easier to read. While the effort to post useful info in these forums is to be lauded, I think we should strive to post content that you cannot find in the wiki (posting wiki info in a guide is of course fine, but we should go beyond that by posting something original). Otherwise, these forums can easily turn into a copypasta of the wiki.

For instance, it would be worthwhile to investigate where exactly the walls need to be positioned for the wall-specific spawns to occur - from my investigations you only need the wall to be *behind* the spawn surface (dungeon brick surface of course), and not above that surface, but that still needs verification. This info is actually quite critical to be able to construct the multi-surface dungeon farm I feature in my guide, because the background walls don't usually line up so perfectly in most dungeons.

from my investigations you only need the wall to be *behind* the spawn surface (dungeon brick surface of course), and not above that surface, but that still needs verification.
That's what I've observed too, although just testing for minimal requirements for any dungeon mobs, not the different types. But believe you are correct.

That's what I've observed too, although just testing for minimal requirements for any dungeon mobs, not the different types. But believe you are correct.

I ended up doing testing for the different types of dungeon mobs. It actually came up initially by accident - when testing various set-ups I at one point had one dungeon wall type with dungeon brick below, but it was spawning the wrong mobs. When I dug away the bricks I noticed that there was a different dungeon wall type behind those bricks. This was the first indication that the walls above the bricks don't dictate what specific mobs spawn.

Oh, so you saying the wall directly behind the spawn surface block determines? I thought it was the wall tile directly above?

Yes, it's the wall tiles behind the bricks, not the wall tiles immediately above, although as I mentioned this still needs verification. Haven't had time to do much testing lately though.

Last edited:
Yes, it's the wall tiles behind the bricks, not the wall tiles immediately above, although as I mentioned this still needs verification. Haven't had time to do much testing lately though.
Pretty sure that can't be the case, otherwise only brick-type enemies would spawn throughout a newly generated dungeon regardless of wall type -- seeing as the only wall type to ever generate behind dungeon bricks is the brick one.

OK I ran a test, and here are the results:

B037D24C7451D53268FFF8D0570130071483C790

I replaced the dungeon walls with dirt walls using TEdit, but I kept the three different dungeon background walls behind the dungeon brick spawn surfaces - you can actually see a bit of the dungeon walls poking slightly above the spawn surfaces. As the picture indicates, dungeon mobs still spawn, and the spawns are based on which of the three dungeon walls are present behind the spawn surface.

I think this is pretty compelling evidence that it's only the background walls behind the spawn surface that matter, not the walls above.

OK I ran a test, and here are the results:

B037D24C7451D53268FFF8D0570130071483C790

I replaced the dungeon walls with dirt walls using TEdit, but I kept the three different dungeon background walls behind the dungeon brick spawn surfaces - you can actually see a bit of the dungeon walls poking slightly above the spawn surfaces. As the picture indicates, dungeon mobs still spawn, and the spawns are based on which of the three dungeon walls are present behind the spawn surface.

I think this is pretty compelling evidence that it's only the background walls behind the spawn surface that matter, not the walls above.
Wait, is that an efficient farm? o - o

Also, if you forget which skeletons spawn on which backgrounds, you can determine it by looking at the "Faction Flags" (dungeon skeleton banners) that appear below the ceiling.

For example, Necromantic Sign (dark purple banner with a purple triangle) represents the Nectomancer and Molten Legion Flag (dark red with a flame) represents Hell Armored Bones.

Back
Top Bottom