Fully Automated Dungeon Autofarm + Surface Interchanger (farm for all possible Dungeon drops)

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
This farm is part of a series of chain farms I presented in my chain farm guide. It is designed to be fully automated with automatic collection of dropped items, and with a surface interchanger that allows the player to pick which surface(s) to farm simultaneously. Here's the video showcasing the farm in action:

Dungeon Autofarm Snapshot:

q7noPl5.jpg

Dungeon Autofarm Schematics:

xgxByAd.jpg

0szexP6.jpg

How the Autofarm functions:

The player teleports into the player box from home base, and then mounts the minecart track inside. Teleporting inside automatically triggers the two bird statues. The top bird engine powers all the traps. It consists of a bird statue that spawns a bird that flies through the long tunnel, passing over pressure plates that activate the dart traps and spiky ball traps in sequence, before dying to a spear trap when it reaches the end of the tunnel. A pressure plate near the end loops back to the bird statue, creating a continuous loop of birds.

The other bird statue spawns a bird that is used in an automatic timer. The bird flies through a brief maze before opening an alternate path for the next bird, and dying to a dart trap at the end along with spawning another bird from the statue. After the 7th bird spawns in this sequence, it passes over a pressure plate near the end of its flight path that teleports the player to a collection track at the bottom of the farm, and actuates the spawn surfaces so that all drops fall to the surface just above the player for collection.

The dart traps fire darts that continuously attack and kill any mobs that spawn on any one of the three surfaces. The surfaces can be actuated to prevent spawns on that surface, or can be deactuated to enable spawns on that surface. This controls certain drops so that the player can farm for specific items available through mobs that only spawn on one of the three surfaces. There are three switches to the left of the player box that turn the surfaces on or off.

What mobs spawn is based on the background wall behind that surface (walls can be brick, tiled, or slab). Here's a list of the unique drops only available from one surface:

Slab Wall surface (top):
Sniper Rifle
Rifle Scope
Spectre Staff
Adhesive Bandage

Tiled Wall surface (middle):
Inferno Fork
Tactical Shotgun
SWAT Helmet

Brick Wall surface (bottom):
Rocket Launcher
Shadowbeam Staff
Paladin's Hammer
Paladin's Shield
Armor Polish

Challenge Question:

Can you guess what the long corridor 1 tile high to the left of the farm is for?

The long tunnel is for the Blazing Wheels so that they will go down that path and despawn when they get too far from the player. Blazing Wheels only spawn on surfaces with tiled walls in the background, and would accumulate over time and possibly reduce spawns of other mobs if left unchecked.

World Download:

http://www.filedropper.com/dicemanxultimatehubworldv64

Last edited:
Interesting that you've gone totally timer free with this build! I like the circuitous bird machine. Have you tried adding in platforms at the corners of the maze, to see if it makes the flight path smoother (and sexier)? As discussed back here.

Also, did you try making this grinder spawn all 3 dungeon mob varieties simultaneously? (With vertical strips of background wall.) I presume your design is for practicality, to help players focus on getting specific drops and also be able to customise the design to their dungeons better. Good job.

Can you guess what the long corridor 1 tile high to the left of the farm is for?
Short answer: it's clearly for the darts, silly! Long answer: I have not flipping idea! lol. It could be used for a safety feature that only lets you into the kill zone once the have finished firing - a little room with a bird statue relay, the bird will only be able to relay your open-door signal if it doesn't get killed instantly by darts!...

Interesting that you've gone totally timer free with this build! I like the circuitous bird machine. Have you tried adding in platforms at the corners of the maze, to see if it makes the flight path smoother (and sexier)? As discussed back here.

Interesting - never saw that thread back on the old forums but it will be useful for some other projects I have in mind! For the bird timer I actually am OK with the bouncing to increase the time between collections but when I'll need for the travel path to be more exact (such as in the cascading platform build I have in mind next) I'll remember to use platforms.

Also, did you try making this grinder spawn all 3 dungeon mob varieties simultaneously? (With vertical strips of background wall.) I presume your design is for practicality, to help players focus on getting specific drops and also be able to customise the design to their dungeons better. Good job.

The grinder does grind all three surfaces simultaneously if desired, but of course two of the three surfaces end up having less area above the surfaces. Vertical strips would be an interesting idea although they would cause one problem. In the current set-up shutting off some of the surfaces still uses the entire area above the remaining surface(s) for spawning, while using vertical strips would require shutting off of the areas above them. Of course this is assuming that a spawn event can still occur at a different dungeon background wall in the air before the actual spawn on the surface.

Short answer: it's clearly for the darts, silly! Long answer: I have not flipping idea! lol. It could be used for a safety feature that only lets you into the kill zone once the have finished firing - a little room with a bird statue relay, the bird will only be able to relay your open-door signal if it doesn't get killed instantly by darts!...
[/quote]

Clue: the tunnel is used to remove an unwanted guest ;).

Vertical strips would be an interesting idea although they would cause one problem. In the current set-up shutting off some of the surfaces still uses the entire area above the remaining surface(s) for spawning, while using vertical strips would require shutting off of the areas above them. Of course this is assuming that a spawn event can still occur at a different dungeon background wall in the air before the actual spawn on the surface.
I'm thinking that only the background of the spawn tile (on the surface) will matter. But sure, vertical striping would probably reduce spawn rate if selecting a single surface, although with a little bit of re-design I'm sure you could manage it...

Not sure now why you have your spawn surfaces so far apart? Could they in fact be adjacent (if the background is the sole determinant, and it still works when behind an actuated block). (Then time switch between them is you want to farm all types.)

Not sure now why you have your spawn surfaces so far apart? Could they in fact be adjacent (if the background is the sole determinant, and it still works when behind an actuated block). (Then time switch between them is you want to farm all types.)

I still need a bit of height above a surface to increase spawn rate for that surface, unless of course areas above surfaces have no impact unlike for spawn surfaces outside of the dungeon. I was thinking that the surfaces are a bit too close as it is - the top surface is fine but there is less area for the middle and bottom. I could have set the surfaces to alternate, but I'm not sure what would be gained by it since the spawn event could initiate anywhere in that area regardless of whether three surfaces are present or only one or two are present.

The background wall at the surface seems to be the sole determinant of what spawns (I tried having completely different walls immediately above the surface and it had no impact on what spawned).

I farmed the dungeon for about an hour today, and noticed a huge amount of souls above the track area. Do they hurt the drop count? And if so, is there a way to get up there easily to collect them?

I farmed the dungeon for about an hour today, and noticed a huge amount of souls above the track area. Do they hurt the drop count? And if so, is there a way to get up there easily to collect them?

The souls won't affect the drops at all - the reason is that you'll pick up all the new drops automatically, and the only drops that will disappear over time are the souls themselves. If you want to pick up the souls, you could install a door instead of a wall between you and the spiky ball area, but you'll also have to install an off switch (I didn't build one because my world features other better ways to farm souls).

The souls won't affect the drops at all - the reason is that you'll pick up all the new drops automatically, and the only drops that will disappear over time are the souls themselves. If you want to pick up the souls, you could install a door instead of a wall between you and the spiky ball area, but you'll also have to install an off switch (I didn't build one because my world features other better ways to farm souls).

Ok, cool. Don't really care about the souls right now, I don't know much about drop rates, so I was just wandering. Thanks!

I built this and the walls that I placed (The dungeon variants) don't seem to be spawning any enemies. I think this is because they were not 'naturally generated'. How did you get around this issue?

Last edited:
I built this and the walls that I placed (The dungeon variants) don't seem to be spawning any enemies. I think this is because they were not 'naturally generated'. How did you get around this issue?

You need to find a place in the dungeon where the three background walls are close to one another. Note that you only need the background walls to be behind the spawn surfaces (and not above) to spawn dungeon mobs that correspond to those background walls. This offers a fair bit of flexibility as far as where to build this farm.

You need to find a place in the dungeon where the three background walls are close to one another. Note that you only need the background walls to be behind the spawn surfaces (and not above) to spawn dungeon mobs that correspond to those background walls. This offers a fair bit of flexibility as far as where to build this farm.
I feared as such. :( Thanks anyway, and great build!

Back
Top Bottom