Enemy spawn rates

grogumole

Terrarian
I am starting to play for the first time in a few years and it's actually ridiculous how many enemies there are, I can't get through a night of just doing a task without being assaulted by some event. two blood moons within three nights, and the next night was a thirty minute, unrelenting eclipse. you can't just sit in a building because enemies can fly through walls. you can't do what you're trying to do because you're getting swarmed. what are you supposed to do? why can't you skip night? what is the point of being able to lay down and sleep in a bed if all that does is leave you vulnerable and not accelerate the time?

Even something as innocuous as slime rain is just an exercise in patience as I can't build what i'm trying to build without getting hit from above by things that aren't threats. nothing is a threat really. it's just tedious. NPC's are awful at defending themselves, and enemies can, for some reason, spawn atop my structures and fall into my little town leaving it incredibly vulnerable. i really don't see how this adds to the game, as the combat is pretty uninteresting unless it's one of the horde events and these barely qualify, and in my opinion, by oversaturating the game with these events they pad the game by forcing the player to deal with enemies instead of tasks, exploration, crafting, building, etc. rather than actually enhancing it.

interested in other opinions

I am starting to play for the first time in a few years and it's actually ridiculous how many enemies there are, I can't get through a night of just doing a task without being assaulted by some event. two blood moons within three nights, and the next night was a thirty minute, unrelenting eclipse. you can't just sit in a building because enemies can fly through walls. you can't do what you're trying to do because you're getting swarmed. what are you supposed to do? why can't you skip night? what is the point of being able to lay down and sleep in a bed if all that does is leave you vulnerable and not accelerate the time?

Even something as innocuous as slime rain is just an exercise in patience as I can't build what i'm trying to build without getting hit from above by things that aren't threats. nothing is a threat really. it's just tedious. NPC's are awful at defending themselves, and enemies can, for some reason, spawn atop my structures and fall into my little town leaving it incredibly vulnerable. i really don't see how this adds to the game, as the combat is pretty uninteresting unless it's one of the horde events and these barely qualify, and in my opinion, by oversaturating the game with these events they pad the game by forcing the player to deal with enemies instead of tasks, exploration, crafting, building, etc. rather than actually enhancing it.

interested in other opinions
Really most of the beggining is RNG with that happening, also there is journey mode, which inside it you can change enemy spawn rate, also using peace candles, calming potions and having NPCs around lower spawn rates too.

(Haha, I was typing this as GreyBrynn posted his comment) Journey mode, brother. Everything you talked about can be fixed by you entering god mode and/or slowing the enemy spawn rates

Sunflowers placed around your base can help a lot, especially when coupled with peace candles as has been suggested.

Once you have a few npcs in the base you won't have such a problem, as more npcs in an area reduces the spawn rate.

As for skipping the night, you can do so once a week using an enchanted sundial, but that cannot be fished up until hard mode which may be a little late for your current needs.

Really most of the beggining is RNG with that happening, also there is journey mode, which inside it you can change enemy spawn rate, also using peace candles, calming potions and having NPCs around lower spawn rates too.
(Haha, I was typing this as GreyBrynn posted his comment) Journey mode, brother. Everything you talked about can be fixed by you entering god mode and/or slowing the enemy spawn rates
Thank you, I'm doing a journey mode world right now and it's a lot of fun. Pretty interesting way to do something like that, I think part of the problem might have been using a world file from 2015 and just sort of being thrown into a weird part of the endgame that i didn't have the momentum for.

Sunflowers placed around your base can help a lot, especially when coupled with peace candles as has been suggested.

Once you have a few npcs in the base you won't have such a problem, as more npcs in an area reduces the spawn rate.

As for skipping the night, you can do so once a week using an enchanted sundial, but that cannot be fished up until hard mode which may be a little late for your current needs.
i didn't know sunflowers impacted that, interesting. it was really only a problem because I was trying to create the above ground glowing mushroom biome for that one npc and i just kept getting bombarded with enemies. have a lot of NPC's in my village thing but the event nights seem to ignore their protection. was just butthurt lol, it's not a real problem. even less so with journey mode, and despite my initial complaints the only change i made to the enemy slider was to turn it up to 2x.

Back
Top Bottom