Weapons & Equip Energy Shield

Scarecrow

Lunatic Cultist
you guys are all gamers, you should know what an energy shield is, if not, think halo, borderlands, bioshock infinite, all that jazz.
so what exactly is this going to provide for the player you may ask.
well it's a nifty little defenseive accessory crafted with 10 shroomite bars, 20 nanites, and 1 turtle shell.

energy shield 2.png

how does it work?
The shield works like this, when equipped you will be given little blue shield icons bellow your health that indicate your shield.. the amount you get is relative to the amount of health you have. (the maximum you can get without buffs is 150).

all damage you take is first absorbed by the shield. unlike health the shield is always set to a specific recharge rate (5 shield points per second) this seems rather rapid you might think, but it always takes 5 seconds for it to start recharging after taking a hit. even during the 5 second duration, being hit again will reset those 5 seconds.
if your shield takes a fatal blow, all excess damage is lowered by 50%
, basically if your shield has a capacity of 100, and you take 200 damage, the excess 100 damage will be lowered to 50. however when this happens it takes an extra 2 seconds for the shield to start recharging.

the catch though, is that the shield itself has no defense. 150 health plus -50% any excess damage of the shield killing blow is enough to make this a extremely useful accessory.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

why not a side grade to the ankh shield?

"but the ankh shield doesn't nee-"

SHUSH!

yeah, it isn't exactly needed, but hear me out. 1 energy shield, plus 1 ankh shield equals the Life Shield

here is what it looks like
Sun Shield 2.png

the Life shield works like this, you get all of the benefits of the ankh shield, its 4 defense and what not, however the debuff immunity will only work while you have points left in your shield bar. If you lose your shield, the debuff immunity is lost. defense and knockback immunity will remain the same regardless of how much shield you have left. it is a pure upgrade to the energy shield, but a side grade to the ankh shield.

but why stop there?

this shield item could open up a lot of new tinkering capability, having the no accessory bonus while shield is depleted drawback. because I don't want to go overboard I just compiled a list of possible combinations I think would work (most not necessary)

this+moon charm=Were Shield: grants werewolf buff so long your shield is not depleted.

this+paladin's shield=angelic shield: all damage absorbed for allies will deplete your shield instead of health.

this+ magic cuffs= arcane shield: all shield damage will restore mana

this+honeycomb= Bee Shield: SUPER AMAZING LEGENDARY AMP DAMAGE AT NO SHIELD COST all shield damage releases bees

this+panic necklace= Panic Shield: gives panic buff so long your shield is at 0.

any thoughts on my self proclaimed amazing shield.
make it a not self proclaimed amazing idea
or rip it to shreds like a pack of critical wolves.
one or the other.

Last edited:
Yes. Why the hell not, when you can why the hell DO. Also, the attachments don't seem to be working.
yeah I noticed that as soon as I posted the thread.

this is actually a copy paste from the old forums, so I wanted to test and see how reliable copy and pasting is.

when equipped the player is given 5 blue shield icons bellow the health bar. this is your shield meter. you are able to take 100 damage before you start taking actual damage. the shield takes 5 seconds to start recharging, but it recharges at 10 "SP" per second, meaning it recharges really fast. getting hit will reset its 5 second timer, even before it starts recharging.

you might be wondering about defense. well, if shields matched the defense of the player, it would be really easy to exploit it, so shields will have 20% of whatever your defense is. since the maximum from what I am aware is 154 (including buffs) the most defense a shield could ever have is 30.8 defense (this would probably round up to 31 defense, but 1 defense point won't make a difference)

The shield capacity should be proportional to your maximum health. So, it would be 20% of your maximum life. At 400 health, it would be 80. At the maximum, it would be 120. I mean, that doesn't even sound like enough. It could be bumped up to 30% so the shield can survive more than a single hit from an Angry Trapper.

One question though, will damage bleed through the shield? By this I mean, when your shield depletes, does it still soak up all the damage from the hit? Or does the remaining damage get deducted from your main health pool?

I also think that the shield should either have no defence, or a fixed amount that is completely separate to your armour's.

yeah, it isn't exactly needed, but hear me out. 1 energy shield, plus 1 ankh shield equals the Life Shield

here is what it looks like View attachment 690

the sun shield works like this, you get all of the benefits of the ankh shield, its 4 defense and what not, however the debuff immunity will only work while you have points left in your shield bar. If you lose your shield, the debuff immunity is lost. defense and knockback immunity will remain the same regardless of how much shield you have left. it is a pure upgrade to the energy shield, but a side grade to the ankh shield.

but why stop there?

this shield item could open up a lot of new tinkering capability, having the no accessory bonus while shield is depleted drawback. because I don't want to go overboard I just compiled a list of possible combinations I think would work (most not necessary)

One small thing first, is this shield called the Life or Sun shield? Because you've called it two different things (shown bolded).

Another thing to note is if this is a side-grade, and intended to be such, it should require the Ankh Charm, not the shield. It just makes more sense for an infinitely-obtainable item to be the main ingredient in comparison to something that has a limited quantity in a single world.

I also can't find any reason for any of the tinkered suggestions. The whole energy shield concept is nice by itself, I'll definitely admit that.

Something I may suggest, as a suggested change to the idea, is that the shield could be directional (the direction you are pointing your cursor, covering 120 degrees) instead of surrounding you whole. Otherwise, it is just an indirect health buff. Other games like Halo and Borderlands have shields to create fast-paced gameplay, while being low on health on those games guarantees your next opponent a small advantage. This game is already fast-paced and you can get your health back much faster than you can on the aforementioned games.

Or, the directional shield could be a side-grade to this idea, while having double the capacity (so 40% maximum health, or 60% if it gets raised to 30% like I have suggested). This would mean that skill has a factor applied to the concept. And it is always nice for your skill to contribute to the little things.

Energy shield + 12 beetle husks = Beetle Shield. The beetle shield is basically the same, but when avoiding damage, your shield bar goes up by 5% up to 15%. It's basically a weaker version of the beetle shell's set bonus. And it does stack with it, adding up to a lot of defence. The other small bonus is 5 extra normal defense.

I reworked the way the shield works a little bit, I replaced the defense for the shield with the new ability to nullify any excess damage taken that would normally make you take damage anyways, even with the shield. in other words, it gives you a free leeway hit no matter what. however the consequence is that it takes slightly longer to recharge if you take a blow like that. as it is now though I need to rethink some balance remedy for things such as the dungeon guardian, because this essentially lets you survive a dungeon guardian hit once every 7 seconds.

edit: I put a remedy on that makes it so you do still take damage, however all excess damage is lowered by half. personally I am not too worried about the dungeon guardian because this is post plantera tier. you should have beaten skeletron eons ago. from what I understand it would still be possible to tank a dungeon guardian hit with this.

Last edited:
MegaMage314 used thread necromancy! It's not very effective...

This is a pretty awesome idea, and those sprites are great as well. Support!

Last edited:
what about a magma shield: crafting: lava charm + energy shield + magma stone = magma shield
effects: energy shield buff, lava charm buff and whenever your shield takes damage it sets that enemy on fire.

How about a shield that has an effect when it breaks, like a panic shield that gives a 1.5x movement speed boost while the shield is down?

I remember this! I actually made some sprites for this, though I think it was as TO was headed out - I'm not sure if you saw them. Anyway, for the sake of... something, here they are:
angelicShield.png

Angelic Shield
arcaneShield.png

Arcane Shield
beeShield.png

Bee Shield
wereShield.png

Were Shield.

I will say that you probably shouldn't have the magic shield named the "Arcane Shield", because that gives us the modified "Arcane Arcane Shield".

I remember this! I actually made some sprites for this, though I think it was as TO was headed out - I'm not sure if you saw them. Anyway, for the sake of... something, here they are:
View attachment 14757
Angelic Shield
View attachment 14758
Arcane Shield
View attachment 14759
Bee Shield
View attachment 14760
Were Shield.

I will say that you probably shouldn't have the magic shield named the "Arcane Shield", because that gives us the modified "Arcane Arcane Shield".

the lucky lucky horseshoe would like to have a word with you.

I just realized because of how unpronounced the bold letters are on TCF, I gotta completely reformat this.

Okay, so the Were while will be official in the suggestion for sure, but I could use some help deciding on 1more.

Will the shields cloak w/ the Shroomite armor bonus? I can't imagine why they wouldn't, but still. On another note, you could have the cloaking shield, which makes you invisible or transparent while you have no shield charge. I don't know whether that would give Shroomite bonus while active. I imagine not, though.

Will the shields cloak w/ the Shroomite armor bonus? I can't imagine why they wouldn't, but still. On another note, you could have the cloaking shield, which makes you invisible or transparent while you have no shield charge. I don't know whether that would give Shroomite bonus while active. I imagine not, though.
the problem with invisibility in its own right, is that its useless outside of multiplayer.

Back
Top Bottom