Engineering Builds by DicemanX

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
I decided to start up a thread in this forum to showcase some of my engineering creations that I felt were visually pleasing. While function is much more important than form in everything that I engineer, I still strive to make the contraptions look nice. Below are what I consider to be my best pieces.

I really like to create works with heavy contrasts usually favoring red/orange/yellow colors contrasted with a dark grey or black brick. I also tend to favor mixing grey brick and slab walls with regular torches for lighting.

Base in my main world, designed to be practical and easy to navigate:

yyEI1um.jpg

40sH9aK.jpg

0aJ9Z9W.jpg

F8F98B34B2EF84B684644FE9A960609EB802F585

ylFqoIw.jpg

XE2c0Fk.jpg

9BkJBSk.jpg

5A7C2D84D67FC16F86E778A662006BC33C025954

C9PZRof.jpg

SXLuW1Y.jpg

TprqFoV.jpg

P0NgasI.jpg

OyIljNz.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I'd love to see some of the wiring. I believe that the spear trap arenas have rather simple wiring but how complex is the passcode-protected door? I'm not that much into engineering so I can't imagine it directly. I didn't even know that one could use torches(?) like in the slot machine and digital clock.

I mostly like your color choices. Sometimes the (forest) background doesn't suit your constructions but I think that's rather unavoidable and you probably accepted it intentionally.

By the way, do you use any honey in your arenas? I can't see any of it but your buildings are so reddish/orange so your honey may be hiding somewhere. Or isn't it necessary so you decided to not include it at all?

Very nice. I'd love to see some of the wiring. I believe that the spear trap arenas have rather simple wiring but how complex is the passcode-protected door? I'm not that much into engineering so I can't imagine it directly.

It looks pretty complex:

ym9hlYF.jpg

Not nearly as bad as the ALU/converter though:

xrLMHr9.jpg

By the way, do you use any honey in your arenas? I can't see any of it but your buildings are so reddish/orange so your honey may be hiding somewhere. Or isn't it necessary so you decided to not include it at all?

Some arenas do use honey, although the others get health replenishment through hearts when bosses are downed.

These are great and I love that you created a thread to showcase them all. Fantastic design style to go along with fabulous wiring.

My favorite is the efficient display of the paintings in the Juke Box. All that linear goodness and lined up edges. :)

These are great and I love that you created a thread to showcase them all. Fantastic design style to go along with fabulous wiring.

My favorite is the efficient display of the paintings in the Juke Box. All that linear goodness and lined up edges. :)

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words! I plan to improve my designs once 1.3 is released - there's plenty of inspiration in these forums :). I like how the jukebox ended up, it's just too bad some of the paintings don't look so nice!

how does the clock work?

In a nutshell, a 1-second timer activates a skeleton statue and sends it down a hoik track that has pressure plates that activate the appropriate segments in the seven-segment display. For instance, transitioning from the digit 0 to the digit 1 requires the shutting off of 4 of the segments, and thus there are 4 pressure plates hooked up to those segments. Every time a skeleton goes down one track, it passes over a pressure plate that changes the path of the next skeleton, sending it to an adjacent parallel track that converts the digit to the next one. There are 5 such sets of parallel tracks, one set per digit (two are needed for the seconds, 2 more are needed for the minutes, and a 5th is needed for the hours 1 through 12.

The schematic is presented here:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...t-functions-option-to-set-starting-time.6526/

You do a damn fine job of bringing aesthetics to what could otherwise be just ugly machines.

Even your wiring pics are circuit board art.

I never thought of the wiring diagrams as art before, but you're right - they could be viewed as cicuit board art! I purposefully separate wire colors so that it's easier to make sense of the wiring, which produces the aesthetic effect :).

If you don't mind me asking, what's the secret to wiring the triple-teleporter, 1-second timer set-up in the Fishron farm? I'm trying to link my own together but I just go between two of the teleporters.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the secret to wiring the triple-teleporter, 1-second timer set-up in the Fishron farm? I'm trying to link my own together but I just go between two of the teleporters.

The information you need can be found in this video:

Skip to the 15:46 mark - I explain the 3 teleport system and then I go on to explain the 4 teleporter system.

The information you need can be found in this video:

Skip to the 15:46 mark - I explain the 3 teleport system and then I go on to explain the 4 teleporter system.
Great thanks, couldn't find which video might have that explanation. I downloaded the world and checked out the teleporter hub and farms, it's an amazing build. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom