Biomes & Nature Enhancing Terraria with Immersive Ambient Sounds: Elevating Cave Exploration

OlleWernersson

Terrarian
Additional ambient sounds aren't originally my concept, as I've noticed discussions about this topic among other individuals here. However, I firmly believe that it is a feature that would be greatly appreciated by a multitude of players, particularly those who set their ambient volume to 100% and lower the music volume.

Proposal
Consider the addition of more ambient sounds in the caves, such as:
  • Low-frequency atmosphere in larger caves.
  • Echoing in caves with hard surfaces like stone.
  • Long distant sounds as they travel through the cave.
Picture yourself entering a cave system; as the melodic tones of the forest gradually fade, you begin to perceive the distant sounds of dripping water and echoing echoes...
1692085376909.png

What would this feature achieve?
  • These auditory additions promise to elevate your Terraria adventure, making every underground journey a sensory masterpiece.
  • Increased awareness of distant mobs in caves, even if you prefer playing with a more zoomed-in view.
Presently, music in Terraria plays without interruption during exploration. However, it's evident that some sounds suggested here might clash with the ongoing music. With this in mind, I'd like to suggest a couple of potential solutions:
  1. Instead of having the underground music play continuously, it could activate periodically to prevent any dissonance. (Setting toggle for this perhaps)
  2. An alternative solution could involve decreasing the music volume upon entering expansive caves that emphasize low-frequency ambiance.
Feel free to suggest any ambient sounds that you wish were in the game
@World's biggest... had some good ideas regarding sounds made from the Crimson Hearts and Shadow Orbs: heartbeat sounds for the Crimson Heart, and faint wailing or ghostly sounds – quite creepy. As for the Shadow Orbs, @Yousef the H suggested another idea to give them a slight screeching or screaming sound that could reflect the Eater of Worlds.

@The Grimwar had some ideas that I liked: near and inside the caverns, one would hear the screeches of bats, the sounds of a pickaxe striking stone, and the explosion from someone setting off a bomb."

Last edited:
More ambient sounds are not my idea as I've seen other people talk about it here, but I do believe it is something that would be appreciated alot by many people.

I though of some cave sounds and came up with a list of sounds that I think would be cool:
- droplet sound from the existing waterdroplets
- low-frequency atmosphere in larger caves
- echoing in caves with hard sufaces like stone
- long distant sounds as the sounds travel through the cave.

I'd love this

I'd love this
I recently discovered that droplet sounds are already implemented in the game! I suppose my music volume was set too high, and my ambient sound was too low for me to notice them.

I have now removed that aspect from my suggestion and included potential solutions for integrating these sounds with the in-game music

I love this idea as I am one of the people who turn music off and ambient sounds 100% lol the music kinda kills the mood for me ya know? The ambient sounds lull me into a more immersive experience. If anything, the background score could've been ambient, to match each biome

I love this idea as I am one of the people who turn music off and ambient sounds 100% lol the music kinda kills the mood for me ya know? The ambient sounds lull me into a more immersive experience. If anything, the background score could've been ambient, to match each biome
I completely agree that the music can be distracting, making it more difficult to hear various mobs and their sounds, as well as the sounds of liquids running or dripping. Sometimes, we simply need to relax. Therefore, having an option to occasionally tune in the music could be a nice addition. But honestly, having more ambient sounds like the crimson heart beating and more things like that would work perfectly.

I completely agree that the music can be distracting, making it more difficult to hear various mobs and their sounds, as well as the sounds of liquids running or dripping. Sometimes, we simply need to relax. Therefore, having an option to occasionally tune in the music could be a nice addition. But honestly, having more ambient sounds like the crimson heart beating and more things like that would work perfectly.
If the crimson heart had a beating sound, what kind of sound would the shadow orb make, if any?

It would be icing on top if you could just hear drops of water in caves should you come across pools of water while deep in underground.
I would definitely like to listen to some natural cave noises for my future cave exploration.

It would be icing on top if you could just hear drops of water in caves should you come across pools of water while deep in underground.
I would definitely like to listen to some natural cave noises for my future cave exploration.
You can actually hear the drops of water right now! I recently discovered this while playing with no music and ambient sounds set to 100%

I completely agree. Having more ambient cave sounds would be cool

Additional ambient sounds aren't originally my concept, as I've noticed discussions about this topic among other individuals here. However, I firmly believe that it is a feature that would be greatly appreciated by a multitude of players, particularly those who set their ambient volume to 100% and lower the music volume.

I though of some cave sounds and came up with a list of sounds that I think would be cool:
- low-frequency atmosphere in larger caves
- echoing in caves with hard sufaces like stone
- long distant sounds as they travel through the cave.

Picture yourself entering a cave system; as the melodic tones of the forest gradually fade, you begin to perceive the distant sounds of dripping water and echoing echoes...
View attachment 420817
Presently, music in Terraria plays without interruption during exploration. However, it's evident that some sounds suggested here might clash with the ongoing music. With this in mind, I'd like to suggest a couple of potential solutions:
  1. Instead of having the underground music play continuously, it could activate periodically to prevent any dissonance. (Setting toggle for this perhaps)
  2. An alternative solution could involve decreasing the music volume upon entering expansive caves that emphasize low-frequency ambiance.
Feel free to suggest any ambient sounds that you wish were in the game
I'll be honest.

This sounds Mythical and Legendary. This NEEDS to be a thing, sound design is one of the most underrated things in a video game and the fact that this suggestion brings attention to it is really good.

I'll be honest.

This sounds Mythical and Legendary. This NEEDS to be a thing, sound design is one of the most underrated things in a video game and the fact that this suggestion brings attention to it is really good.
Thanks for the positive comment! Are there any sounds that you wish were in the game?

Thanks for the positive comment! Are there any sounds that you wish were in the game?
The screeches of bats, less common than that, the sounds of a pickaxe striking stone, rarely, an explosion from someone setting off a bomb, and even more rarely, the sound of some rando ripping the mightiest fart you would ever hear echoing across the cave walls.

Maybe have the sounds start when you're at specific depths?
That would make it easy to implement. However, personally, I would highly appreciate it if the sounds were more prevalent when you are actually in the caves. For example, if you are just digging down in a narrow hole, then I wouldn't want to hear echoes or some low-frequency atmosphere.

Wouldn't it be cool if you dug into a large cave, and right as you stepped in, you would immediately feel the atmosphere difference?

The screeches of bats, less common than that, the sounds of a pickaxe striking stone, rarely, an explosion from someone setting off a bomb, and even more rarely, the sound of some rando ripping the mightiest fart you would ever hear echoing across the cave walls.
The first three sounds would be a nice touch, I think: hearing screeches of bats nearby and when in the caverns. Similarly, near and in the caverns, you would be able to hear the undead miners sometimes mining and setting off bombs. The last one is interesting...

Back
Top Bottom