Game Mechanics Engaging ambient effects when near a Shadow Orb/Crimson Heart

Want this stuff in the game?

• Yes please devs

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heed my advice and I will support (only select if you comment with a change)

• Straight-up no (I don't think it would fit well with the game's style and look)

• Straight-up no (I just don't like it)

• No for any other reason

• Total voters
So a little while ago we got a 1.3.6 spoiler that showed, amongst many other things, a new music track for towns. Two of those "other things" were graphical improvements and effects that I got really excited about (a new falling star animation with glow and a new pink glowy moon). So I thought, why not introduce some more ambient effects? I've always thought that these unique items, the Shadow Orb and Crimson Heart are a missed opportunity to make the game more engaging and give it some graphical flavour. So here are my ideas on how these could be revamped. They may not be to everyone's taste (they are a pretty big change) but I'm not gonna lie, I would love to see these come to Terraria sometime in the future.
  • As the player gets close to a Shadow Orb, the ambient light decreases and turns more purple. Meanwhile the orb itself will have a pulsing after-effect and throw off wispy waves of shadow, just like a solar eruption in real life (not the Terraria weapon lol). Also, the purple light it gives off would be much brighter and more intense than it is now. We could also have a background sound effect of faint wailing or ghostly sounds. Creepy. Normal music and sound effects would become muffled, but only slightly, because we don't want the player to notice this change until it is no longer in effect. When the orb is broken, it's like a spell has been lifted. A ripple flows from the spot the orb was located to the sides of the screen and a scary distorted sound effect plays. The light level returns to normal (still pretty dark though cause it's in the corruption after all), and the intense purple colour drains away.
  • As the player nears a Crimson Heart, the ambient light does NOT decrease but it does turn more red, and also pulsate quite visibly. As with the Shadow Orb, the light the actual blocks give off would be much more red and intense. Additionally, as we get closer, the music and other sound effects would become muffled, as though we are underwater, and we hear a thump thump, thump thump as the Crimson Heart beats. The pulsating light effects would be synchronized with these sounds. They would get faster and more urgent as we get closer. When the player breaks the heart, it's much more violent than the Shadow Orb. The player is pushed away forcefully, a loud, distorted, anguished cry would sound, blood and gore particles would spray in all directions and then all light and sound returns to normal. Similar to the Shadow Orb, there is also a ripple effect, but it is not quite as pronounced. The item that the heart drops upon being broken would glow red for a few seconds before returning to normal.
Phew, that was a long one. I think I managed to get all my ideas down. If you have anything additional to suggest, please do, I'll put it in it's own little spoiler below. Comment and vote on the poll to tell me what you think, I would appreciate that.

It sounds cool, but the screaming would definitely kill headphone users hurt my ears. It would also (edit: probably)get Terraria rated mature for jumpscares.... But otherwise good idea.

Last edited:
These sound horrifying and very detailed, but I wouldn't mind something more than just complete silence from them as it is now. A beating heart sound would add a lot, I think.

Back
Top Bottom