tModLoader Experience and Classes

Are the new class advancement requirements reasonable?

• Yes! Major changes are NOT needed.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • The Monster/Boss Orb requirements are reasonable, but not the other requirements.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The other requirements are reasonable, but not the Monster/Boss Orb requirements.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No! Major changes are needed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well main problem with this was lack of logging as well makes it really hard. I got around this by using a feature of screen since I run it on an ubuntu server.

I doubt many others will ask for such a feature but keeping cheat features locked on a server is generally a good idea :)
It would be nice to limit the commands on servers, but I don't think it's worth the effort given that any player could simply hop on to a local map to use the commands if they were so inclined. Experience is stored on characters, not maps.

How about giving the Novice the ability to gain Increased Experience when killing enemies in comparison to other classes? That way players are more likely to use the class for EXP Farming, even in the long-run!

Also, Midas Debuff for the Rogue! Give me them coins!
I like it. Should Assassin and/or Ninja have this as well? It doesn't necessarily suit them, but losing the effect at final class would feel strange.

Any word on the class that limits summon maximum to 1 but is very powerful?

I made a minion master and I gotta say... there is one major flaw with having tons of pets. There seems to be some sort of limit to how many times enemies can be hit. So having 15 minions is just as effective against a boss as, say, having 5 minions (with a couple of exceptions).

It does offer an interesting gameplay style though, insofar as the minion master is great for killing lots of enemies (just kinda sucks for taking out single targets if there are too many constant hits happening)
Alas, there is nothing that can be done about that

Re: Single Minion class
No word on this yet.

Might be the colors. Especially the green is a tad too saturated. How about just using the background colors you're using yourself at the moment?
I tried your border, the background distortion, no shadow, and the old colours. It still came out blurry, especially in the borders, so I think that we'll just stick with the current token sprites for the time being. Thank you very much though! I appreciate your efforts.

Both Assasins and Ninja are mercenaries for hire, so why not? They just prefer missions over schemes, they still work for them coins!

Might even open up a third subclass pertaining this love for cash. A Merchant with an emphasis on supply of consumables by selling for greater values and buying at lower ones is possible.

Both Assasins and Ninja are mercenaries for hire, so why not? They just prefer missions over schemes, they still work for them coins!

Might even open up a third subclass pertaining this love for cash. A Merchant with an emphasis on supply of consumables by selling for greater values and buying at lower ones is possible.

I wonder if a merchant/gambler etc. type class would be possible. Something that could increase loot rarity, money drops etc. while having relatively no productive combat stats.

Non-combat classes, in general, would be interesting.

I wonder if a merchant/gambler etc. type class would be possible. Something that could increase loot rarity, money drops etc. while having relatively no productive combat stats.

Non-combat classes, in general, would be interesting.
With classes starting back up, my focus is on polishing what we already have more-so than adding new content. :)

Here is my current to-do list (also listed on the main post with current progress):
v0.5.x
-center experience requirement in UI
-prevent experience gain when a class token is not worn
-hide the experience UI when a class token is not worn
-Rogue/Assassin/Ninja inflict Midas Debuff by chance on hit
-Fix new Assassin buffs persist after token is removed
-reduce total experience required for levels 1-10 from 1500 to 1085
-save UI visibility with character to prevent visibility reset during updates

Later
-potentially implement a config file to allow customization of class bonuses
-potentially implement a new minion class that is limited to one (super-powered) minion

I feel like we are finally getting close to "release". Does anyone know if there is a way to move this thread over to the release forums or if I will have to make a new post?

Last edited:
Possible bug report: Mobs killed in lava give EXP. When in the Cavern layer, your experience goes up almost constantly by doing nothing. Not sure if it can be fixed, but I thought I should mention it.

Does anyone know if there is a way to move this thread over to the release forums or if I will have to make a new post?

I think the mods can move it. Try messaging them when this hits "release" stage.

Possible bug report: Mobs killed in lava give EXP. When in the Cavern layer, your experience goes up almost constantly by doing nothing. Not sure if it can be fixed, but I thought I should mention it.
I can think of a few ways to change this. That said, I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature. Killing things with lava is a big part of Terraria for some people.

Would you say that the amount of experience that you are gaining is game breaking? I will try reducing the distance for gaining experience from 20,000 down to 5,000 to see if this makes a big difference (bosses will still award experience at any distance).

I think the mods can move it. Try messaging them when this hits "release" stage.
Thanks. I'll do that when the time comes.

Would you say that the amount of experience that you are gaining is game breaking?

I don't think it's that terrible, mostly just unexpected. Ideally you don't want EXP to be gained just by doing nothing, but there's no way to distinguish a player-built lava trap from a random pool. I haven't tested it yet, but I also don't think that Cavern mobs give much EXP except for early-game.

I will try reducing the distance for gaining experience from 20,000 down to 5,000 to see if this makes a big difference.

20,000 to 5,000 what? Pixels?

Personally I like that monsters killed with lava give xp. Primarily because I create mob farms and use lava quite a bit.

5,000 range doesn't mean you don't get xp if something dies off screen, right?

I don't really find anything wrong with the current range, TBH. Maybe make range a config option so people can adjust it away from the default if they find it problematic?

Personally I like that monsters killed with lava give xp. Primarily because I create mob farms and use lava quite a bit.

5,000 range doesn't mean you don't get xp if something dies off screen, right?

I don't really find anything wrong with the current range, TBH. Maybe make range a config option so people can adjust it away from the default if they find it problematic?
Depending on resolution, a screen is generally 1000-2000 distance units. I don't think that they are actually measured in pixels though.

I went for a mixed approach.
-If no player is within 5000 and it is not a boss, then no experience is given to anyone.
-If a player is within 5000 and it is not a boss, then all players within 20,000 receive experience.
-If it is a boss, all players receive experience.

That's fantastic. My main concern with this was specifically in regard to boss deaths because they sometimes die offscreen (from fire or some kind of DOT damage)

That's fantastic. My main concern with this was specifically in regard to boss deaths because they sometimes die offscreen (from fire or some kind of DOT damage)
Ever since a fairly early version, bosses have given experience to all players - even dead ones. :)

I'd hate for anyone to miss out on the experience from the first WOF, etc.

Edit: New Version
Note that you no longer gain experience when no class token is equipped. This should make the Novice token relevant.
v0.5.3
-PREVENT EXP GAIN WHEN NO TOKEN IS EQUIPPED - this makes the Novice token necessary and worth using
-hide the experience UI when a class token is not worn
-Rogue/Assassin/Ninja inflict Midas Debuff by chance on hit
-Fix new Assassin buffs persist after token is removed
-reduce total experience required for levels 1-10 from 1500 to 1085
-save UI visibility with character to prevent visibility reset during updates
-fixed a bug that could prevent /explist from accurately displaying "No Class"
-if no player is within distance 5,000 of dying npc, no experience is awarded unless it was a boss (experience share distance is still 20,000)
-removed a trace that was still active in /explist
-center experience requirement in UI (nearly centered)

Last edited:
Ever since a fairly early version, bosses have given experience to all players - even dead ones. :)

I'd hate for anyone to miss out on the experience from the first WOF, etc.

Edit: New Version
Note that you no longer gain experience when no class token is equipped. This should make the Novice token relevant.

You sir, are an absolute MAD MAN with all these updates.

One of the better/best mods available.

The xp bar is gone after this update completely ? i use the tier 2 mage token and there is no xp bar but im still gaining levels

I'm having this exact problem as well. Otherwise, the changes are quite welcome (and I think the lowering of the xp bar is nice for early levels). Thank you!

I installed the mod via ingame mod browser and enabled it, reloaded it, and can't seem to get this mod to work at all. I have no idea what the token is and how to get it. There is no indication in game that the mod is even working at all. :s

Back
Top Bottom