tModLoader Experience and Classes

Are the new class advancement requirements reasonable?

• Yes! Major changes are NOT needed.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • The Monster/Boss Orb requirements are reasonable, but not the other requirements.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The other requirements are reasonable, but not the Monster/Boss Orb requirements.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No! Major changes are needed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just out of curiosity, do I need to change something with the commands after updating from 0.4 or older to 0.5?
No, the commands should work the same as they did before. Which command isn't working for you?

I took another shot at the sprites. I converted my shield idea into a "badge" idea, to better fit the large sprites.

This is the version where I kept the sprites the original size:
rkNc5nl.png

And this version where I resized the icons to have some whitespace around the icons. Can make the image a little bit blurry, but I prefer these myself:
HDrjtWG.png

I'm personally still not happy with them, but I suck at art, so this is the best I'll ever do.

Tell me what you think.
SOLD! I'll nab that border/background, apply it to the rest, and have these swanky sprites up in the next version. Thank you!

Is there a simple way on a server to deny people from using commands such as explvlset/add/etc?
Not presently other than simply asking them not to (you can check everyone's level with /explist to keep them honest). If several people have use for this feature, then I might consider adding it.

I am now level 42 instead of 21 and all hp bonusesses from the item are gone .... what did you do ?
Long story short, v0.5.0 reduced level requirements and scaled back class bonuses to compensate. Nearly all bonuses per amount of experience are unchanged. Your total accumulated experience is also unchanged. See the changelog on the main post for more details.

However, I did reduce overall life and removed it from squish classes in an effort to cut back the overall power from this mod. However, I think that I will give all classes at least 0.5 life growth in the next version. It's just more satisfying to see your max life slowly rise.

Last edited:
No, the commands should work the same as they did before. Which command isn't working for you?

SOLD! I'll nab that border, apply it to the rest, and have these swanky sprites up in the next version. Thank you!

Not presently other than simply asking them not to (you can check everyone's level with /explist to keep them honest). If several people have use for this feature, then I might consider adding it.

Long story short, v0.5.0 reduced level requirements but also reduced class bonuses. Nearly all bonuses per amount of experience are unchanged. Your total accumulated experience is also unchanged. See the changelog on the main post for more details.

However, I did reduce overall life and removed it from squish classes in an effort to cut back the overall power from this mod. However, I think that I will give all classes at least 0.5 life growth in the next version. It's just more satisfying to see your max life slowly rise.
I preferred the old way.....

Here's all the files related to the badge icons, in case you want to use them. I've put in a bit of shadow and noise on the inside of the badge, and that really makes a difference. So just using the border probably won't give the same effect.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4552554/Icons_Source.zip
Thank you, thank you!

EDIT
v0.5.2
-all classes now have a minimum of 0.5 life growth
-removed Novice’s mana growth stat
-removed Assassin/Ninja/HybridII “can see treasure” because it can be obtrusive
-Assassin Opener Attack: now correctly disabled by ranged and magic in addition to melee, can now be performed with yo-yo but deals only half of bonus damage, still cannot be performed with melee projectiles (boomerang, magic sword projectiles, etc), hugely increased damage to make the playstyle more viable
New update will be up in the next hour or two.

@Mayor Bear It turned out that yo-yo was not triggering Opener Attack. This has been fixed. I thought that you might like to know in case you decided on Assassin. :)

compare.png

Edit: the far right should read "Resize, No Shadow"
I'm not sure if the changes work out well once the sprite is actually in-game. Thoughts?

For now, I'll just put up the new version without changing the sprites.

Last edited:
Goodie, I was just about to suggest that Novice's HP/Mana gains be increased, since a) just a few extra HP/Mana at level 10 makes crafting the Novice Token a waste of an accessory slot and b) People are still going to want to upgrade to Tier 2 for the other advantages, so it'd be okay if Novice had better gains.

Glad to see that's gonna be rebalanced.

Edit: Oh, Novice only gives 0.5. My feedback is that it should probably be higher. At level 10, which is when most people will probably upgrade it, that's only +5HP. Which makes it less useful than a Shackle.Assuming someone goes through the trouble of levelling up to 65 or even 100, that's just +50HP.

How about +1.5 HP per level and maybe 0.5 MP per level?

That's +15/+5 at level 10, which isn't so bad since hitting level 10 is fairly fast and easy.

If someone for some reason doesn't want to upgrade to T2/T3 bonuses, and grind to level 100, that's +150/+50, which is pretty good and well deserved, given the amount of grinding necessary to hit that.

Whatcha' think? It'd still make more sense to just grab the other class tokens but at least it won't be a waste of space to get the novice class in the early going.

Last edited:
Goodie, I was just about to suggest that Novice's HP/Mana gains be increased, since a) just a few extra HP/Mana at level 10 makes crafting the Novice Token a waste of an accessory slot and b) People are still going to want to upgrade to Tier 2 for the other advantages.

Glad to see that's gonna be rebalanced.
I actually nerfed the poor Novice by taking away its mana, but I didn't touch the health.
-the 0.5 hp/level didn't make sense given that several classes had none so I gave all classes at least 0.5 hp/level
-the 0.5 mp/level didn't make sense given that several classes had none so I took it away from Novice

Novice really isn't a very good accessory, but at least its free and fills a slot early on. The first advancement is at 1500 experience, but I might make it a little earlier (i.e., reduce the experience needed in the first 10 level).

Edit:

I do not plan on increasing the Novice health growth. Most classes have 0.5 and it would be strange for Novice to have more than a Tier 2/3. I also do not plan on putting back the mana growth given that most classes do not have mana growth. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0MAvKt4u50dTXNNUFhCekNOQlU/view?usp=sharing)

I do agree that there should be a reason to use the Novice token, but I don't think that health/mana is the answer. I might prevent experience gain when no token is equipped. This would force players to use the Novice token in order to progress.

Last edited:
Well main problem with this was lack of logging as well makes it really hard. I got around this by using a feature of screen since I run it on an ubuntu server.

I doubt many others will ask for such a feature but keeping cheat features locked on a server is generally a good idea :)

How about giving the Novice the ability to gain Increased Experience when killing enemies in comparison to other classes? That way players are more likely to use the class for EXP Farming, even in the long-run!

Also, Midas Debuff for the Rogue! Give me them coins!

Edit: the far right should read "Resize, No Shadow"
I'm not sure if the changes work out well once the sprite is actually in-game. Thoughts?

For now, I'll just put up the new version without changing the sprites.

Might be the colors. Especially the green is a tad too saturated. How about just using the background colors you're using yourself at the moment?

Attachments

• Badge_Icon_MinionMaster_V2.png
    Badge_Icon_MinionMaster_V2.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Badge_Icon_Novice_V2.png
    Badge_Icon_Novice_V2.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Badge_Icon_Summoner_V2.png
    Badge_Icon_Summoner_V2.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 120
Still hate how my levels are no doubled almost feel forced to start a new world :/
Your total experience has not changed. The amount of experience that got you to level 21 and a half now takes you to 41. Bonuses were generally cut in half so you're just as you were. :)

Edit: Except now you won't hit wall in a few levels.

Any word on the class that limits summon maximum to 1 but is very powerful?

I made a minion master and I gotta say... there is one major flaw with having tons of pets. There seems to be some sort of limit to how many times enemies can be hit. So having 15 minions is just as effective against a boss as, say, having 5 minions (with a couple of exceptions).

It does offer an interesting gameplay style though, insofar as the minion master is great for killing lots of enemies (just kinda sucks for taking out single targets if there are too many constant hits happening)

There seems to be some sort of limit to how many times enemies can be hit. So having 15 minions is just as effective against a boss as, say, having 5 minions (with a couple of exceptions).

That's built into vanilla. Any single mob can only be hit by "piercing" attacks six times per second, and most melee minions count as piercing.

That's built into vanilla. Any single mob can only be hit by "piercing" attacks six times per second, and most melee minions count as piercing.

Right. I'm not saying it is a fault of this mod that the game works that way, I'm saying that minion master is less effective against single targets (such as a number of bosses) because of this.

Back
Top Bottom