tModLoader Experience and Classes

Are the new class advancement requirements reasonable?

• Yes! Major changes are NOT needed.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • The Monster/Boss Orb requirements are reasonable, but not the other requirements.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The other requirements are reasonable, but not the Monster/Boss Orb requirements.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No! Major changes are needed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Calamity and Pumpking mods add items that boost a mobs stats significantly. Wall of Flesh - Demon Trophy, Moon Lord - Onion something and Terra Lord drops something as well. I found that if you use these all together the end game Calamity worm bosses actually reduce your levels by about 60-100 at a time. If you use just one however you can fight 4 worms and hit level 350.

Calamity and Pumpking mods add items that boost a mobs stats significantly. Wall of Flesh - Demon Trophy, Moon Lord - Onion something and Terra Lord drops something as well. I found that if you use these all together the end game Calamity worm bosses actually reduce your levels by about 60-100 at a time. If you use just one however you can fight 4 worms and hit level 350.
For these kinds of exceptional cases, I recommend using the "/exprate" command to adjust experience gain.

This idea may not really work since you have a Hybrid class, but I remember back to Ragnarok Online that had a Super Novice class. The Super Novice from Ragnarok Online got all the 1st job skills from all the classes. Although it couldn't equip a bow or a 2-handed sword so those skills were useless. Just thought it would be an interesting idea.

It could require you to be level 65 (since you already have treasure find at that level), maybe the same amount of orbs as a tier 3, 999 dirt, 999 stone, and 999 sand.
So the Super Novice I guess would be almost like a Hybrid 3, but requires the Novice Token.
Or maybe to keep it from being like a Hybrid 3, you could not give it any damage bonuses and instead just give it utility stuff. Maybe immune to all debuffs (by this I mean the normal debuffs from that list) or something.

I guess the biggest problem with this is you can just play any class and get to level 65, go craft a Novice token and get it. Although you could do that with any class really.

Edit: I like playing classes that are out of the ordinary. xD

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but for the final tier of summoner, (minion master for me), I can't seem to make the token with 60 ascension orbs and the 5 boss orbs with the summoner token. Not sure if it's a bug or if I'm doing it wrong.

Are you able to provide links to previous versions of the mod? I'm currently running terraria version 1.3.4.4 because not all of my mods are updated, but the only download links I can see are for the terraria version 1.3.5 (1.2.1)

Are you able to provide links to previous versions of the mod? I'm currently running terraria version 1.3.4.4 because not all of my mods are updated, but the only download links I can see are for the terraria version 1.3.5 (1.2.1)
1.3.5 is actually a misnomer, the current experimental build of tModloader accomplishes 'compatibility' with 1.3.5 by patching it back to 1.3.4.4

@Saerus Is there any reason that mana bonuses are capped at 400 total, even with unlocked class caps? It creates some weird behavior when I have aggressively fluctuating mana bonuses because other accessories are pushing my mana to the 400 limit. one minute I could have 370 mana from my mana stars (200) + armor (140) + class (30), but slap on a few accessories and I get diminishing returns from my class token with (+10). Even worse, equipment that would otherwise push my mana beyond 400 causes my class token to penalize my mana and give negative bonuses to maintain a 400 mana equilibrium. The thing is, vanilla can hit 600 mana by endgame, and I've been able to push 800-1000 mana in prior versions of Terraria with mods. If there is an absolute need for a hard cap for mana bonuses, perhaps a flat 200 from scaling would be more appropriate? That way, the bonus mana retains 400 mana on its own, and then allows 800 max alongside vanilla, while leaving room for any modded methods to surpass that 800 barrier.

Also, as a side note, with how the current version of mana caps work, the mod can negate the drawback of Class Based RPG Mod's Sage's special ability, which consumes a manastar from your max mana to shoot out fallen stars dealing magic damage. (ie you have used 10 mana crystals, 9 after special; this does not subtract from non crystal sources. High enough level sages can toss out all their star crystals and still remain at 400 mana. The active ability just technically runs out of ammo while the class token fills the gaps created.)

Last edited:
1.3.5 is actually a misnomer, the current experimental build of tModloader accomplishes 'compatibility' with 1.3.5 by patching it back to 1.3.4.4

@Saerus Is there any reason that mana bonuses are capped at 400 total, even with unlocked class caps? It creates some weird behavior when I have aggressively fluctuating mana bonuses because other accessories are pushing my mana to the 400 limit. one minute I could have 370 mana from my mana stars (200) + armor (140) + class (30), but slap on a few accessories and I get diminishing returns from my class token with (+10). Even worse, equipment that would otherwise push my mana beyond 400 causes my class token to penalize my mana and give negative bonuses to maintain a 400 mana equilibrium. The thing is, vanilla can hit 600 mana by endgame, and I've been able to push 800-1000 mana in prior versions of Terraria with mods. If there is an absolute need for a hard cap for mana bonuses, perhaps a flat 200 from scaling would be more appropriate? That way, the bonus mana retains 400 mana on its own, and then allows 800 max alongside vanilla, while leaving room for any modded methods to surpass that 800 barrier.

Also, as a side note, with how the current version of mana caps work, the mod can negate the drawback of Class Based RPG Mod's Sage's special ability, which consumes a manastar from your max mana to shoot out fallen stars dealing magic damage. (ie you have used 10 mana crystals, 9 after special; this does not subtract from non crystal sources. High enough level sages can toss out all their star crystals and still remain at 400 mana. The active ability just technically runs out of ammo while the class token fills the gaps created.)
I thought that 400 was the hard cap for mana in Terraria? Like, even in vanilla?

I thought that 400 was the hard cap for mana in Terraria? Like, even in vanilla?
From what I understand, Vanilla has no hard cap on anything, just theoretical limits from available gear. Mods are thus easily able to push past vanilla maximums. I don't know at what point the values get large enough to cause serious problems but if the game's coding is sound the absolute cap should be an absurdly high number such that even mods can't reach it.

http://terraria.wiki.gg/Mana

This is contradicts what this page says, and
For Desktop, you can use Titanium/Hallowed Headgear, Diamond Robe, Jungle Pants, Crystal Ball Buff, Arcane Band of Starpower, Arcane Mana Regeneration Band, Arcane Magic Cuffs, three Arcane Accessories (one extra with Demon Heart), and the maximum base mana of 200 to reach 600 mana.

Edit: Appears that 400 is indeed the cap. Bizarre as it may be, but I do recall having gone beyond 400 mana before. Could have been something I had removed the limit, but in theory 600 is achievable...

Last edited:
Hey man, first of all, I'd like to congratulate you on the excellent mod.
IMHO, the best 'RPG-esque' mod around! :)

Though, I'd like to suggest something, for imersion sake.
Would it be possible to have a special slot for the classes? Something akin to the Grappling Hook, Minecart, Pet, etc. slots?
(AFAIK it can be done code-wise since we got the "Wing Slot Mod" and some others that add equipment space)
Do you think it would be a good idea?
(Since there is the concept of multiclass, there could be like, three slots or maybe more, idk)

Thanks in advance and congratulations!

Hey man, first of all, I'd like to congratulate you on the excellent mod.
IMHO, the best 'RPG-esque' mod around! :)

Though, I'd like to suggest something, for imersion sake.
Would it be possible to have a special slot for the classes? Something akin to the Grappling Hook, Minecart, Pet, etc. slots?
(AFAIK it can be done code-wise since we got the "Wing Slot Mod" and some others that add equipment space)
Do you think it would be a good idea?
(Since there is the concept of multiclass, there could be like, three slots or maybe more, idk)

Thanks in advance and congratulations!
I mean, I consider these important enough to warrant an accessory slot. You could always increase available slots with mods like Cheat Sheet or Antisocial.

Besides, having a special slot would limit how many classes could be multiclassed at once. (LIVE THE DREAM! HAVE FIVE CLASSES)

Besides, having a special slot would limit how many classes could be multiclassed at once. (LIVE THE DREAM! HAVE FIVE CLASSES)

Agreed. Haha, it's just that my brain makes me crazy that my "Class" is an item I equip! =P
Anyway great job man!!! :)

I am having trouble setting things like exp rate. The /auth command doesn't seem to do anything.

/expauth worked, a shame that the in game text tells you to type /auth. When I change the exp rate does it change it globally for everyone in the server? Because I noticed that when you change the damage reduction its only for your character even if you are the host. You would think, as an admin, you would want to be able to control everyone's dmg output as well as xp gain.

/expauth worked, a shame that the in game text tells you to type /auth. When I change the exp rate does it change it globally for everyone in the server? Because I noticed that when you change the damage reduction its only for your character even if you are the host. You would think, as an admin, you would want to be able to control everyone's dmg output as well as xp gain.
Great. Thanks for letting me know about the /auth typo. That's fixed for the next patch.

I agree that it would make sense to give admin a command to set everyone's damage reduction. It wasn't implemented that way due to the order in which various features were added, but I've made a note to add it in the future.

So, there seems to be a bit of an issue with Calamity's Storm Weaver. When it's killed, it gives enough EXP to raise the player's level up past 170 (from 0) in most cases. It's a worm boss with exceptionally high defense on most of it's body, only the head and tail can be properly damaged. Is there any way to work around this on your end? Maybe have that particular NPC give less EXP?

So, there seems to be a bit of an issue with Calamity's Storm Weaver. When it's killed, it gives enough EXP to raise the player's level up past 170 (from 0) in most cases. It's a worm boss with exceptionally high defense on most of it's body, only the head and tail can be properly damaged. Is there any way to work around this on your end? Maybe have that particular NPC give less EXP?
/exprate should be your go to, but it may be like an earlier issue similar to crawltipedes I believe with worms and high defense.

Back
Top Bottom