Expert Mode Boss Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaMage314 🌳

Living Tree
Here's a thread to talk about the harder, better, faster, stronger bosses fought in expert mode. Here you can share any tips or strategies you have for fighting these bosses, or any frustrating moments you've had dying to them.

I'll start by sharing my experience with the main three pre-hardmode bosses. The first one I fought, the Eye of Cthulhu, was doable once I was able to take out its minions. The Eater of Worlds was a bit tougher, but I somehow managed to pull through with an underground runway to fight it on. Skeletron however, has proven to be much tougher then the others. Every time I think I can take him or it looks like I'm about to win, he proves me wrong by repeatedly shredding me to pieces. The problem I keep running into with him is how he juggles and stun-locks me with his knockback while he's spinning. Whenever this happens, I always lose over half my health if I don't just end up dead, and I can't find any way to avoid it...

I found that if you have a full set of molten armor, the flaming greatsword, and a demon scythe, that the EoC is not so bad, even in his last hyper-warp phase. I didn't even use an arena!

I found that if you have a full set of molten armor, the flaming greatsword, and a demon scythe, that the EoC is not so bad, even in his last hyper-warp phase. I didn't even use an arena!
In order to get that though, you have to beat the Eater of worlds, which is even harder.

ATM the hardest fight is against the skeletron IMO. I beat him last night, but he owned me a few times before, now I gonna take a time before entering hardmode

ATM the hardest fight is against the skeletron IMO. I beat him last night, but he owned me a few times before, now I gonna take a time before entering hardmode
What did you use to beat him? I've been using the meteor armor/space gun combo and in my last attempt, a demon scythe.

I have almost beaten him ((Random despawn saved him from my wrath.))

I found that Spike balls are secretly amazing against every single boss on expert prehardmode. WoF excluded because WoF.

My expereience is like this.
EoC: Stage 1. Oh this is easy. Too bad I can't shuriken, but diamond staff will do.
EoC: stage 2: Oh... he spawned a ton of guys. getting swarmed. crap crap *dead*

Take 2.
Stage 1: Easy
Stage 2: Ready for you this time
Stage 2.8: WHY WON"T YOU STOP DASHING AND LET ME FREAKING HIT YOU YOU G*Dead*
Take 3 *repeat above for 3 more tries*
*kills it* FINALLY!

Took me 2 attempts to kill the brain of ctuhulu. His little minions now apply random debuffs when tehy hit you. Slightly annoying, not hard. And then in stage 2 he makes illusion's that dash at you too. Swordfish or Rotten Fork = easy win at this stage. Also spike balls. Because spike balls.

Skeletron.
Take 1: Diamond staff + rain cloud + mana potions + mana flower + jungle armor + healing potions + buff potions + elaborate 4 tier platform arena with regen buffs.
Stage 1: Oh ya, dodging hands ilke a boss. A little trickier than before but no Wait why is the skull spin so fas *Dead*

Take 2: Minishark with meteor shot and full buffs in crimson armor
Stage 1: Oh ya, gonna eat yo face. Oh ya, dodging hands. Oh ya dodging skull. But why ARE YOU STU PID HANDS SO HARD TO HIT. 2 minutes of shooting at the hands and they aint even 1/2 hp cus my aim SUCKS. Raraghaghahg *dead*

Skeletron Take 3: Fossil armor with Spike balls, javelins, full buffs
Stage 1: tossing balls tossing balls dodge the head oops hit a hand, oh well regening so fast I dont' care. holy crap, not even a minute and bo th hands are 1/2 way down?
Stage 2: Kill both hands easy. Now to wait is he shooting mini skulls at me ? AAAAH Dodge dodge dodge. Okay you wanna be a :red:. Fly at me boi. Fly at me. *mounts slime* ahahahahhaha! LETS SEE YOU RUN ME OVER NOW WHEN I"M GOING MARIO ON YOU! Bhewhahahahahah! *throws spears while mario hopping* oh crap its back to flying skulls *dodge dodge* WEE BOUNCING ON YO HEAD

I found that the counter to his damn head spin is either Dodging, or jump on him with a slime mount from slime king ((Who's a total push over.))

For trinkets, I find myself using Cthlulu shield ((For the dash)), heart panic pendant ((From crimson, again for speed.)) the super speed spectre boots ((the final form. for more speed.)) Warding tsunami in a bottle, and warding lucky horseshoe. Warding and speed accessories help a lot in this fight.

For buffs I grab Regeneration potion, ironskin, thorns, magic power ((with magic build)), slowfall

What did you use to beat him? I've been using the meteor armor/space gun combo and in my last attempt, a demon scythe.

the key items:
- Slimy saddle (slime mount) without it I doubt I could make it: useful to avoid most skeletron attacks because of the high and fast jumps.
- Sandstorm in a bottle: to get double jump, any double jump item will help.
- Horse shoe: to negate fall damage from double jumps (lol)
- Hive pack: because my main weapon to defeat him was Bee's knees. (if you don't have Bee's knees, you can use another accesory)
- Bee's knees: some people used molten fury (it's not hard to get molten gear, so maybe you can try to get down to the underworld also you can get hellfire arrows).

buffs: regen, archery, ironskin, well feed, swiftness

armor: molten armor, if you can't get molten armor try to stack defense bonuses from accesories

the arena was simple I put two lines of platforms with regen items (camp fire, and heart lanterns)

the slime mount is not the fast moving mount but it's fast enough to run, but they jump high and fast, so I used it to avoid skeletron's attacks by jumping or falling while shooting arrows to the hands. the second stage of skeletrons is the hard part, I COULDN'T avoid all the skeletron's second attacks (small skulls) so that's when molten armor helped me. the thing is when skeletron does his spinning attack I shoot arrows while he was following me.

so first stage: focus on hands
second stage: try to move around and shoot to the head with a high damage bow

what I'm not liking about expert mode is that it's near impossible to defeat the bosses with melee weapons, and I really wanted to try those yo-yos but even with their range it's better to stick with a bow or something

Alright, I guess it's time for me to get a slime mount, because that seems to be the only way to avoid being juggled to death.

To be fair, I didnt' use the slime mount the entire first stage ((Killin ghands.)) And I probably didnt' need ot use it on the second half. But, if you dont' have spectre boots, then slime mount is a must. I did it becuase bouncing on his head was hilarious.

To be fair, I didnt' use the slime mount the entire first stage ((Killin ghands.)) And I probably didnt' need ot use it on the second half. But, if you dont' have spectre boots, then slime mount is a must. I did it becuase bouncing on his head was hilarious.
I have spectre boots, but I can never survive his second phase because if I slip up just a little and get hit by his skull spinning attack, I get stun-locked and end up taking a ton of damage or dying. It's almost like the devs intentionally boosted his speed to match up perfectly with his knockback...

I have spectre boots, but I can never survive his second phase because if I slip up just a little and get hit by his skull spinning attack, I get stun-locked and end up taking a ton of damage or dying. It's almost like the devs intentionally boosted his speed to match up perfectly with his knockback...
You know, the shield of chtulu helps A LOT with avoiding that. If you u se a swiftness potion and play int he jungle for the anklet of wind and get a regular anklet, you can easily be at near max speed instnatly even without dashing, and be able to out run him. dodign the flying skulls he shoots is usually the hardest part for me.

**Edit**

And I just killed him. Ended the fight with 360 hp. A few other things i noticed. His skulls can't penetrate solid objects. Keep him above you, adn th ey will break on the ground below you as you run around. Dont' fight him only in the sky, as thsoe skulls will keep turning and make a second swing at you and it will be harder to dodge.

Last edited:
Skeletron is quite easy if you approach the situation right. First, build an arena out of wood platforms. It helps if you can fly with the boots already.
The hardest part of the battle is the beginning.
For tools I used fossil armor, the bee's knees, and beenades. Not everybody is insanely accurate (I'm not) but the bee's home on to him, so you can focus on dodging. I prefer warding or menacing as prefixes on the equipment.

You HAVE to break his hands and relatively the same time, if not, you will have to dodge his head, hand, and homing bombs, which is really difficult without actual flying. If you break them together you dont have to dodge (as much). After breaking his hands, you simply have to shoot and fly over his head when he spins. Always keep moving; You never want to be standing still.

Hopefully these strict tips help anyone out! :dryadwink:

Well, i underestimated Eoc the first fights but otherwise i had little problems. (took it on without having any proper trinkets like Hermes boots, couldnt doge his dashes where he sits directly above you)
It died really fast actually despite me using only a platinum bow w frost arrows... his hyper dashes were no isssue at all, was kind of funny how he zigzagged behind me without hitting me even once with it, its a really predictable attack pattern and just moving diagonally over the platform arena seems to be enough to dodge.

I used swiftness, ironskin, hunter, well fed and archery buffs. Platinum bow w Frost arrows, cactus armor. The arena was built to grant me the happy! (+movementspeed -spawnrate), campfire, heart lantern and star in a bottle (+mana regen, doesnt matter) buffs.

EoW shortly after was a utter failure though, first few attempts i got killed right away by my computer (Lagspikes, ho!), last attempt ended me getting trapped in his body, he seems to curl more now which i find really great. Same gear as above but using waterbolt and no arena.

Boc is impossible as far i am concernered if you're using magic, the debuffs :red: you over. Slowed, silenced, DEAD. Gotta try this sometime later with jester arrows but for now i had enough of this jerk.

King slime is a push over as he always was, got stuck in the terrain and if he'd do that teleport thing he does id just lead him back to that spot... the adds are quickly killed by waterbolt as i fire it trough king slime.

Last edited:
Also something i noticed; move the dyrad into your arena instead of the nurse or in addition. If enemies are near she'll cast a spell with huge range that damages enemies and heals you/npcs rapidly. Its a massive boon.

Wall of flesh is quite easy. Skeleton is basically Plantera compared to the WoF in expert mode.

Wall of flesh is quite easy. Skeleton is basically Plantera compared to the WoF in expert mode.

that's encouraging, anyway I want to build more houses before entering hardmode, because I always got random events by surprise when I was expanding my village also I'm setting a small arena for hardmode bosses, now I have to prepare underworld for Wall, but I think I have the weapons to defeat him.

that's encouraging, anyway I want to build more houses before entering hardmode, because I always got random events by surprise when I was expanding my village also I'm setting a small arena for hardmode bosses, now I have to prepare underworld for Wall, but I think I have the weapons to defeat him.
Good luck! If you don't mind a small WoF spoiler... his only expert mode boost is a couple more hungry, leeches, faster and larger streams of lasers, and faster speeds with lower health.

Good luck! If you don't mind a small WoF spoiler... his only expert mode boost is a couple more hungry, leeches, faster and larger streams of lasers, and faster speeds with lower health.

I think as pioneers in expert mode we have to leave pride aside and share all we can to defeat these guys, so every tip is appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom