Items Fishing Expansion; Biome-specific bait/crates, Pandora's Box

Paige

Pixel Pirate
Bait that you can only acquire and use in certain biomes that can be used to catch special fish and crates. For example: Parasites/Mosquitoes for Crimson, Scorpions (already exist in-game) and Tarantulas for the Desert, Sand Fleas for the Ocean, etc. The biome specific crates could have a chance of dropping key molds and such.

My good friend Isaac the Jester suggested something that got me thinking. He asked if there could be bee hive crates/underground crates. This made me realize that there could be a lot more work done here, especially that hive part.

There could be a fishing pole you could make out of bee hive material, which could allow you to fish in honey. When in a hive, this could allow you to catch hive crates and special fish, whereas when outside a hive and fishing in honey it's just as if you were fishing in any old pond.

Speaking of which, I don't know how the whole "trash filled lakes" thing works, but to me it seems like some bodies of water render only trash, like Old Shoes and Tin Cans, and some are full of Bass and other types of fish (mainly Bass though). I thought that Re-Logic had been clever and programmed it so that lakes near houses and large player-built structures were filled with them, suggesting the player had been polluting the water. But, when I fished in a lake very far away from my home in the Crimson, a fairly large one, I was getting nothing but garbage. So, I have no idea how it works, but my suggestion is the pollution thing.

Got a bit sidetracked there, but a good question I never really answered is "Gee, Sinn, what is inside these glamorous crates you speak of?". I mean I said something about Key Molds, but that would have to be in a hard-mode only version of the crate. So, in pre-hard-mode, the Jungle Crate could contain things like Moonglow, Hooks, Mahogany Wood, and other things found on the surface of the Jungle. The Underground Jungle crate could contain pre-hardmode gems and ingots, and sometimes special items that would normally only be found in Ivy Chests, like the Anklet of the Wind. This way if you don't get that Pet Turtle you always wanted, you can just fish for it! It could also contain Jungle Spores and/or Stingers and Vines. The issue with them containing monster drops though is that you could just fish your way through the game without fighting anything. Now to some, this might not be an issue, it could be a special way of playing the game as a pacifist! But, honestly, most people would just end up taking the easy route, sitting nearly AFK, just clicking the mouse for a couple hours until you have everything you need to get to kill the Wall of Flesh. But, it would also be nice if I could come up with something entirely new to put in these wonderful crates, that way people have more motivation for fishing in this manner, and get that charming feeling you get when discovering new things in Terraria. So, I have decided to take something Isaac said in or clan, Order of Bacon (Public if you wanna join :)). He said something like this in our "Bizarre suggestions" thread; "Pandora's box, when you open it it can contain a lot of loot or a really hard boss". Well, I remembered from Doctor Who that Pandora's Box was something in greek mythology, said to contain all the evils in the world. That's awesome, so I wiki'd it. Anyways let's cut to the chase. Each biome crate has a chance to contain one key, specific to that biome. Once every key is acquired, you can combine them all to create "Pandora's Key" at a Crimson or Demon Altar.

We'll start with the Floating Island key/crate, because these were the first ones I could think of a name for. Well, the crate will just be called "Skyware Crate", but the key will be called "Zues' Key".

I will continue working on the keys and crates, but I need to head to bed soon.

After we're all done getting Pandora's Key, we have to get Pandora's Box. In order to do this, we have to combine one of each biome's bait together to create Pandora's Bait. Pandora probably wasn't much of a fisher, but for now that's the best name I can think of. Anyway, once you have done this, you must fish in an Ocean with Pandora's Bait. You will have a chance of catching Pandora's Box.

Once you have acquired Pandora's Box, you must take it down to the underworld and place it somewhere down there. You may want to get a nice arena area with campfires and such, because when you open Pandora's Box, with Pandora's Key, a random amount of random enemies will spawn. If your world is pre-hardmode, it won't spawn any hardmode enemies. This means it could spawn anything from one measly zombie, to 100 pinkies, or more! I suppose there should be a cap to how many can spawn, because eventually it would get ridiculous, but that's something the developers will have to decide. Also, naturally, it isn't limited to just one type of enemy. The box is said to contain all the evil in the world, so it may contain anything! Maybe even...a goldfish...Anyway, that's what Pandora's Box will contain. No loot like Isaac suggested because that's boring and wouldn't make sense with greek mythology in mind. Also, if you didn't assume this already, if you use Pandora's Box in hardmode it will spawn hardmode enemies as well.

Below are some sprites I made for this. I'm not a very good spriter, but these are good enough for now. I might do more sprites later.
Jungle Crate: junglecrate1.jpg Zues' key:Zues'KeyPtt1.png Skyware Crate: SkywareCratePtt.png

Remember, this is a work in progress, so check in every once in a while!

EDIT: I gave up on this a while ago. I really don't think I'll be coming back to this, but I suppose if enough people want me to work on it more I can make an attempt.

Last edited:
I don't want it to be a 100% chance, sorry if I worded it oddly. Just a very small chance, but a better chance than just killing a mob.

It's actually a really nice idea.

The fact that you made them drop Key-molds would make them rather very much easier to get, as you can get crates a lot faster than killing a lot of mobs.

And farming enough crates and using quickly in succession gives faster acquisition.

The thing is, if you're sensible, you save all your crates until hardmode. That means a good chance of getting the key mold right at the start of hardmode.

It's actually a really nice idea.

The fact that you made them drop Key-molds would make them rather very much easier to get, as you can get crates a lot faster than killing a lot of mobs.

And farming enough crates and using quickly in succession gives faster acquisition.
I suppose if you use crate and sonar potions, but at the same time setting up a farm with water candles and battle potions could be a lot easier. I guess it shouldn't be a greater chance, but I mean, I want the biome crates to be pretty rare when compared to wooden and iron crates, and I don't want either to replace the other.

I'm not really passionate about fishing, but this idea itself sounds good.

The thing is, if you're sensible, you save all your crates until hardmode. That means a good chance of getting the key mold right at the start of hardmode.
For me, it is some sort of bug-using. Crates not allowed to change their content just because world enters Hardmode. And I don't think Key Mold at the start of hardmode is really bad - you can't do anything with mold before defeating all 3 mechs and Plantera, anyway.

I'm not really passionate about fishing, but this idea itself sounds good.

For me, it is some sort of bug-using. Crates not allowed to change their content just because world enters Hardmode. And I don't think Key Mold at the start of hardmode is really bad - you can't do anything with mold before defeating all 3 mechs and Plantera, anyway.
Yeah, good point, I forgot about that. I actually got a crimson mold (my favorite mold) right at the start of hardmode on my last playthrough and was really disappointed when I remembered that you have to kill all the mechs and Plantera. I mean, unless you create a script, you can't create an AFK farm for fishing, whereas you CAN create an AFK farm for killing enemies for key molds. And I don't want these crates to be that common either, I was thinking a little rarer than Iron but not as rare as Golden.

Actually, as soon as your "bloodcrate" doesn't straightly contain a key that unlocks a post plantera weapon, I'm okay.

Wow, this really is a neat idea. The concept is just amazing and I'd really like this to appear in-game for more variety and biome specificity.

As we are, why aren't gold crates platinum ones in platinum world?
And how about hardmde ore crates dropping hardmode content (Sparing your crates makes early hardmode a metric ton easier, and that's not good)

As we are, why aren't gold crates platinum ones in platinum world?
And how about hardmde ore crates dropping hardmode content (Sparing your crates makes early hardmode a metric ton easier, and that's not good)
Why do we need an alt for something as rare as golden crates and has the soul purpose of being opened?

The simple fact thay in a world with tons of platinum, you wouldn't use gold to make your crate before dumping it in water (Logic, I HAZ IT!)

Re-Logic*
An alt crate is pointless. What's next, Lead Crates?
I guess I'm rather neutral on the subject. If there are gold crates, why not have platinum crates? It only makes sense. But then again, I don't like the idea of having an equal and opposite replacement ore for every ore out there in the first place, it's just cause for confusion.

I guess I'm rather neutral on the subject. If there are gold crates, why not have platinum crates? It only makes sense. But then again, I don't like the idea of having an equal and opposite replacement ore for every ore out there in the first place, it's just cause for confusion.
If they added platinum crates, it would most likely be a tier up from gold. Alt crates don’t make much sense as they are not exactly ore based.

If they added platinum crates, it would most likely be a tier up from gold. Alt crates don’t make much sense as they are not exactly ore based.
I suppose so. There would be a copper crate instead of a wooden most likely.

This idea is very cool, would there also me crates for the hive and under ground? And biome-specific under ground that would drop similar-to-same it's as the biome? This is a neat idea and I would like to see it expanded apon

Back
Top Bottom