Fort Ilo: The evolution of a flying fortress.

Strik3r

Official Terrarian
Greetings fellow terrarians!

Let me tell you a story...

Mere hours before the 1.3 update arrived, in a place that shall not be named, where the night's entertainment was to be witnessing the fall of a would be hero, where the laugh tracks were a chorus of a thousand quarks laughing at once, where the cries of 'HERO AN HERO!' echoed across the rotting halls, many made plans for what they will build come 1.3, one gentleman announced he shall build a castle in the sky. I am not that man, yet his bold statement inspired me to embark on a quest to build a floating fortress the likes of which have yet to be seen!

When the update arrived, with a quaking heart, i created a expert world and braced for the worst. As i struggled to survive in the world i had christened "FaceMurdered", a place plagued by the crimson, many nights were spent inside a temporary house i had built at the world spawn, it was there that i discovered the magic of the capture tool.

Capture 0.png

Ever since this first one, i had the great desire to take pictures of the base as it evolved, so the entire construction of the temporary house was captured too, up to and including its final iteration.

During my struggle against Skeletron that lasted many days, even a great railway was built in the underworld while i waited for the night to fall again, so i could challenge the dungeon's guardian once more. Once finished, a snapshot was taken of it and sadly was too big for the the capture tool to handle gracefully, alas it can not be shown here.

Only once Skeletron fell, via the rail contraption i call the "cheese wheel", construction of the fortress could begin proper, but before even the first brick of stone floated on the hot steam rising from hell itself, through the hole i had dug to reach the underworld and the dungeon station of the railway, i knew i was going to be making more than just a fortress, i was going to make a story. And this fluff you're reading? is not that story.

Three weeks have passed since FaceMurdered came to existence, numerous delays have happened and yet this project is no where near done, i am just now preparing to defeat the wall of flesh and enter hardmode! But all along i planned that i would build up the fortress until all pre-hardmode NPC's had a home then begin to release the images of my endeavors, and the time has come!

I shall release the first three images of its construction in this post, the fortress' baby pictures if you will.

I encourage you, reader to not just skim over the images but to look at the details in each image and see how the fortress evolved over time, not just the big picture, but also the little details i added or changed over time. After all, it is the little things that matter in life, right?

Capture 1.png

Capture 2.png

Capture 3.png

The saga of PTMFAF(Prototype Techo-Magical Floating Aerial Fortress) or "Fort Ilo" will continue for as long as there is interest or until i have nothing left to build.

Until next time, TTFN. ^.^

(hopefully the images appear alright or i'll have embarrassed myself in a grave way)
(also, hopefully you weren't bored by all of that text)

Like clockwork, 24 hours after the first post comes the second.

But let me not bore with another novel.

Here are two more images:

Capture 4.png
This dirt was made by swinging my mouse around wildly, i call it "a semi-random pattern"

Capture 5.png
I don't know what's the dryads' problem with this cave but every one who took it up as their home has committed suicide by drowning themselves in the pool above. -_-

That's all for today.

But before I bid farewell, i shall post a choice quote i found on the intertubes:

"Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all."
-Meg Cabot
from the movie The Princess Diaries (2001)

Small update today.

Also its 3 am where i am so i'll chuck this out the door and head off to sleep :)

Capture 6.png

The greenhouse is kind of small but I've never been big on farming in this game, so this okay for my purposes.

Capture 7.png
The angler's room's a kind of a tiny stone igloo thingamabob mainly because i couldn't come up with a better build at the time.

This update's kind of a bump in the road, its not that good but its still important for showcasing how the fortress evolved over time.

History repeats itself and multiple delays happened that prevented me from releasing this one on time...

I'm also changing up the updates' format a bit.

But enough of that, here's some pictures:

This one is pretty important.
Capture 8.png

It is where i built the merchant's shop and the workshop for crafting, below it, in addition the storage room which I've also posted in some other thread too.
Here i also overhauled a lot of the lower part of the fortress, especially the cave and the dirt under the fortress... by adding stone spikes.
Small improvements like this will start becoming fairly common from here on out and is the reason why examining the images in detail is a good idea.

next one:
Capture 9.png

A bridge! I wonder where this will lead? now, who am i kidding? I've already built it long ago and its in the next update ;)
I'm sorry if this image looks like crap, i had to reduce it down to 256 colours, it vvouldn't even upload otherwise anymore :dryadcry:
I might have to start cropping the images because the fortress isn't gonna be getting any smaller from here.

Anyways, that is it for this update!

Last edited:
Hey again, everyone.

I waited on releasing this update for way too long!
Admittedly, the contents of today's update took about the same amount of time to actually build so... Realistic timescale ho!

I actually cropped this image because this thing's the star of today's show;
Capture 10 Cropped.png

Making this took an enormous amount of mud, effort, patience and trees... lots and lots of trees. How i made the island itself is kind of hard to explain but i will try my best anyway...

here's a text file i wrote and intended to hide within this image, but it just didn't feel right, besides no one would've ever found it, even if it was bright orange text on a black background, so i'll just paste it right here:

"Fort Ilo design document: Building the jungle island. (decrapified edition for thread)

This jungle island is still unmatched in effort it took to make it compared to any other part of the fortress

process to create the island was as follows:

1. I built a line of mud from the bridge to a randomly chosen distance away from it. Then i built another line of dirt going down from roughly the centre of the line, it was going to be the lowest point of the island.

2. I defined the island's underside by building out with mud between all three ends in a "semi-chaotic"(Note: swinging my mouse wildly) curve. This left me with a hollow shell of the island.

3. I filled the entire inside of the island with mud, so i could dig it out later to produce terrain features. This took the bulk of the mud.

4. I shaped the terrain, including the lake in the middle, the small cave right next to it, the small underpass near the bridge and the smaller floating island above the lake. During the shaping i settled on the idea of building the giant tree on the far left side.

5. When i finished shaping the island, i planted a few jungle grass seeds around the island and left the grass to grow while i got the materials to build the rest of the island and everything on it. Resource gathering involved chopping down every tree in the above ground jungle, twice. I also finally raided the dungeon to p:red: the time.

6. I built the walkways and the little hut for the Witch Doctor. In every world I've had so far, the witch doctor has always had that same little hut. So it would've felt strange to give him anything else, besides i had no other ideas.

7. Finally i began work on the huge mahogany tree at the far side of the island, which was going to be the Dryad's new home, due to their evident dislike of living in little caves because i stopped keeping track of the amount of dryads that drowned in the pool. Building the tree was an enormous undertaking, probably taking as much time as the rest of the island combined. It is the only part of the fortress to go through more than one iteration before arriving at its current look. The first few were absolute garbage, the one before the current one was okay, but the leaves on the top resembled a shape i didn't want them to. Not the one you're probably thinking of right now, it was just a bit too obvious as to what it looked like if you knew where it was from. hint: four branches with leaves on them, two small vertical ones out the top, two large horizontal ones out the sides.

After i finished the tree, i touched the whole island up a bit, adding rocks here and there."

And that's that, I'm terribly sorry for pasting that big wall of text but it's the best way to describe how it was made without skipping over important details, though i admit, the part about the big tree could of been a tad bit shorter.

I'm also sorry if there are any serious mistakes or horrible wording, its 4 am and i almost fell asleep on the chair already.

Oh before i forget:
Capture 10.png

Full image of the entire fortress, in glorious 256 colours!

Also about the island: i intend to make another one, for the mushroom dude and i'll make a slideshow/time-lapse of the build, but that won't be till we reach hardmode.

That should be everything.

Until next time. TTFN ^.^

(I'll probably edit this post once i get this sleep, so if this notice is gone, you'll know i've done this)

Sailors won't find a thing hidden under waves, divers can.
Wrong! It will only take one to blow the gasket wide open.

This is looking awesome btw.

Normally, I am late with the updates, but today i had way too much time and didn't want to release early, so i got to do something other than "text editors and vector graphics" today, specifically, i ran through favorite a game in 3 hOurs to pass the time and recorded myself doing so.

I haven't played terraria in two weeks since i want to get the backlog of updates out the door, not make the Backlog bigger.

Anyway, I do not want to bore you with the details of my gaming habits, you're here for Fort Ilo's daily update, so here you go:

This is the library, there's no books in it yet because i apparently hadn't raided the dungeon for them, yet.
Capture 11 Cropped.png

It serves as housing for the guide, too.
it'll look better in the next update when it has books in it.
That is pretty much it...

Full image of the fortress:
Capture 11.png
In 256 colours, as usual.

Sorry for the bit of a lackluster update today.
In addition don't expect anything the size of that island again, now its just gonna be the fortress being built, bit by bit every update.

Some of the upcoming updates will be better than this, some worse.

Until next time. TTFN ^.^

Dang dude, this is coming along really good :)

This is looking awesome btw.

very nice :D!

Thank you, everyone!
I probably should have said a hell of a lot earlier, but better late than never, right?

Anyway lets get right to to the update shall we?

Two images today to make up for the delays, again.

First up:
Capture 12 Cropped 1.png

Medical ward.
Don't worry if this looks like crap, i think it does and is likely among the first things to be blown up if feel the need to.

Next:
Capture 13 Cropped 1.png

Tinkers' workshop thing.
Housing for both the mechanic and the goblin.

Finally, i mentioned that the library looks a lot better with books in it, so here it is:
Capture 13 Cropped 2.png

it's got a lot of books in it and will get a real bookshelf too, later.
I've made sure that it stocks at least sixteen copies of The Catalogue.

Ah.. speaking of The Catalogue... i mentioned in my previous update that i do vector graphics so i should probably back that up right?
Here is something i made for The Catalogue.
I'm terribly sorry for super super super super super off-topic:
I said I'm sorry, okay? Besides, no one is forcing you to see it :)
I'm also terribly sorry for posting crap art:
Yeah, i know.
what are you expecting?!
Well too bad, there's none here.
A butterfly?!
Moth_Flat.png

As usual here is a full image of the fortress:
Capture 13.png

Y'all know how many colours this has. i won't iterate over that, again.

That's it for this update.

I don't know why you keep calling yourself bad at building because this is like yrimir level :D

heh, would you rather have me build a dirt hut and then call myself the best builder in world for it? :p

These look 'strikingly' good (hehe see what I did there)! I can't believe I get to make a banner for this thread. How exciting! :D

Thanks in advance and good luck, dude!

Now, onto today's update:

This is the armory.
Capture 14 Cropped 1.png

The three chests in the centre room are for storing mage, melee and ranged armors, while the chest on top is for storing weapons that don't fit on the racks.
The room also houses the arms dealer, i thought it'd be a fitting home for him.
Do note the first rack, which has the Arkhalis on it, which i found actually really early in the game, and kept it until i got the Muramasa.

Full image of the fortress:
Capture 14.png

In no more or less colours than before.

(i've never been good at social communication, even worse when im tired and im sorry if i happen to come off as really awkward.)

This is one of the coolest bases I've ever seen, even if it's a work in progress.

By the way, is it pronounced E-yo, or Ill-o? I feel like it's the first one, but I'm not sure.

Good job! You're an awesome builder.

Great peice of work I'm going to keep an eye on this

Thank you for the kind words. :)

This is one of the coolest bases I've ever seen, even if it's a work in progress.

By the way, is it pronounced E-yo, or Ill-o? I feel like it's the first one, but I'm not sure.

Honestly, I'm not sure either:confused:, but it's shortened from Latin adverb 'illo', so something close to how that's pronounced.

Time for the update:

Art gallery.
Capture 15 Cropped.png

A place for storing banners, paintings and statues.
Also houses the PAINter.

Full image:
Capture 15.png
Despite the 256 colour palette, the file size is still climbing, this one was 1.3MB.

Now before i finish this update:

We're approaching the tail end of chapter 1 of Fort Ilo's tale. There are 4 images in my backlog and 1 room is still waiting to be built.

Fort Ilo isn't going anywhere, but I'm actually worried about two things:

1. The fortress is already built to a height where harpies can spawn if i stand on top of the fortress. That means wyverns in hardmode and i have no idea how I'm gonna handle that.

2. I have no idea what the hardmode ores of my world are, I'm really hoping for the original three: Cobalt, Mythril and Adamant, but most likely its gonna be the exact opposite.

Anyways that's it for today.

I would recomend increasing the size of the banner room and have space to create a mobbing arena to kill more efficiently

Back
Top Bottom