Fort Ilo: The evolution of a flying fortress.

Update time again:

Nightclub 'Purple Leopard'
Capture 16 cropped 1.png

A few things are missing, like a rainbow disco floor and a disco ball...

And the party girl's room just looks atrocious!

What can't be seen easily on this pic is the top dark part, there's space reserved there for music boxes...

The place got its name when i placed down the leopard skin you see there while having the builder's gizmo pack equipped.
There was still a bunch of purple paint left in my inventory from building the place and it ended up painting the skin purple.
I just rolled with it and named the place after it.

I really wish that the gizmo pack didn't have the paint sprayer in it because i have to make sure i don't have any stray paint in my inventory while building... othewise i might end up painting an otherwise dark and scary dungeon bright pink or something...

I'll probably revisit the nightclub at some point.

Full image of the fortress:
Capture 16.png

That's all for today, until next time!
TTFN ^.^

Two images today because both of them are really small:

Dye trader's little box room.
Capture 17 cropped 1.png

I had no freaking idea what to build so they got this...

Generic box room... nah, Hairdresser's box room:
Capture 18 cropped 1.png

I'm really ashamed at how this turned out, considering she's probably among my favourite NPC's if how often i go to her to change my hairstyle is any indication.
If anything's getting reworked in the fortress, it is this... and i've got plenty of things on the list.

Full image:
Capture 18.png

This is has 256 colours and it's file size is 1.52MB, a full image of the fortress in CMYK is 200MB... Shows what wonders shaving off a few billion colours can do for file size, not to mention the quality. :p

That's all for today.
Until next time. TTFN ^.^

Here's capture #19:

Rooms for clothier and demolitionist!
Capture 19 cropped 1.png

The little bombshack is for the demolitionist.
Clothier got the one with bunch of mannequins, i also use the room for storing my vanity stuff.

Capture 19.png

1.63MB, I'm afraid that soon i'll have to reduce the image to 128 colours.

That's all for today.

Only one more until the big 20! Which coincidentally happens to be the last capture before we enter hardmode!

Until next time. TTFN ^.^

Before we get on with today's update, i just wanted to show you something:

@DarkAwesome made an awesome banner for this thread!

BBcode for anyone who wants to put this in their signature:
Code:
[URL='http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/fort-ilo-the-evolution-of-a-flying-fortress.27943/'][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/aRmMTA7.png[/IMG][/URL]

Thank you again, DarkAwesome for this amazing banner!

But now... it is time...

For...

Capture...

*Drumroll*
Nineteen and a half :)
Capture 2015-08-06 17_08_38.png

This is a weird sort of fishing hut i built at the ocean.
It was inspired by Etho's and Zisteau's build they built in their 1.3 Terraria series and serves pretty much the same function, I.E. storing boxes.
I wanted to fish up some boxes before i entered hardmode and wanted to do a build so i did this.
This was mostly made to experiment with frankensteining different types of wood together and try to keep it looking coherent.
Here is my stack of boxes after a bit of fishing:
Capture 2015-08-06 19_15_55.png

74 boxes.

I also wanted to experiment a bit with the format of the updates so here's a bit of a timelapse/animation of its construction:
JcYdi0y.gif

That's all for today.
Until next time, TTFN. ^.^

Before we get on with today's update, i just wanted to show you something:

@DarkAwesome made an awesome banner for this thread!

BBcode for anyone who wants to put this in their signature:
Code:
[URL='http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/fort-ilo-the-evolution-of-a-flying-fortress.27943/'][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/aRmMTA7.png[/IMG][/URL]

Thank you again, DarkAwesome for this amazing banner!

But now... it is time...

For...

Capture...

*Drumroll*
Nineteen and a half :)
View attachment 69521
This is a weird sort of fishing hut i built at the ocean.
It was inspired by Etho's and Zisteau's build they built in their 1.3 Terraria series and serves pretty much the same function, I.E. storing boxes.
I wanted to fish up some boxes before i entered hardmode and wanted to do a build so i did this.
This was mostly made to experiment with frankensteining different types of wood together and try to keep it looking coherent.
Here is my stack of boxes after a bit of fishing:
View attachment 69520
74 boxes.

I also wanted to experiment a bit with the format of the updates so here's a bit of a timelapse/animation of its construction:
JcYdi0y.gif

That's all for today.
Thanks for the shout out! Also, I really need to start watching that series. I loved their 1.2 let's play but never got around to watching their 1.3 one.

It is time for capture 20 but I'm not even gonna lie, this is the crappiest update of Fort Ilo, yet.

So lets just get this over with.

The last thing i built before hardmode was:
Temporary housing for future NPC's:(
Capture 2015-08-04 20_23_09.png

Anti-climactic, i know but it is needed since i blew up the previous one to make room for an upcoming project.

Here is a GIF-for-ants of that by the way which got ruined by my minimap being in the way:
UduLnp9.gif

Capture 20.png

This is the packed version in 256 colours but if mods don't have any objections, HERE is a link to a full, stitched version on my Google Drive... and HERE is a link to a version which i edited to make it suitable for using as a wallpaper on a 16:9 monitor if anybody wants.

This update marks the end of chapter 1 of Fort Ilo's story, so it's time to turn the page and with the said turning will come a few changes:

First: We're now caught up to the backlog which means the updates to Fort Ilo will be released as i build them, this means that there may be a gap in the updates occasionally. :)

Second: More timelapse animation thigies. This is related to the point above, as it actually takes a bit of time to make them...

Third: Future updates may have a bit of a SSLP-ish side to them. We'll see if and how it goes.

That is it for today.

It is time for capture 20 but I'm not even gonna lie, this is the crappiest update of Fort Ilo, yet.

So lets just get this over with.

The last thing i built before hardmode was:
Temporary housing for future NPC's:(
View attachment 69933
Anti-climactic, i know but it is needed since i blew up the previous one to make room for an upcoming project.

Here is a GIF-for-ants of that by the way which got ruined by my minimap being in the way:
UduLnp9.gif

View attachment 69934
This is the packed version in 256 colours but if mods don't have any objections, HERE is a link to a full, stitched version on my Google Drive... and HERE is a link to a version which i edited to make it suitable for using as a wallpaper on a 16:9 monitor if anybody wants.

This update marks the end of chapter 1 of Fort Ilo's story, so it's time to turn the page and with the said turning will come a few changes:

First: We're now caught up to the backlog which means the updates to Fort Ilo will be released as i build them, this means that there may be a gap in the updates occasionally. :)

Second: More timelapse animation thigies. This is related to the point above, as it actually takes a bit of time to make them...

Third: Future updates may have a bit of a SSLP-ish side to them. We'll see if and how it goes.

That is it for today.
I love everything about this...

Hey everyone, its time for another update but before we get started i'd like you all to meet someone...

You probably have seen him already but i've never formally introduced him.

This
Virgas BIG.png

is Virgas. Or Alex, depending on which one you like more, He's kind of the main character of the whole Fort Ilo deal.
There's a lot more to him than meets the eye... Excluding his ridiculously long hair.

Here is a summary of everything that has happened since Capture 20:

Since FaceMurdered entered hardmode, this guy's gone through a lot. He's gotten his face torn off, repeatedly i might add, by everything on and off the map...

Wyverns, in his attempts to liberate their valuable souls from them.
Spiders, because his hellevator happened to cut through several spider nests.
The mechanical bosses, because they seem to spawn every damn night...
And one Rune Wizard, because... IDK.

Nevertheless, all the fishing he did before fighting the wall of flesh paid off as he was able to entirely skip both Palladium and Orichalcum, jumping straight to Adamant.

So, Wyverns were slain, pink anvils were built and Virgas soon flew through the air with his newfound pair of Harpy Wings.
Then he mauled the spiders and got himself a cute, yet incredibly murderous spider pal.

While no hardmode bosses have been slain yet, i suspect it wont stay that way for long.

And after the initial storm of early hardmode bullcrap slowed down, he decided that something needs to be built and revamping
Capture 2015-08-09 16_24_46.png

the entrance has been on the list for a long time, now.

Of course, first the old one needed to be removed to make room for the new one, but rather than approach the issue in a sensible manner and do it with a drill, he defaulted to his SOP...
Capture 2015-08-09 16_48_16.png

blowing it to bits!

It was very crude, a bunch of TNT wired to a 5 second timer which was wired to the detonator:
Capture 2015-08-09 16_49_22.png

So he pushed down on the detonator and the timer began to tick down...
Capture 2015-08-09 16_55_43.png

And just in time, the tax collector unknowingly walked into the demolition zone.
Capture 2015-08-09 16_56_412.png

PRLkG72.gif

The explosion left a clean hole where the entrance used to be!
Capture 2015-08-09 16_59_37.png

With the old entrance out of the way, it was time to build the new one:
k8hPDwZ.gif

Still image of the new entrance:
Capture 2015-08-09 22_05_44.png

During the construction, the storage room needed to be relocated so it was moved to the other side of the shop:
Capture 2015-08-09 21_43_48.png

And finally, the full image of the fortress in a lovely 256 colour palette:
Capture 21.png
The jungle island isn't included because nothing interesting happened there.

That's it for today!
Until next time, TTFN! ^.^

(Hopefully no serious hiccups were made in the making of this post)
(If the post is too spammy with the images, i might spoiler some of them, the next time around.)

How do you deal with Wyverns? Oh, and gravestone at the top left.

I don't think there's been any wyverns inside the fortress yet, as most of the fortress is below the height where harpies and wyverns can spawn or there are tons of NPC's on screen at any time. I fear that as the fortress will keep gaining height, they may become a problem...

Anyway, onto to today's doings:

Up until recently, the fortress was kept aloft by the metric crap-tons of steam made when the 3 hellevators were dug and several underground lakes worth of water was poured into the underworld and evaporated... unfortunately the steam's been running weak for a while now and the fortress has steadily been losing height. i suspect the demise of the Wall of Flesh may have worsened the issue...

However, the steam was never meant to be a permanent way to keep Fort Ilo in the sky, just a temporary measure until a more permanent solution could be implemented and that, was done today with this:
Engine Prototype.gif

ERE(Energetic Reaction Engine), based upon the precursors' blueprints for a scalable engine with lifting capabilities several times that of any known rocket engine.

While Virgas was gonna build 4 of these engines beneath Fort Ilo, the prototype he built revealed that they would take a ridiculous amount of amber, glass and tin ore to build so he settled for building two of them instead. But even two will be enough to keep the fortress and the attached jungle island afloat for a very long time...

Here is a picture of both of them attached:
Capture 2015-08-10 18_59_53.png

Sadly their construction was not recorded as either the camera or the cameraman was malfunctioning at the time.

Here are two images of them after they were activated...
At night(i think they look pretty cool at night)
Capture 2015-08-10 21_32_41.png

And at day:
Capture 2015-08-10 19_19_53.png

Capture 22.png

That's all for today, and likely, there won't be an update tomorrow, if i get to play Terraria at all, it'll probably be resource gathering...

I don't think there's been any wyverns inside the fortress yet, as most of the fortress is below the height where harpies and wyverns can spawn or there are tons of NPC's on screen at any time. I fear that as the fortress will keep gaining height, they may become a problem...

Anyway, onto to today's doings:

Up until recently, the fortress was kept aloft by the metric crap-tons of steam made when the 3 hellevators were dug and several underground lakes worth of water was poured into the underworld and evaporated... unfortunately the steam's been running weak for a while now and the fortress has steadily been losing height. i suspect the demise of the Wall of Flesh may have worsened the issue...

However, the steam was never meant to be a permanent way to keep Fort Ilo in the sky, just a temporary measure until a more permanent solution could be implemented and that, was done today with this:
View attachment 70449
ERE(Energetic Reaction Engine), based upon the precursors' blueprints for a scalable engine with lifting capabilities several times that of any known rocket engine.

While Virgas was gonna build 4 of these engines beneath Fort Ilo, the prototype he built revealed that they would take a ridiculous amount of amber, glass and tin ore to build so he settled for building two of them instead. But even two will be enough to keep the fortress and the attached jungle island afloat for a very long time...

Here is a picture of both of them attached:
View attachment 70452
Sadly their construction was not recorded as either the camera or the cameraman was malfunctioning at the time.

Here are two images of them after they were activated...
At night(i think they look pretty cool at night)
View attachment 70451
And at day:
View attachment 70450

View attachment 70455

That's all for today, and likely, there won't be an update tomorrow, if i get to play Terraria at all, it'll probably be resource gathering...
I absolutely LOVE that idea! Also, you may have to build an arena filled with spikes and/or traps on top of the Fort soon. That may be able to deal with the Wyverns/Harpies. Just an idea. :)

In the name of... well, me, I crown you (un)official best builder in Terraria ever
Gold_Crown.png

Would it be possible to post a download link to the world?

Hey Strik3r! Might as well help you out a bit with the Wyverns' potential problem. I discovered this on one of HappyDays' videos:
BXEoFAE

If you can't see it, it says:
"As long as there are NPCs living in your base, Wyverns won't spawn (**few exceptions, check wiki)."
Hope that helps you out!

In the name of... well, me, I crown you (un)official best builder in Terraria ever
Gold_Crown.png

Would it be possible to post a download link to the world?

Thank you for the kind words!

As for the world download: I intended to give one at the end of chapter 1 anyway but i kind of forgot... so here is a HERE is a zipped copy of FaceMurdered as it is right now. ;)

Hey Strik3r! Might as well help you out a bit with the Wyverns' potential problem. I discovered this on one of HappyDays' videos:
BXEoFAE

If you can't see it, it says:
"As long as there are NPCs living in your base, Wyverns won't spawn (**few exceptions, check wiki)."
Hope that helps you out!

Thanks! that's actually really handy!

There are NPC rooms planned for upper floors, so its pretty likely i'll never have a wyvern spawn on me while i'm inside the fortress.

Now onto today's update:

The construction of Fort Ilo is no small feat, that much is certain and the amount of resources it takes is not a small amount, furthermore with both the hallow and the crimson corrupting and changing the world, makes the said resources not only more scarce on FaceMurdered but harder to acquire than ever. Not willing to tear up the last small patches of pure sand and stone left in the land, Virgas needed a solution, and a vacaition from the harsh lands of FaceMurdered...

Determined to solve both issues at once, he packed some basic supplies and set out on a quest to a new land. He was ready, determined if need be, to fly over half the earth if it meant finding what he wanted. Fortunately, luck struck him and a large island just off the west coast of FaceMurdered was exactly what he was looking for: Tin below surface and half the land covered in frigid tundra!

Pleased with his find, he immediately began building an outpost on his newly claimed land:
0etopp7.gif

(Imgur may or may not be derpy again...)

Due to an unfortunate accident involving a bathtub and a stick of dynamite, a part of the outpost was destroyed and was rebuilt to be part of the upper entrance.
The only casualty in the accident was the bathtub.

Within an afternoon, Outpost Sierra One was completed:
Capture 2015-08-13 08_49_45.png

It even has a small rail to the hellevator:
Capture 2015-08-13 01_51_29.png

With the outpost built, Virgas was ready to harvest this land for its bounty.

Last edited:
Just gonna write something here to get notifications when it's updating :)

Welcome aboard :)

Hey again, everyone, before we get to today's update, i'm just wanna talk about a few slightly important things but im gonna spoiler it so you can skip the
First of all, i'm terribly sorry for not putting out an update for... 3 days i think? Anyway i spent all that time working on a sprite, yes... A sprite, a :red:ing 32 by 24 sprite and i've got piss all to show for it since it's related to Fort Ilo and i don't wanna spoil anything...

Second, i've been thinking about the future of Fort Ilo a lot recently, specifically how to increase it's longevity and improve the interaction with you guys and i dunno if anyone would be interested in something like this but...

One: I'm taking ideas for builds, so if there are any ideas what i could bolt onto Fort Ilo, you can tell me. And if you feel like this is an attempt at reply farming, you can totally PM me with your idea. Of course all ideas will be credited.

Two: Since i'm actually writing a bit of a story to go along with each post, I wanna to open up "reservations"(Custom naming NPC's) within Fort Ilo and since the "E-Mail Virgas" thing didn't work out, to get a NPC named after yourself, you'd post which NPC you wish named and optionally a name. I'd keep a queue of names for each NPC. If a NPC gets named, it would at the very least be mentioned as part of the arrivals list, with a chance that i'll write a short text about the said NPC within the story. The deaths of named NPC's would be given similar treatment. We'll see how this goes, if at all. Again, i won't mind if you just PM asking a NPC to be named.​

Finally, expect another long-ish delay after this or the next post, as i have something special planned...
if you wish

Anyway, onto the update:

The tax collectors of Fort Ilo don't have it easy, with everyone constantly trying to find an excuse to brutally murder them with the nearest thing they can find or being blown up as part of a construction project, the newest one, Max Shekelston demanded that Virgas build him a proper home instead of the small temporary housing box he was living in.

While Max threatening to sue Virgas over poor housing conditions accelerated the planning process somewhat, Virgas knew that the fortress was going to need a vault anyway, so an office for the tax collector would be built as a part of it. The original design called for 3 heavy, six foot thick doors separating the office and the vault but Max threatened to sue Virgas for all his money over the small size of the office, so one of the 3 doors was removed in order to make Max's office bigger.

Once the office was completed Max immediately told Virgas to haul a bunch of golden stuff into it and then took up residence while the vault was still being built. After the completion of the vault, Virgas decided to build a small thruster underneath it to help with the fortress' stability. Unfortunately, construction materials were lacking so Virgas flew over to Outpost S1 to get some tin and amber.

While mining the fossils in the underground desert, Virgas somehow managed to get trapped twice under falling sand and almost suffocate. But even that did little to slow him down and he soon returned to Fort Ilo with close to 3 tons of fossils and a half a ton of both tin and lead. After running all of it through the extractinator, Virgas returned to building the thruster. Upon the completion of the thruster, it was revealed that it put out much less thrust than anticipated, but still plenty enough to fulfill its purpose.

Finally here are some nausea-frames of the construction:
l9S0neA.gif

And the full image of the fortress:
Capture 23.png

(1.91MB in 256 colours with extreme PNG compression, whew)

That's all for today, sorry for the text-heavy post, its obvious i need to include more pretty pictures... i mean who the heck reads novels nowadays, right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom