Game Mechanics Functional Pets

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
Since terraria has now opened up the door to functional pets (specifically, Chester), I would like to propose a few more. But first, just to clarify, ALL OF THESE SHOULD GO IN THE "light pets" SLOT (perhaps renamed to "functional pets" as described in my other post here: Game Mechanics - Make Chester a "light pet" for balance reasons). Anyways here we go, I know some of these are a stretch so feedback or ideas would be appreciated. May add more as I think of them:

-Chester should by reworked to give access to the safe, instead of the piggy bank
-Instead, the money trough should be equippable as a light pet.
-A mini pirate (just like the summon) that can pick up coins for you. Distinguished by a unique hat?
-A "holographic screen" that shows time and position, perhaps appears when the cell phone is equipped in the light pets slot
-A "mysterious portal" that allows access to the void bag.
-The companion cube could be reworked to be solid from the top only, so players could walk through it as normal, but acts like a platform if you jump on it.
-A "fly" that boosts fishing speed slightly? (or if this isnt possible then just boost power by 5). Would basically be a single pixel flying around your head.
-A "Cat" that occasionally drops a fish when near water pools.

Unlike summons, these would all provide some other utility instead of damage. None of these should heal either, since I think support minions should be added.

Last edited:
Light pets are kind of a dumb idea for over 80% of the game, plus the money trough and chester are in awkward spots. This sounds like a much-needed rework.

Light pets are kind of a dumb idea for over 80% of the game, plus the money trough and chester are in awkward spots. This sounds like a much-needed rework.
Yea currently the money trough is spawned floating in one spot like the void bag (as im sure youre aware), but I think it would be cool for it to follow you like a pet and still keep its piggy bank functionality. If they did it with chester, why not the flying pig?

Yea currently the money trough is spawned floating in one spot like the void bag (as im sure youre aware), but I think it would be cool for it to follow you like a pet and still keep its piggy bank functionality. If they did it with chester, why not the flying pig?
Why would you remove an item that does has a special function to change it to have the same function as an item already in the game?

Why would you remove an item that does has a special function to change it to have the same function as an item already in the game?
Read my original post. The intention was to let the money trough be the piggy bank pet the way it has always been. Chester should instead access the safe, not the piggy bank

Read my original post. The intention was to let the money trough be the piggy bank pet the way it has always been. Chester should instead access the safe, not the piggy bank
My apologies, I’d thought the safe and piggybank had the same storage

Because It would be cool to have a holographic looking screen following you? Why else? I didnt want to make this one too early game

then make it just a screen that displays nothing and make it go in the normal pet slot, or move it to earlier in progression, because having the cellphone be either a pet that only displays 3 things or as an item that displays 12 (and can function as a magic mirror) is a pretty obvious choice. and i mean, the pda exists, which almost no one uses because by the time you have half (or even a quarter) of the ingredients for pda, you already have a magic mirror.

i would suggest moving the holographic display screen to gps, or maybe giving the pda more effects that would make it more of a harder choice if you want to use it as an item or a functional pet, such as permanently highlighting valuables and enemies, and making rare enemies glow. and then there's others that wouldn't even translate to functional pets at all. how would you make a functional pet out of the stopwatch?

then make it just a screen that displays nothing and make it go in the normal pet slot, or move it to earlier in progression, because having the cellphone be either a pet that only displays 3 things or as an item that displays 12 (and can function as a magic mirror) is a pretty obvious choice. and i mean, the pda exists, which almost no one uses because by the time you have half (or even a quarter) of the ingredients for pda, you already have a magic mirror.

i would suggest moving the holographic display screen to gps, or maybe giving the pda more effects that would make it more of a harder choice if you want to use it as an item or a functional pet, such as permanently highlighting valuables and enemies, and making rare enemies glow. and then there's others that wouldn't even translate to functional pets at all. how would you make a functional pet out of the stopwatch?
Obviously if we went with the cellphone idea, it would display all of the normal things, just would now work from the pet slot. And actually, that frees up an inventory slot too soo...

Edit: and as for "highlighting valuables and enemies", you might like this post: Game Mechanics - Useful Lifeform Analyzer/Metal Detector

Last edited:
Obviously if we went with the cellphone idea, it would display all of the normal things, just would now work from the pet slot. And actually, that frees up an inventory slot too soo...

not really, what about the magic mirror? you still need one of those, unless you just want to save and exit every time you want to return to spawn

not really, what about the magic mirror? you still need one of those, unless you just want to save and exit every time you want to return to spawn
Then take it out and use it? or perhaps it could be clicked on like chester, but i feel like people might do that accidentally

Then take it out and use it? or perhaps it could be clicked on like chester, but i feel like people might do that accidentally

alternatively, you could just move this functional pet to the pda, not craft the cellphone, and not have to do some anti-autopause finagling every time you want to return to spawn.

which would also help out some mods, thorium for example, as you wouldn't have to find (or craft) a second magic mirror to make it's magic mirror combination, which in thorium's case, already requires more then 1 copy of the magic mirror

alternatively, you could just move this functional pet to the pda, not craft the cellphone, and not have to do some anti-autopause finagling every time you want to return to spawn.

which would also help out some mods, thorium for example, as you wouldn't have to find (or craft) a second magic mirror to make it's magic mirror combination, which in thorium's case, already requires more then 1 copy of the magic mirror
Edited previous post #10, you should check it out

As an autopause user myself, I am aware this would be kind of annoying for us, but for those who dont use autopause, it could easily be taken out for a second to be used anywhere and anytime! But either way, this basically this saves the inventory slot everyone has set aside for it, useful for all players.

Back
Top Bottom