Game runs in "Slow motion" or low fps?

Sorry but this it just bogus.. No real help for us with "PC's well above average specs" that have issues, only regular "surf laptop" or old PC tips for those that does not know their way around settings yet.

Good luck to the rest of you though!

Guys, maybe i have some advice that helps
Some of you may notice that marathon achievment things causing lagg and low fps
So i try searching achievment file on local disk and found this file"achievment-steam.dat"
Delete that files before you play
And the marathon achievment and other "on progress" achievment will reset
Thanks

The FPS issues are strange but I would suggest you double check your XNA and .NEt Installations make sure not to use a updated system. Always install Windows clean before installing XNA/.NET unless it comes with it like Windows 10 does. Also, be sure to edit your GFX control panel settings to override those settings with the game.

Hi everyone, my fiance just had this problem: game used to work fine, and for some reason today it's super slow, like he activated some 50% speed setting or something. We both have nice MSI gaming laptops, so specs shouldn't be a problem (especially since we've played it for ages without a problem). After tons of trial and error, we finally figured out the problem: his laptop wasn't plugged in to the charger. He plugged it in, and voila, immediately fixed. I tried it myself; mine was running fine, and I unplugged my laptop, and immediately the rain slowed down, the bunnies slowed down, everything slowed to a crawl.

tl;dr plug your laptop in!

Hope this helps someone! Off to continue exploring the jungle...

I think this may help you :
First : enable frameskip
Second:Open the task manager and go to details and defind priority to High
this might add 10-15 fps to your game and it might run faster
hope it helps :p

I am also having issues on any resolution higher than 1440x900.

Things I have tried:
  • Increasing CPU priority
  • Setting CPU affinity to 1/2 cores
  • Disabling/enabling frame skip
  • Uninstalling XNA and .NET frameworks and then reinstalling them
  • Disabling/enabling multicore lightning
  • Various combinations of every graphical setting
  • Lowest quality everything
  • Disabling overclock on CPU
I've noticed that retro lighting sometimes helps, which is odd since it shoots CPU usage up to 100%. Colored/white lighting usually sits around 45%, but will always be slow.

My PC should not be struggling to run this game. It certainly hasn't in the past.

Intel i5 4690K @ 4.5GHz
8GB DDR3
AMD R9 290X
Windows 10
XNA framework 4.0
.NET framework 4.7
1440p monitor that I would like to play at native resolution

Terraria used to always run fine, even on the latest version, but now I'm having the same issue of it running in a sort of "slo mo" and my fps is between 40-50. I've tried:
  • Turning frame skip on/off
  • Going into nvidias control panel and forcing vsync on.
  • Closing all processes
  • Restarting Terraria/My computer
  • Updating/reinstalling XNA and .NET
  • Deleting all config files of Terraria
  • Reinstalling Terraria
  • Verifying game in steam
  • Multicore Lighting On/Off
  • Every combination of settings and vsync
  • Changing CPU Affinity between 1 and 4.
  • Increasing/Decreasing priority
  • Tried fullscreen, windowed, fullscreen borderless, different resolutions
Intel i5 4670k @ 3.5GHz
GeForce Gtx 970
8GB DDR3
Windows 7
XNA Framework 4.0
.NET Framework 4.7

I wrote about issue with stuttering and fps drop already a long time ago and remember receiving only answers from a forum admin/mod/whatever that very arrogantly dismissed my issue as a mere problem of configuration of the game first, driver update then and ultimately "it's your problem, no one else reported it".

The old thread i'm referencing: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/2-seconds-freeze-every-15-20-seconds-of-play.45660/

I left the discussion very disappointed back then because I played Terraria since its first release and loved the game so much.
It's nearly a year or so at this point that I can't play it anymore due to this issue.

I've just posted this video because my kids begun playing terraria and I'd like them to have a decent experience with the game.
The video is still being uploaded:
This is my DXDiag: https://pastebin.com/MMV8UKLw

Last edited:
I had the same issue. Just turn your lighting to Retro or Trippy. Frame skip doesn't really do anything. Do get to this setting, go to Settings (in game)>Video>Lighting>Retro or Trippy

Hello, I searched the forums a moment ago for information on my problem but didn't find much. My problem is that when I play Terraria in full screen it feels as though the game is running in slow motion. It seems like it is locked at 40 fps but I have frame skip on and V-Sync off. If I switch to window mode that fixes the issue for a little bit, but then the game randomly locks back to its slow motion state. I have done many things with Nvidia control panel and the in game settings. The one thing I figured out is that when I have frame skip off, it no longer seems like it is in slow motion, the issue with frame skip off though is that the mouse cursor moves in slow motion and there is delay in mouse movement. I have two GTX 680s 4gb in sli, the issue is obviously not my gpu power. I'm at a lost as to what I should do. In any case, the solution cannot involve turning frame skip off since that causes input delay in mouse cursor movement. And I have indeed updated all drivers and etc. If someone has any solutions please do tell. Thanks!

PC Specs: X2 GeForce GTX 680 4gb each
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40GHz
8.00 GB RAM
5760x1080 resolution at 60Hz (I'm only running the game on one monitor)
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro

UPDATE: I discovered you can see your FPS by hitting F10. Mine is locked to 60, but every 5 minutes or so goes to 45. This is a huge problem since that makes me unsynced when playing with my brother. However, tapping F9 4 times fixes it for about another 5 minutes. Hitting F9 cycles through the lighting, I hit it 4 times so it cycles through all the lighting options back to where it started.

UPDATE 2: I have just "fixed it" for me atleast. So it appears that the fps is locked to 45 when frame skip is on, but locked to 60 when it is off. But the problem with frame skip off is that although I get 60 fps, my mouse gets input delay or is laggy. I went Nvidia control panel and turned Vsync on for terraria, then I turned frame skip off, now I'm getting constant 60 fps and it appears turning Vsync on in Nvidia fixes the mouse lag issue, or makes it less noticeable atleast. Anyways I also think it is interesting that frames effect game speed, for example if I had 120 fps all enemies would move twice the speed, yet in most games, for example Minecraft, if you had 120 fps all of the enemies still move at the same rate. I found that interesting.

I have almost the exact same problem but for me, 1600 X 1200 and any resolutions above that cause the game to run in slow motion. I've tried enabling Vsync, turning frame skip off( fixes that I found online and in the above post) but neither of them worked for me. I play in full screen and going to windowed will randomly make the issue better for approx. 5 mins, then it gets just as slow or worse.
PC Specs:
Processor: AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.60 GHz
RAM: 8GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Native Screen res: 1920 X 1080(I try to play on this but as stated above, resolutions 1600 X 1200 and above cause the issue.
Also, I seem to frequently getting a bluescreen when playing terraria with this Stopcode: Thread Stuck in device Driver

I looked online and found that it is mostly a driver problem so I updated my monitor and graphics drivers and ran windows update, problem still happens... to the point where I boot back in, load terraria, load a world, then blue screen again and pc restart. Any thoughts would be appreciated for both issues. :)

I found out what was causing the slowdown (at least for me). If the game window clips through the bottom of my screen even a little bit, the slowdown will occur. I tested it with window mode (without borderless window so I could move it).

I noticed that it was weird that I could play at 1680x1050 hitting 120 FPS easily (max refresh rate), but as soon as I used my native res of 1920x1080 it slowed down considerably to sub 50 FPS, probably because the way it's coded makes it clip the bottom of the screen. Fixing this would be great.

Now I just need to fix the problem with my resolution not saving at all. Even when I manually modify the config.json file, it will always start up at my native resolution of 1920x1080. If the slowdown bug gets fixed then this won't matter to me, but it's still a bug none-the-less.

While I am playing, my frames will suddenly drop to 30 for a minute and then go up to 60 rather frequently. Now before, I wouldn't mind 30 fps as i played this on a shoddy laptop. Now that I've built this budget gaming rig, I'm used to seeing the games I play on their max frames and the transition is noticeable. I have tried adjusting lighting, frame skip and turning my mods off then on after experimentation. I will post my specs below.

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.40GHz 30 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0M9KCM (CPU 1)
Graphics
SAMSUNG (1842x1026@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Dell) 32 °C
Storage
931GB Hitachi HDE721010SLA330 (SATA) 32 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
USB Audio Device

I have tried posting in several forums now including the steam one without a single reply. All I want to do is play a game that I've clocked over 3000 offline hours on since it was the only thing I played from 2012 to 2015 when i did not have internet.

Edit: I decided to do some tinkering on my own and I think I fixed it.

First, I turned frame skip OFF which made the game move in slow motion more often.

Next, I went into the nvidia control panel and turned on v-sync for terraria in particular. I was still experiencing slowdowns.

Finally, I looked at the exact resolution of my monitor and changed it to that in terraria's settings. With this, I played for an hour at flat 60 fps without experiencing a single drop.

Now, this obviously won't be a solution for everyone. In the mean time though, this is totally worth a try as a temporary fix until the developers get it all sorted out.

This is how to adjust v sync on AMD & Nvidia cards;

AMD
  1. Click the Start button or Windows icon.
  2. Type "Catalyst control center" into the search programs and files field
  3. Press Enter on your keyboard.
  4. Click on "Gaming".
  5. Under "3D Application Settings" scroll down to where you can see "Wait for vertical refresh".
  6. Move the slider down to the side that says "Quality" and the text beneath it says "Always On".

Nvidia

1. Click the Start button or Windows icon.
  2. Type "NVIDIA control panel" into the Search programs and files field.
  3. Press Enter on your keyboard.
  4. Click on "Manage 3D settings"
  5. Go to Program Settings
  6. Select terraria in the dropdown
  7. Scroll down in the specified settings and turn v-sync on. (For whatever reason, I also turned on triple buffering and don't know if this contributed to anything.)

I think the option to open the control centers are also available when you right click your home screen.

To those that use on-board integrated graphics, I can't say for certain if there is a setting to adjust v-sync. The advanced options are usually really limited.

All in all, I hope this works for someone and I wish you all a merry Christmas ~:)

Last edited:
I'm having the slow-motion issue as well. Brand new custom-built PC. I've noticed that the slow down is directly associated with lighting effects, whether it's the time of day changing the ambient light, or holding a glowstick while I run.

I also had that issue, mostly occurring when entering a new biome or having multiple teleporters going off at once. This FPS dropping I found really weird, considering it only started happening after I upgrading my graphics card... (It was a really big upgrade too) I found I could temporarily fix it by alt-tabbing out and then back in, but that gets rather annoying. While I was looking through settings trying to figure it out, I noticed my resolution was off, (1920x1016, Instead of what it should be, 1920x1080) so I changed the resolution, and restarted Terraria... Fixed! Not sure if this solution works for anybody else, but it worked for me!
TLDR: Check your resolution! (In Terraria settings) Make sure it matches your monitor!

I have noticed some massive slowdowns in my main terraria world. I have noticed that it lags much more during daytime, and it runs nearly perfectly during the night. My settings are nearly maxed, but my computer should still be able to handle this as I have a Gtx 1080 ti and a Ryzen 7 1700 processor with 32 GB of DDR4 ram. My resolution is at 4K (can’t remember the exact numbers at the moment) and my zoom is all the way out.

If nothing else works, I put my game in fullscreen and took borderless window off and it went back to 60 fps

You have to update the drivers for your video card (or cards) you can get them from the website for your video card manufacturer

Back
Top Bottom