Games that ruined their entire franchise

Paper Mario: Sticker Star ruined what was a great franchise. If Nintendo just kept with the previous formula, it probably would have been a lot better. After Paper Jam, they should go back to the style of the first three games.

BTW Super Paper Mario was a great game, and is a unique twist. I just wish it's cutscenes could be skipped.

Sonic Boom : Rise of Liryc (we all know why)
Duke Nukem Forever (what sick mother:red:er picks up wet feces!?)
Doom 3 (it was too horror, not enough shooter in it)
Slender: the arrival (people say it was less scary than the original)

Metroid Other M.

Authorisations, power suits that works only with concentration. The ridley moment. The whole mission. And they also removed the freedom you have to walk around.

This game showed the terrible weak points of samus, and that's not what any of the fans want, not after all the badassory she had done before that game in the timeline

With Other M's scenario, I highly doubt that was the cause of Metroid's death (if it actually died in the first place). Metroid as a series is very unpopular in Japan before Other M came about, especially after the series transitioned into 3D when sales declined with Metroid Prime and Other M was an attempt to appeal to the Japanese culture. Maybe Other M's poor sales figures was enough of a reason for Nintendo to stop caring about the series (until now, where they are doing Federation Force), but I am certain it wasn't the cause of the series' death. Edit: Metroid has also seen longer breaks between games in the series. Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion were 8 years apart, though that was because Metroid 64 was scrapped and moved onto the Gamecube as Metroid Prime.
That said, I think Other M was about average to me and did not quite deserve all of the flack it got. Return of Samus was a weaker game IMO.

Sticker Star's case was related to Other M's case too. It was Nintendo's attempt to cater to the fanbase; both the first two Paper Mario games as well as SPM had massive fanbases, which largely hated the other games (PM 1&2's fanbase largely hated SPM, whereas there was a lot of dislike for PM 1&2 from the SPM fanbase). Nintendo wanted to return to the series roots while attempting to streamline the games for the SPM fanbase and completely failed in that regard in SS. Paper Mario is still relevant now, especially that we are getting that Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi game. Even disregarding that, It hasn't been that long since Sticker Star.

In regards to Sonic '06, that I hazard a guess is when SEGA started rushing their games. For a while after that point, Sonic was seeing two releases yearly and that probably accounted for the franchise being rushed. The releases have slowed down recently and went back to a yearly release schedule, but Sonic Boom was also handled by Big Red Button as well as it was a spinoff. Therefore, '06 did not ruin the franchise but rather SEGA's incompetence.

----

I agree with the notion that the hate in this thread is exaggerated. Pinning the blame for ruining entire franchises because of x game is a form of conflating hate onto them and missing why franchises went downhill to them. Maybe it could be shoddy business decisions made by the company, or maybe it could be growing out of said franchise, I don't know but just blaming certain games for it is completely missing why your opinion on the franchise has went down.

*Clears throat* *points at fnaf 4*
The game's story was complete The kids were freed and the killer got what he deserved and now the last game is just there to celebrate how the last game was 1 year ago
(Maybe I am being a bit harsh since it hasn't really come out but still its just a extra in the series that we didn't need :p )

I don't know, it might be good. At least hes not going beyond this.

Also, for the game series, Banjo Kazooie was killed by nuts and bolts.

YOU JUST INSULTED MY FAVORITE WII GAME
Granted, I never played the first 2. So... Yeah.
Sticker Star, we can quite confidently say, was crap.
Super paper mario as an amazing game, probably one of the best on the wii, the biggest problem with it is the fact that it had absolutely no connection to the previous paper mario games, the gameplay elements weren't even similar. If it had a different name without paper in the title you probably would have loved it
i cant say nothing about stickier because i never played it :/ and i find super paper mario cool but it not the worst, can you guys undestand?

World of Warcraft

Warcraft II was one of my all-time favorite games, and Warcraft III was also great. However WoW completely borked the storyline with the "everyone can be a hero" thing they did. Even going back to the Warcraft I days in a time loop and saying nothing ever happened. UGH. It's like taking a great book and saying, "Nah, we're going to somehow write in that all the good stuff is not cannon and somehow insert the plot of New Moon instead."

think everyone agrees that the 3rd one not only killed the franchise, but it did a "too-ie" on it's grave

Wrong, at least in my opinion. That was the first game I played in the series, and I loved it. I made so many wacky things, and screwed around in the test-o-track in multiplayer, driving around and torching my brother with welder's breath. Then I actually bought the first two games and loved them just as much. It may be a different genre, but play it for what it is and not what it should have been. Besides, Yooka-Laylee.

Need For Speed. A racing game series that once held both Grand Turismo and Mario Kart under it's boots, effectively nuked by it's 7th installment, Underground, and soon-to-be nuked again. When EA decided to hand over the series to Black Box (they also made Skate, another Hipster Simulator) back in 2001-ish, the new developers decided the best way to preserve the Need For Speed legacy is to wipe it out and make a Fast & Furious themed Mario Kart game instead. It's been like that since, with an attempted revival by Criterion Games being short lived as EA didn't waste any time running them into the ground.

Need For Speed. A racing game series that once held both Grand Turismo and Mario Kart under it's boots, effectively nuked by it's 7th installment, Underground, and soon-to-be nuked again. When EA decided to hand over the series to Black Box (they also made Skate, another Hipster Simulator) back in 2001-ish, the new developers decided the best way to preserve the Need For Speed legacy is to wipe it out and make a Fast & Furious themed Mario Kart game instead. It's been like that since, with an attempted revival by Criterion Games being short lived as EA didn't waste any time running them into the ground.

Underground really did suck.

Fable III. By god.

Fable II wasn't great either, but Fable III completely nailed that coffin shut. Everything that made the first game enjoyable was removed and replaced by Windows Live crap.

Sticker Star, we can quite confidently say, was crap.
I actually liked Sticker Star. D:

Anyways, I guess I'd have to say Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. But then again, I haven't played that many Sonic games. Maybe there was a different one that ruined the franchise. Okay, sure, some might say Sonic '06, but I don't think that really RUINED the franchise - it just was a bad game. In fact, that might just be the same case with Sonic Boom. If it is, then I don't know...although if I tried really hard I could probably name at least one.

If any game it is definantly plants vs zombies 2:its about time.

At first I was like WOAH! Then the map updated, and then I saw the pay to win, then I saw how ridiculousy hard it is for me.

I was a diehard fan of the original pvz but this completely ruined it for me.

It isn't a PC game! I had to buy a tablet to play it on!its just a shiny free to play game from EA.

Back
Top Bottom