Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I like the Announcement Box

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • I don't like ether one of them

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Master Geass

Terrarian
Here is a fun though for capture the gem. Gem Locks or Gem Switches as they could be called. The would be crafted with gems and wires and would turn the appropriate color. They would be placed on wall and are about the side of the Item Frame. When you put in the matching Large Gem it would output a wire signal. When you remove the gem it would output another signal.

The main idea is to use on capture the gem maps where you would have to return to base with the enemy gem. When you place the large gem in the slot it would trigger something to declare you the winner, maybe set off fireworks. This can also be useful for adventure maps where they could be used to open actuator doors or use teleporters. The point of it outputting signals both when you put it in and remove it is for maps with more then two teams. If you need to gather all the gems to win and someone comes to steal the gem while you are trying to get the others. I can see how you can wire something to need all of them in place.

The other item is the Announcement Box. I'm not sure how you would get it, maybe buy it from an NPC. Likely the wizard. It functions like a sign that you can wire. You click it like a sign and wright down a message. When it gets a signal it would send out the message in chat. There would also be a cool down before it could be used again. This can also be used with the Gem Locks to broadcast victory.

The announcement box. Yes. Yes. SO MUCH YES.

As for the gem lock, it would be difficult to use as it would send two different signals. This could be resolved with wires of two colors, but which one sends the signal when the gem is taken off and which one sends the signal when it's colocated in the lock? How would that exactly work?

Yes, that could be an issue. When I was coming up with the idea I was thinking of a four team CtG match. When you place a gem it could actuator a block, maybe a spike, on a bird timer. There would be a lever you could put to trigger the bird stature and the bird would fly to the button wired to the Announcement Box. Each Gem Lock it wired to a different spike and unless all the spikes are actuated the bird won't make it to the button.

The double signal could be considered normal when you think about it. Both switches and levers have two positions. Left/right or up/down and when returning it to it's previous state it would send out another signal. That's just how wiring works in Terraria. Removing the gem could be viewed as just clicking the lever a second time.

One solution would be to have to have two kinds of Gem Locks. One would only signal when the gem is placed and one would send a signal but when it's placed and removed. There could be a tool to toggle it between the two once it's place.

Another solution would be to consider the size of the item. I had the item frame in mind when picturing it in my head. It would likely look like a gem colored item frame or weapon rack with a matching hole for the gem to go into. That would make it ether 2x2 or 3x3. We could have it output a signal to the top of it once you put the gem in and output a signal to the bottom once you remove it. That way you can deiced on which it will do when wiring it.

Awesome! Multiplayer server games without special server software!!!
For the gem things I would think that a force field door you can only pass through if you have the gem might work better, but yours should exist too. Maybe also a version where you can't remove the gem without breaking it with a picksaw or something, if you want it to not be removable.

That might be good too. I didn't think of it before plus the twin signal was in case there where more then two teams fighting over the gems and you had to get all of them. Then you would have to guard the gems. Still I could see why you might want one you can't just remove.

Sweet. I just saw the new 1.3.1 spoiler and it looks like the Gem Locks will be added. Chippy called them Gem Switches. I guess that's a good name for them too. I only called them locks as I thought of using large gems as keys. Looks like we will be getting more large gems too. Now we just need the announcement box to go with them.

Sweet. I just saw the new 1.3.1 spoiler and it looks like the Gem Locks will be added. Chippy called them Gem Switches. I guess that's a good name for them too. I only called them locks as I thought of using large gems as keys. Looks like we will be getting more large gems too. Now we just need the announcement box to go with them.
Yay! New gem textures! Because the old ones looked kinda bad. ;3

This new feature could have many multiplayer uses, such as for Capture The Gem.

Does anyone see the GemLock is useless? I can just destroy the Gem Lock and replace it with a switch and it all be done. The announcent box is cool through.

Back
Top Bottom