Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not much of a tech-guy (not just talking about Terraria... I suck at gunpoint...) but I thought maybe we could use actuators on all objects, I've been looking into how I could have a functioning base that can also be hidden but I never could do it... I was also thinking about electric doors, gates, and rope mechanisms along with joints and rotators, non-stick surfaces (used for robots and other things movable ;)) and powered lasers that range from destroying stuff to collecting stuff. I believe these would truly unleash the Terraria community's creativity. (mainly mine cuz I'd know what all these would do, only if you understand me though) Anyway, hyped for the update, never stop being cool! (here's an ice slime to help :naughty::islime:)

I think it would be nice to have some sort of Mechanical fish or Piranha.
I thought of 2 different ways you could get the Mechanical fish. Idea 1 it can be a rare drop from fishing but can only be caught with the Mechanics Rod.
Idea 2 it can be crafted at the Tinker's Workshop for 6 wire 15 iron/lead and 4 shark fin.
How i works is it can only be placed in the water and it it will keep swimming around until a enemy enters the water then it will attack the enemy until the enemy dies or the Mechanical fish dies. The fish has 50/50 hp it cant regenerate health i don't really know how much damage it would do and it dose 0 knockback.
If you put it in the Tinkers Workshop with a grenade it will make a Explosive mechanical fish it dose the same thing as the normal Mechanical fish except it will explode when in attacks an enemy but once it explodes it dies and like a grenade it dose not destroy blocks.

Last edited:
hey i was wandering if a there could be a new item added that combined the 2 rulers and the toolbelt. since its frustrating to equip all three and fight of monsters while building. there could be a function like that of the cellphone where you can turn on and off certain features while equipped. it would also befitting the new tech update.

Technically, the Moon Lord, well, ISN'T Cthulhu. Cenx said herself once "The Moon Lord isn't meant to be Cthulhu. He was meant to be Cthulhu's brother"

Now, I don't know if the 'Cthulhu's brother' part is a joke or not, as I haven't read H.P Lovecraft's book yet, but does Cthulhu even have a brother? Does he have any brothers or sisters at all? I don't know that fact, but I'm sure that the Moon Lord is our end-game boss, and Cthulhu wasn't even meant to be 'implemented' into the rumours of Terraria.

My point being is: We have an end-game boss, the Moon Lord. Terraria probably wasn't even meant to have anything to do with Cthulhu back in 1.1. So basically: The Moon Lord isn't Cthulhu.

I think a Heaven Biome would be cool, you gotta dig down a lot to reach hell, maybe you could ascend a lot to reach Heaven.

Or maybe visiting a special spawn on a cloud island, you find a magical goblet that when used converts an area to the Heaven Biome like defeating the WoF does. However the conversion/location I think it would be nice to have this biome. :)

Cool! I think it would be amazing to have Snickerbobble's florescent beams as another option to use in place of wires. If done right, they could be used to make simple logic gates since they have clear on/off states.

Edit: I guess I'll add my other ideas here too:
  • A device that creates fluid when it gets a signal (and another that can drain fluid)
  • A silver wrench that places silver wires and consumes 5 silver coins for each wire. Cutting the wires would give you back the coins you used to place them.
  • A tool that could easily change blocks to their inactive states, and an accessory that could let the player place inactive blocks.
#SaveTheJungle
[doublepost=1459000461,1459000380][/doublepost]
Greetings Terrarians, from the other side of the 1.3 update!

Thanks so much for your enthusiastic response to the update thus far - as well as your assistance and patience in catching and squashing so many nasty bugs. With Mac/Linux launching this week, Mobile/Console update news in the air, and the exciting announcement around the new Nintendo versions, it is safe to say that it is a fantastic time to be a Terrarian!

With all that in mind, the team sat down and started to lay out some ideas around what we may want to explore for future updates. We have a handful of ideas and a general vision for where we would like to take things coming out of that - and that begins today with our announcing that Terraria 1.3.1 will be focused around upgrading the wiring & mechanics systems in Terraria!

View attachment 69102
(Image courtesy of @ajidot)​

Though simple on the surface, the capabilities of Terraria's mechanic system are deceptively complex - as evidenced by many of the amazing creations our fans have developed over time. From the Fountain in the 1.2 Trailer to the more-recent computers (and blackjack machines! ;) ) of 2015, you never cease to amaze us. That got the team thinking - what if we expanded upon that toolbox of capabilities? Even better, what if we asked you guys for your ideas in doing so?

divider.png

Well, that is exactly what we are going to do in this thread. You get a sense for what we are trying to do with 1.3.1 - now we need your ideas for how wiring and mechanics can be taken to the next level. To submit your idea:
  • Simply post your idea in this thread which as much detail as you can provide.
  • Anything is fair game: new items, new switches, more wire colors, etc.
  • The team will read through all of your ideas along the path to development for 1.3.1, and incorporate any new ideas that seem really cool
  • Of course, we already have our own internal list of "stuff", but we will keep that a secret for now.
divider.png

Ok, we will let you get right to it - we look forward to hearing all of your amazing ideas.

Thanks!
Am I allowed to post my ideas, there aren't that many.
[doublepost=1459000568][/doublepost]
I think it would be nice to have some sort of Mechanical fish or Piranha.
I thought of 2 different ways you could get the Mechanical fish. Idea 1 it can be a rare drop from fishing but can only be caught with the Mechanics Rod.
Idea 2 it can be crafted at the Tinker's Workshop for 6 wire 15 iron/lead and 4 shark fin.
How i works is it can only be placed in the water and it it will keep swimming around until a enemy enters the water then it will attack the enemy until the enemy dies or the Mechanical fish dies. The fish has 50/50 hp it cant regenerate health i don't really know how much damage it would do and it dose 0 knockback.
If you put it in the Tinkers Workshop with a grenade it will make a Explosive mechanical fish it dose the same thing as the normal Mechanical fish except it will explode when in attacks an enemy but once it explodes it dies and like a grenade it dose not destroy blocks.
Interesting idea! It sounds like a Pre-Hardmode version of the Piranha Gun!

Well figured i may as well throw my hat in since i am waiting for the next update. I would hope to see all (at least most) Statues gain actual uses. Here were the idea's I had (apologies in advanced for the impending long post and if someone else suggested these)
When powered causes a constant effect in a radius;
Angel Statue: either nothing still or reduce re-spawn time by a certain amount. Anvil Statue: give a chance to not use a random item when using an anvil (similar to alchemy table). Armor Statue: Increase defense (similar to the Dryad). Ax Statue: Increase ax mining speed (not power just speed). Boomerang Statue: Increase boomerang power. Boot Statue: Increase movement speed. Bow Statue: Increase bow power. Corrupt Statue: Either very slowly spread corruption in the area or change background/bgm to corruption biome. Cross Statue: Increase Invulnerability time/frames. Eye Statue: Spawn a Demon Eye. Gargoyle Statue: Reduce mob spawn rates. Gloom Statue: Increase mob spawn rate. Goblin Statue: Spawn a Goblin Scout. Hammer Statue: Increase hammer mining speed (not power). Hornet Statue: Spawn a Hornet. Imp Statue: Spawn an Imp. Mushroom Statue: Either very slowly spread Mushroom in the area or change background/bgm to Mushroom biome. Pickaxe Statue: Increase Pickaxe mining speed (not power). Pillar Statue: Increase block placing range/speed. Pot Statue: Spawn a pot once every few minutes. Potion Statue: Give a chance of making an extra potion or just increase chance of not using an ingredient. Reaper Statue: Increase damage but decrease defense. Shield Statue: Remove knock-back or increase def. Spear Statue: Increase Spear power. Sunflower Statue: Increase flower growing speed or very slowly spread Putiry in the area or change background/bgm to Purity biome. Sword Statue: Increase Sword power. Tree Statue: Increase tree growth speed. Woman Statue: Female npc's get buffed or give a discount. The three Lihzahrd statues: summon a random Lihzahrd.

Finally as for the text statues maybe something of when placed next to a teleporter (must be touching and on same level aka base of statue touching base of teleporter) it will link it to go to any other teleporter that has the matching letter/number next to it. Otherwise if only one it teleports randomly. Which could help with making far more compact teleporter rooms.

Sorry once again for the long post and hopefully this gets read and/or isn't just repeating something someone else has already said.

Just a few things I thought of as possible additives:
  • Bone pile/piles of materials this could include wood, stone, gems,fish, ect., ect. (Similar to coin piles)
  • Medieval style crank to be implemented as a better style of switch/ leaver for gates (possibly even part open settings)
    • With this idea could come a rope system and pulleys?
  • Sewer systems/objects:
    • Sludge piles
    • Large and small pipes
    • More pipe tile sets
    • Grates both floor and wall
  • Bicycle mount
  • Printer - Turn photos in game into pictures with frames to go on walls as decorations
  • Interactive objects - ( NPC's/Players able to sit and use objects like piano/bathtub ect)
  • Larger statues - (heroic ones) for courtyards ect. to be able to pay respect to our devs or champions from beyond our time.
  • Interactive storage:
    • Book shelves empty and able to be filled
    • Dressers and potential new cupboards and other shelving also start empty and able to be filled.
  • A computer:
    • Able to turn things on and off at certain times of day threw wiring systems.
      • Lights
      • Traps
      • Gates/doors
    • Sensors (use for advanced traps and block mechanics ie, drawbridges)
      • Creature
      • Player
      • Monster
      • NPC
    • 3D Printer or similar machine - Allows you to print prefabs saved by your computer
  • Boxes and crates
    • Possible mount that has a large inventory to be able to shift large quantities of materials easier)
  • Sleeping bag (not sure if already implemented) used as secondary re-spawn location that overrides bed till destroyed/removed from placed location.

I would love there to be some sort of Biome Inducer device.

That is to say, you know how there's the Pillar Monoliths that change the backgrounds? How about we have some similar objects that do that for the other backgrounds, or even have the affected area behave like the biome? (Monster spawns etc).
Well, I made a thread where I suggested a stand where you would place a weapon, and activating the stand would make it fire. You could put the clentaminator on it, and it would work just as well.

Wouldn't it be nice if Music Boxes had their own slot? I got some thoughts on this.
  • It would be with the slots for Pets, Mounts, and Grapple Hook.
  • Players can choose to project the music to people near by (called Projected Music). This is so the entire heard can listen to a song.
    • Placed music boxes will take priority of Projected Music for other players for server sake.
    • Players will hear the Projected Music of the person closest to them.
    • Players can choose to shun out Projected Music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom