NPCs & Enemies Gigarachnid, a new pre-hardmode boss

Do you support this?

• Total voters

hi9990005

Official Terrarian
During the constant trips to hell and the caverns for supplies, the area between hell and the surface starts to become... lackluster. I’m not saying that the cavern layer sucks, just that it starts to lose it’s special gleam of coolness after the 25th time through. I just think we could make the cavern expeditions a bit more interesting.

Gigarachnid

Gigarachnid is a spider boss that spawns in the cavern after you have killed at least 50 spider type enemies. After this it spawns with a 1/50 chance instead of regular cavern enemies such as skeletons and mother slimes. After he is defeated, the spawn chance goes down to 1/250. He is able to go through blocks, like most bosses. When summoned, gigarachnid will walk around like a spider and will also attack at a constant rate which is faster in expert mode. Gigarachnid can only spawn in spider nests. When gigarachnid spawns, all cobwebs in the nest are destroyed.

Stats
HP:
3600 (4970 in expert)
Defense: 10 (25 in expert)
KB Resist: 100%
Immune to: Poisoned, webbed, confused, and slow. Also immune to being slown by webs.

Attacks
Charge
40 melee damage(80 in expert)
Charges at player in a straight line, faster in expert.

Minion summon
Summons 8-12 minions (15-20 in expert)
Minion stats:
175 HP (350 in expert)
45 melee damage (75 in expert)
5 defense (12 in expert)
25% KBR (50% in expert)
Use spider AI
Inflict poison on contact

Spine attack
Shoots out 45-71(75-123 in expert) spines in a spread that deal 23 damage (46 in expert) and have a 50% chance (100% in expert) to inflict the poison debuff. Spines are destroyed upon contact with a solid block.

Pound
Pounds the ground around him, destroying blocks and dealing upwards of 100 (200 in expert) damage writhin a 25 block radius. This attack has an obvious windup. Destroys only blocks that can be destroyed with bombs.

Web shot
Shoots a large web at the player. Upon impact with a solid block or entity, it creates an 8x8 circle of cobwebs. (12x12 in expert)

Drops

Spider scales 25-45 (30-60 in expert)
100% drop chance
Crafting material

Tarantula blade
Large broadsword that deals 35 melee damage. Inflicts the poisoned debuff.
20% drop chance

Recluse bow
Bow that deals 29 ranged damage. Turns all arrows into poisoned arrows.
20% drop chance

Fang wand
Magic weapon that shoots a large fang dealing 25 magic damage and inflicts the poisoned debuff. Uses 8 mana.
20% drop chance

Webflinger
Shoots out a gob of webs that deal 17 throwing damage. They inflict the webbed debuff.
20% drop chance

Spider hook
Grappling hook with a range of 27 blocks and 8 hooks. The hook can be used as a weapon and does 15 melee damage.

Gigarachnid mask
Vanity item
14.29% drop chance

Gigarachnid trophy
To be placed on a wall
10% drop chance

Spider’s blessing expert only
Makes spiders passive unless attacked. 100% drop chance from expert treasure bag.

Crafting

Spider block

1 stone and 1 spider scale at a workbench makes 2. Has an effect of being swarmed with spiders.

Widow’s armor
Helm

Crafted at an anvil with 7 spider scales and 3 stingers. Gives 6 defense.
Mail
Crafted at an anvil with 14 spider scales and 4 stingers. Gives 8 defense.
Leggings
Crafted at an anvil with 10 spider scales. Gives 7 defense.
SET BONUS: Enemies are inflicted with the poisoned debuff upon contact.

Spider walls

One spider block at a workbench makes 4. Has the same use and graphics effect as the block.

Spider bombs

Crafted at a workbench with 5 bombs and one spider scale. Releases a swarm of spiders upon exploding. Destroys blocks in a small radius. Spiders climb walls and walk up one block tall cliffs in search of enemies.

Last edited:
I'm completely opposed to any kind of underground boss that can go through walls, especially a spider. Can't wait for one of these puppies to show up out of nowhere and 2-shot me in a cramped area.

I'm completely opposed to any kind of underground boss that can go through walls, especially a spider. Can't wait for one of these puppies to show up out of nowhere and 2-shot me in a cramped area.
It is meant to be fought in an open area, where enemies would most likely spawn, at the level of queen bee or skeletron. His pound attack is also meant to create a more open area to fight him. I also added an arena clearing tool for when he spawns. I think I fixed your problem.

Last edited:
It is meant to be fought in an open area, where enemies would most likely spawn, at the level of queen bee or skeletron. His pound attack is also meant to create a more open area to fight him. I also added an arena clearing tool for when he spawns. I think I fixed your problem.
That just seals it. No block destroying enemies, ever again.

I like this idea! There are just a few things that I would change though. Maybe it could only spawn while the player is in a spider cave, that way it can't just surprise you out of nowhere. Also, in the spider nest, it could just clear out all of the cobwebs in there instead of destroying a bunch of blocks. Like a queen bee in the Cavern layer. Otherwise though, I definitely support!

Cool idea, but the spawn rates need to be lowered and it needs a manual summon item. Wall Creepers and Black Recluses which means you could get Gugarachnid from waiting in a nest in around a minute. Also, Spider Nests could be open like Granite Biomes so you can have space to avoid her.

Cool idea, but the spawn rates need to be lowered and it needs a manual summon item. Wall Creepers and Black Recluses which means you could get Gugarachnid from waiting in a nest in around a minute. Also, Spider Nests could be open like Granite Biomes so you can have space to avoid her.
Should I make the summon item for hardmode with spider fangs or should I add a pre hardmode material for crafting?

Last edited:
I like it just change the spawn method, keep the weapons close in power to eachother, find an alternative to terrain destruction, remove the hook doing damage, change the spider royal gel, and jeep the creepy down.

I like it just change the spawn method, keep the weapons close in power to eachother, find an alternative to terrain destruction, remove the hook doing damage, change the spider royal gel, and jeep the creepy down.
Thanks for the advice. I need you to expand a bit on what you mean by some of these things. I tried to set the weapons around post queen bee level. Do you want a summon item? I think the hook damage makes it unique and not just some useless pre hardmode hook. Terrain destruction is the only think I can think of and spider think is great at the beginning of hardmode.

The hook doing damage is pretty much useless by hardmode but would destroy before, because it's rapid fire 15 damage and could be used at the same time as weapons.

The hook doing damage is pretty much useless by hardmode but would destroy before, because it's rapid fire 15 damage and could be used at the same time as weapons.
The hook would extend the full distance before retracting, and damage would have a cool down. The dev team would know how to fix it anyways even if it is unbalanced. Most pre hardmode hooks become obsolete anyways.

The hook would extend the full distance before retracting, and damage would have a cool down. The dev team would know how to fix it anyways even if it is unbalanced. Most pre hardmode hooks become obsolete anyways.
It's just you said 8-shot so I imagined something like the web slinger. Also props for suggesting a boss that isn't another "mechanical boss"

Back
Top Bottom