**REPORTED** Guide auto crafts when choosing crafting from menu, with a controller, on PC

arbeD

Empress of Light
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Controller (please specify type)
When asking the Guide about crafting - if you choose "crafting" from his menu, with controller, it will automatically craft an item before you can add an item to see crafting recipe. Item crafted is random, not sure how it chooses which item to craft.

If you choose "crafting" with the mouse it will work as it's supposed to.

HP laptop, running current Windows 10, thru Steam, XBox controller
version: 1.4.1.2
single and multiplayer
expert mode (may do it in other ones, not tested)
classic player

Gosh yeah, I hate that. I've lost track of how many times I've lost gems accidentally crafting colored torches, or getting stuck with random campfires...

One time I had two maces, one with super good traits and the other a blank slate. I planned to turn the blank one into a flaming mace in a minute, but still keep a hold of the Demonic normal mace in case the flaming one wouldn't happen to come with such good damage output. (I was in way early game, didn't have the Goblin Tinkerer yet.)

Well... first I wanted to check recipes for stuff I'd just mined aaaaaannnnnd.... it turned one of my maces into a flaming mace. Guess which one it picked? Yeah, my Demonic. 😑 Turned it into a negative-stat one too (think it was Annoying). So I had to just sigh and turn my other mace into a flaming mace, which was eh ok, but... I lost so much bonus damage. 😭

----
HOW TO DUPLICATE:

It seems to depend on whether or not you had the necessary material/crafting station proximity, to make one of the items. Start a new world, kill a slime or two and chop some wood. Talk to the Guide (using XBox One or XBox 360 controller), and select for crafting recipes. Bam, enjoy the torch you didn't ask for. 😫

It might also factor in how near a compatible crafting recipe your cursor on the menu is when you first open it. If the first method didn't trigger, then scroll up to the top of the recipes until you have the torch recipe highlighted, exit, then re-ask the Guide about Crafting again. Now you'll get your darn torch. Or further down the line, your campfire, your flaming mace, your crafting benches... 😬

This started right at the 1.4 update, at very least by version 1.4.0.4 (I didn't play right away on launch, so I can't say if it was in the earlier iterations or not). I reported it back then, guess it didn't get noticed. I hope it can be fixed soon; it's REALLY annoying to have to lean over and grab my mouse (which does NOT trigger this issue) every time I wanna check recipes.. or if I'm playing on the tv, I literally have to go across the room and bend/kneel over (not fun with disabling back problems) just to check a recipe. 😓

My details:

Version: Steam
Both Single and Multiplayer
Windows 8.1
Terraria Version 1.4.1.2 (though the bug started far earlier, first noticed by me in 1.4.0.4 though it may have started sooner.)
Controller: XBox 360
Playing Settings: Classic, Expert Difficulty.

Last edited:
this issue has been here for since 1.3.5.7, but its not just the guide. its also when you have a treasure chest with a equipable in the first slot. it will automatically equip it, which is dumb.

I've also pointed this issue out with a 2 small videos and 2 pictures to show how the problem happens and to show my controller (Xbox 360)bindings setup. my X button would be set to "interact" and my menu X button would be set to "grapple". i believe it has to do something with the game "double pressing" the same button twice and i don't even remotely understand why this happens.

imma post my thread about this here so i don't repost such large video/pictures.

This is a known and reported issue, but not one we were able to fix for any of the previous hotfixes. Depending on our upcoming hotfix schedule, it may or may not be fixed in the future.

This is a known and reported issue, but not one we were able to fix for any of the previous hotfixes. Depending on our upcoming hotfix schedule, it may or may not be fixed in the future.
I wonder if it could have to do with how several other button presses on the controller seem to be multiplied by the game. Just in case this can add clues on how to fix it, I'll re-bring up the following issues:

-(Known issue) Using a pylon with the Interact button. Despite only using one quick press of the B button (my Interact bind) will result in the map screen strobing RAPIDLY on and off multiple times times (complete with stuttering sound-effect). Very often resulting in leaving the player without the map screen on after a moment of anxious confusion (and possibly epileptic complications). Followed by annoyance and frustration by trying again and again, often needing upward of 5 attempts before the rapid strobing finally happens to stop with the map onscreen instead of off.

Using the Start button to open the map while standing next to the pylon does NOT result in this problem, and ends up being a less frustrating method, though it's not second-nature to many players.

-Wearing the Shield of Cthulhu and just changing direction with the left joystick (example: facing or walking left, then turning or walking right) counting as a double-tap in one direction. I've lost count of how many times this awesomely valuable item has gotten me killed by unintentionally triggering the dashing feature. Causing me to plunge into pits, lava, or hordes of enemies. This has rendered the item practically unusable in risky situations. :(

----
In the case of the Guide menu bug, if the game tries to load the condition of the menu as one thing (normal crafting menu) then trying to convert it to another but being too late by an instant (Guide menu), maybe that'd be a possible cause? (I don't know anything lol so just a shot in the dark)

Maybe some or all of these problems I listed could also have to do with frames used to check for button-presses being different for certain controller aspects?

Just throwing these out there in case they'd lead to a super unlikely "eureka" moment... 😅

Back
Top Bottom