[Guide] How to build a Hoiktronics-Based Teleporter Hub (updated version)

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
If you are constructing a world with a lot of destinations of interest, you might want to consider building a teleporter hub that connects to all those destinations by teleporter. I present a hub that uses a single teleporter to ultimately connect to as many destinations as you want - all that is required is the input of an alphanumeric key corresponding to the desired destination, and those keys can be conveniently listed in a directory (wooden sign). The video explains how teleporter hubs function, and the schematics of the featured hubs are presented below.

Video:

In the video I showcase my previous teleporter hub and the updated teleporter hub. The updated hub is superior because it is far more compact and avoids all up hoiks, which sometimes cause the player to stall when returning to the hub.

Updated Teleport Hub:

6KB5YBx.jpg

Wiring:

6AYlxTO.jpg

When connecting teleporters in the hub to teleporters at the desired destinations, you might have to resort to a by-pass system if there are wires of the same color in the way. Here's a way of creating a by-pass (Teleporter A is a hub teleporter, teleporter B is the destination teleporter, and the three vertical wires of all three colors represent wires we're trying to by-pass):

43h9FYa.jpg

uIyoxPE.jpg

Older version of the Teleport Hub:

9BkJBSk.jpg

Schematic:

mrJJ25K.jpg

Wiring:

U0BFo70.jpg

Tutorial World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBdDZSc2VOVEwtQTg/view?usp=sharing

Credits:

Danke for helping compress the original Teleport Hub:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...eport-hub-for-a-large-world.8406/#post-242551

ZeroGravitas for his version of the reset mechanism adapted for other functions:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/project-hoiktronics-reset-mechanisms.7773/#post-224001

Last edited:
YESSS!!! *dances*

I finished watching the video, and am disappointed (in myself) at how easy it was to understand. ;(Have you made a vertical version of the wire jump? Guess it couldn't be too hard...

Last edited:
Quick question - is the file download from google drive working fine?

YESSS!!! *dances*

I finished watching the video, and am disappointed (in myself) at how easy it was to understand. ;(Have you made a vertical version of the wire jump? Guess it couldn't be too hard...

Yeah the logic is relatively straightforward - even easier with the updated hub :).

I think the vertical jump isn't really needed since you can vertically reorient any horizontal wires you need to jump.

I really wish that the pictures would work for me ;(

Are you on mobile?

Now all I need is one with uphoiks only since mobile doesn't have downhoiks...

Oh! What about adding a hub for NPCs that connects to the normal teleporter hub? That way you can send especific NPCs to specific places without switching its home or using the random summoning statues (king/queen). This would make it easier to buy location specific items as well as more aesthetic reasons such as protect the NPC events and spectators for a coliseum...

Now all I need is one with uphoiks only since mobile doesn't have downhoiks...

It might be possible. In my original design with criss-crossing hoik tracks the choice of teeth was arbitrary in some cases, and it might be feasible to use up/top hoiks only. For instance, here's a pic I posted elsewhere:

7i0UysN.jpg

WrJuRl6.jpg

I posted those pics to help a mobile user with building a passcode-encoded door on mobile. It shows how you can transition from one horizontal hoik to the next horizontal hoik by actuating a few blocks directly above the top hoik teeth (green wire). The blue wire is connected to hoik teeth that could be de-actuated to allow the player to land on a pressure plate + teleporter immediately below. Maybe this could be a good starting point to see if you can build a working hub on mobile!

Oh! What about adding a hub for NPCs that connects to the normal teleporter hub? That way you can send especific NPCs to specific places without switching its home or using the random summoning statues (king/queen). This would make it easier to buy location specific items as well as more aesthetic reasons such as protect the NPC events and spectators for a coliseum...

Yes, you could totally do this! You can essentially build an all-inclusive vendor machine - you input a code and out pops out the desired NPC :). Every NPC house can be rigged with a hoik track leading to a teleporter that can be funneled into a single hub.

Oooh! That definitely gives me some idea of what to do... Maybe I'll try my hand at it when I get the time.

Final questions.

Teleporter priorities.

If multiple beings can be teleported by a teleporter when it activates,

1) do all of them teleport simultaneously or one at a time?

If one at a time:

2) does the type of being (player, NPC, monster) play part in which gets teleported?

3) does the location of the beings play part in the selection (directly on top the teleporter, two squares above it, to the left side and right side of the teleporter, etc...

Ex:
Both clothier and guide are on top of the teleporter within range of it. One is on the teleporter itself while the guide stands on a platform directly above it. Which one gets teleported?

Ex2: change the guide with a skeleton, which one gets teleported?

If a posible target of teleportation exists on both locations, does one of them get teleported or do both of them switch locations?

If only one gets teleported, what criteria determines which one get teleported?

Oooh! That definitely gives me some idea of what to do... Maybe I'll try my hand at it when I get the time.

Final questions.

Teleporter priorities.

If multiple beings can be teleported by a teleporter when it activates,

1) do all of them teleport simultaneously or one at a time?

They all teleport simultaneously.

If a posible target of teleportation exists on both locations, does one of them get teleported or do both of them switch locations?

Both targets get teleported.

The game seems to treat any teleport target independently from any other target, hence the simultaneous teleporting. It's a bit annoying that it works like this, because it makes it more difficult to accelerate certain hoiktronics machines by introducing more NPCs as signaling agents into those machines.

I do also want to point out that hoiktronics and tracktronics have a lot of things in common, and that the single track approach that I use in the updated teleport hub has a fully analogous tracktronics set-up as discussed in the video posted here:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/guide-showcase-tracktronics-computer.15204/

In the video I demonstrate the single track hoiktronics mechanism and the analogous tracktronics mechanism.

This means that the teleport hub can also be built purely with minecart tracks. Of course this is PC only for the time being, so mobile/console users will have to still work on using up/top hoiks and criss-crossing hoik pathways in building the hub.

OK, for those wishing to build a teleporter hub on console/mobile, here's how it can be done:

bRcrOYv.jpg

4fKUP42.jpg

Even PC users might opt for this approach as well, since it's almost as compact as the other single-track approach presented in the video. There are no issues with return teleportation either (blue wires show a couple of teleporters already hook up to the hub).

It's possible to compress this hub further - the teleporters have 2 tiles of space between them, but that can be decreased to one tile of space. I built it with more space to make the wiring to distant teleporters easier. However if you can make the greater compression work for you, then go for it!

Also, the up hoik turns out to be only one of several ways of dictating which hoik track the player ends up going to. The other way is to make a short track controlled by the A, B, and C levers, which would actuate hoik teeth and cause the player to drop onto the corresponding teleporters that in-turn connect to corresponding rows.

Last edited:
OK, for those wishing to build a teleporter hub on console/mobile, here's how it can be done:

bRcrOYv.jpg

4fKUP42.jpg

Even PC users might opt for this approach as well, since it's almost as compact as the other single-track approach presented in the video. There are no issues with return teleportation either (blue wires show a couple of teleporters already hook up to the hub).
You beat me to it!

You beat me to it!

Yeah I decided to try to put it together since the idea was largely there (based on my previous post) and I actually like this approach better than the approach in the video so I was building it more for myself really :). When 1.3 comes out and I start working on the "true" hardmode world, I'll most likely use this design. It'll probably need more than 30 outgoing teleporters, but that can be easily arranged with extra rows.

Yeah I decided to try to put it together since the idea was largely there (based on my previous post) and I actually like this approach better than the approach in the video so I was building it more for myself really :). When 1.3 comes out and I start working on the "true" hardmode world, I'll most likely use this design. It'll probably need more than 30 outgoing teleporters, but that can be easily arranged with extra rows.
Well, I had an area do your version preset!

bRcrOYv.jpg

4fKUP42.jpg

It's possible to compress this hub further - the teleporters have 2 tiles of space between them, but that can be decreased to one tile of space. I built it with more space to make the wiring to distant teleporters easier. However if you can make the greater compression work for you, then go for it!

Also, the up hoik turns out to be only one of several ways of dictating which hoik track the player ends up going to. The other way is to make a short track controlled by the A, B, and C levers, which would actuate hoik teeth and cause the player to drop onto the corresponding teleporters that in-turn connect to corresponding rows.
Well, thanks for the guide for consoles. I really like this! It works perfectly!

What's interesting is that this design can be used as a reset mechanism on console as well by removing the teleporters below the pressure plates. Previously the single track reset mechanisms relied on pairs of top/bottom hoik teeth whose actuation states would control whether pressure plates downstream would be activated. In this new design, players can be made to activate a pressure plate not by a down hoik tooth, but by shutting off 3 top hoik teeth to cause the player to simply fall down onto the pressure plate. Once activated, the pressure plate would deactuate the three top hoik teeth, which would resume hoiking the player.

Remarkable really how such a simple design concept was overlooked previously, but sometimes progress is achieved by regressing back to simpler approaches instead of seeking out more complex solutions :).

Having a single-track reset mechanism for mobile/console is pretty huge, given that reset tracks have been modified in so many ways to perform other functions. This means for instance a full ALU can now be built on console, since I demonstrated in a prior post how reset tracks can be modified to make all three ALU registers.

Nice work Plerb! I still like the contrast between on and off torches, but the gemstone blocks are pretty good to use as well. So now the hard part begins - connecting the hub teleporters to the various world locations :).

Back
Top Bottom