Biomes & Nature Have More Bosses Show Up in the Background

index.php

One of my favorite little details in Terraria is the Eye of Cthulu showing up in the background, flying through the night sky. It's a fun little easter egg that adds to the nighttime atmosphere, but why is it the only boss that shows up? It would be amazing if other bosses appeared in the background that teased your next fight. Bosses that could be added as background objects include the Eater of Worlds while in the Corruption, the Brain of Cthulu while in the Crimson, the Queen Bee while in the Jungle, the Mechanical Bosses at night in Hardmode, Queen Slime in the Hallow during the day, the Empress of Light in the Hallow at night, and Duke Fishron peaking out of the Ocean in Hardmode. Another detail could be the Moon occasionally phasing Post-Golem with the same effect as Void Dye, hinting that something on the Moon is growing restless.​

Is it really the Eye of Cthulhu or just a regular Demon/Wandering Eye? I couldn't really tell the difference.

IMO it would be annoying if the background enemies look too much like the real bosses, and confusing them with it as if they've spawned.
It would also be foreshadowing a bit too much if every boss is able to peek around in the backgrounds. So I'm not a fan of this.

Is it really the Eye of Cthulhu or just a regular Demon/Wandering Eye? I couldn't really tell the difference.
It's the Eye of Cthulu, the file is labeled Ambience_EOC and the iris has the same coloring. It might look like a Demon Eye because of how far away it is.
IMO it would be annoying if the background enemies look too much like the real bosses, and confusing them with it as if they've spawned.
It would also be foreshadowing a bit too much if every boss is able to peek around in the backgrounds. So I'm not a fan of this.
I don't see how someone could confuse the background boss with the actual boss since it's a lot smaller, the sprite is less saturated, there would be no boss music, and there would be no Health Bar. I can understand your point about them possibly foreshadowing too much. If that's an issue a boss could only show up in the background after you defeat it.

Last edited:
I think it'd be cool if maybe just the minions were in the background, and only after you defeat the boss in the world. You slayed their master, now they just float about. For example, the Fishrons from Duke, the Hungries from the Wall, the flying slimes from the Queen, ect..

A few of the pre-hardmode bosses would be fine to appear in the background, like the Eater of Worlds and Eye of Cthulhu, since you fight them early on. Queen Bee could reappear in the hardmode underground jungle, since you fought you a while ago and are so much stronger since then.

Back
Top Bottom