Portfolio/Multi-Topic Healer/Support class Items

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
There are currently no ways to heal/support your teammates in vanilla, other than the paladin's shield I guess?

There should be more support/healing items. Here are a few I came up with that would be useful for both multiplayer and singleplayer! (note that most of these items should heal npcs too):

ITEMS:
-"Rejuvenator": sprays healing liquid that can heal teammates/npcs (with about the physics of the aqua scepter). This could either be an upgrade to the clentaminator, or there could instead be a "healing solution" used with the clentaminator that does the same thing (but has half the range of other solutions) perhaps crafted with life crystals giving the player a reason to farm them? Edit: Or perhaps life fruits instead to give them a use. Life crystals already have heart lanterns.

-"Medigun": sends out a healing beam that targets the player nearest to your cursor, locking onto them, and heals/boosts regen as long as it is maintained. Will remain locked onto that player until you unclick or they get too far away (even if they are no longer the closest player to your cursor, meaning you dont need to worry about tracking). Has a minimum of 10 Hps, up to 40 Hps out of combat (defined as not taking damage for 10 seconds or so?).

-A staff that locks onto players as described above, but instead boosts defense by 8, represented by a spherical pulsing blue bubble shield.

-A sentry that, when placed, either periodically heals (30 every 1.5 seconds?) or boosts regeneration of nearby players instead of attacking.

-A sentry that, when placed, boosts mana regeneration of nearby players instead of attacking.

-A rally banner "sentry" that boosts the melee speed of nearby players(?)

-A spellbook/Tome that consumes all mana (up to 300) but self-heals 1 hp per mana consumed up to 200 (so with max stars but no arcane accessories), and 2 hp per mana for any over 200 (up to a max of 500 health at 300).

-A spellbook/staff that sends out directional green waves of healing (does not heal user so would only be good for healing NPCs in singleplayer).

-Support Minions that follow players and heal/boost regen or give their summoner minor buffs, keeping in mind that these can be effectively permanent. Edit: in response to anyone worried that these could be used by non-summoner classes, keep in mind you can already do this anyways (using minions for free dps) or two with the buff station. Adding ones that heal, support, or buff INSTEAD would be a fair sidegrade in my opinion and actually would make the choice of which summon to use at any given time more impactful instead of the answer always being "whichever one gives the highest free DPS"

ARMOR:
-The orichalcum armor's set bonus should instead boost healing both self (as a hardmode upgrade to/obtainable version of the crimson armor) and given to teammates by 50%

-A "Guardian of Purity" set as outlined in this post: Guardian of Purity Armor Set. Healer Class build, but I suggest a different set bonus of feedback healing 25% of the healing given to NPCs/Other players.

-The bee armor could also give the player the honey buff when damaged/permanent? (or maybe have the hidden stat of boosting the duration of the honeycomb)

-Nurses outfit could be a functional outfit that gives no defense (or maybe has a set bonus of 1 defense), but boosts healing given to teammates by 25% (NOT SELF which means it would only be useful in multiplayer, unless it were also given a small use like it's set bonus instead slightly boosting natural regeneration, perhaps +1 like the band of regen?)

And Lastly:

May add more as I come up with them. Feedback is also much appreciated.

Last edited:
The big issue is that these healing items can also be applied to yourself. And if it's too useful, especially with many variations that can stack, then you can become pretty much invinbicle.
Which is already nearly possible if it wasn't for the patches they've been doing.

The big issue is that these healing items can also be applied to yourself. And if it's too useful, especially with many variations that can stack, then you can become pretty much invinbicle.
Which is already nearly possible if it wasn't for the patches they've been doing.
In the case of the spellbook I mentioned, you would need to have a mana flower and burn through mana potions in order to be able to use it more than once.

And for the throwable potions, same thing. It might help in a pinch, but would burn through potions very quickly.

Overall I think these items are pretty balanced but let me know if there's any specific combinations I'm not considering.

Last edited:
sceptors would be added as well and make it in single player the class becomes kinda like a regen tank of some sorts

Some of this sounds a bit too OP. I think instead we should get post-plantera lifesteal options for ranger and summoner since Vampire Knives and Spectre Armor exist. It’d be nice for all 4 classes to have some. Maybe a plantera drop that’s a whip themed after man-eaters for summoner?

An experimental healer loadout I've come up with but have never been able to try implements the following:
  • Weapon: Life Drain (damaging enemies heals the wielder directly)
  • Armor: Spectre Armor w/Hood (damaging enemies spawns healing orbs which home in on the teammate with the lowest health)
  • Key Accessories:
    • Frozen Shield (wearer absorbs 25% of teammate's damage while also lowering damage taken at low health)
    • Celestial Cuffs (converts damage taken to mana, while also increasing mana star pickup range)
    • Arcane Flower (increases mana efficiency, auto-uses mana potions when necessary, and decreases enemy aggro)

im going to make this now as a part of my personal mod for my friends anyways this is a great suggestion just i see it being a bit hard to play in single player

Thoughts per idea in the OP:
  • Rejuvenator seems fine but I'd have it use Life Fruit rather than Life Crystals; Life Crystals can be used to craft Heart Lanterns, Life Fruits have no such extra functionality in vanilla.
  • Looks reasonable, can't say how balanced it would be without stats being provided.
  • Looks reasonable.
  • Maybe have placeable buff items for all classes? They should differ in effect from buff station effects though. So maybe the summoner one would give extra minion knockback.
  • Throwable potions seems fine enough, maybe nerf the healing with potion sickness active more?
  • I feel like healing 2 HP per mana point is excessive; with max mana from Mana Crystals alone you'd get 400 HP, meaning you could full-heal in most cases. I think there's 2 possible fixes. The first is to change the ratio to every 2 points of mana healing 1 point of health, which would rebalance it so a full 200 mana would provide the same value as a Healing Potion. The other is to make it so not wearing a mage set worsens the healing considerably. This makes it so classes that aren't actively using their mana to attack don't have a massive battery of health at their disposal.
  • I like this, especially being able to heal NPCs. Would make events far less disruptive to your pylon network.
  • Looks reasonable.
  • I don't get why this applies to Orichalcum, maybe because the other 2 alt-tier hardmode ore armors (Palladium + Titanium) also provide defensive utility? I think the effect as stated might need balance tweaks.
  • Pre-loadouts I'd have an issue with making a player have to wear a specific outfit in their main armor slots for this, now you can switch gear with a ketbind which makes that less of a problem.

Thoughts per idea in the OP:
  • I feel like healing 2 HP per mana point is excessive; with max mana from Mana Crystals alone you'd get 400 HP, meaning you could full-heal in most cases. I think there's 2 possible fixes. The first is to change the ratio to every 2 points of mana healing 1 point of health, which would rebalance it so a full 200 mana would provide the same value as a Healing Potion. The other is to make it so not wearing a mage set worsens the healing considerably. This makes it so classes that aren't actively using their mana to attack don't have a massive battery of health at their disposal.
Good point, I didnt think of that. There certainly needs to be some downside for the other classes. I suppose 200 is still more than reasonable, except... it consumes all your mana. Which, for a mage, is detrimental. Hence why I made it 400. But perhaps both of these problems can be solved at once; it would be 400 only for mage and 200 for everyone else? except then there's the problem as your mentioned of loadouts being able to be switched easily. One could, hypothetically, switch to a mage armor loadout for a split second just to heal, then go back to their melee tank...

As for the nurse thing, thats the point. You would need to use the nurse outfit instead of something else, but it would give players a way to support their teammates. And besides, isn't this bonus better than the nothing it gives now as just a vanity item?

Back
Top Bottom