PC Hitting a brick wall called Moonlord

mastikator

Terrarian
Hello all, I'm a (very) long time player and first time forumer, and I've hit a brick wall. I've checked guides, so many guides, but none of them are helpful.

So here's the thing. I've never beaten Moonlord, so I don't have access to any post-Moonlord loot, I've never (ever) seen a martian probe nor a truffle worm (and I've looked for them, a lot), so I have no access to anything from those categories either.

I've tried several tactics, hiding in a ultra-regen box, still not enough, he kills me faster than I kill him. Run on an asphalt course, nope, he just teleports to me. Trying to fly around him and dodge the attacks, nope the eye laser hits 360 degrees. Cheese or no cheese it's just impossible to beat him. I've tried everything, everything except cheating my inventory and asking for help. I'm not gonna cheat my inventory, I really don't feel like spending hours scavenging for statues so I can build a thing so I can defeat this one boss.
Even teleporting to town doesn't help, he just teleports to my town and murders my nurse!

Is it even possible to defeat him without having already defeated him? I'm starting to suspect "no". I've seen a bunch of guides with people killing him, but they're ALL using post-Moonlord stuff

Reactions: Nev
You need an arena. Blocks stop a LOT of his attacks. The little eye missiles that chase you, the beam, those get stopped by blocks. The large eye projectiles and the little pew-pews do not, however, so you still need SOME space. Just take cover when needed.

Next, you need Nurse AT your arena. She can handle herself, provided she's not constantly in the line of fire. Hit her up every time you swoop for cover.

Third, buffs can't be recommended enough. Ironskin, Rengeration, Heart Lantern, Well fed; those are just the basics! There's a ton you can use, endurance, life force, if you can spare the time, you can amass quite a lineup of power boosts. They always help.

Next, make sure you have the best weapons and armor available. In practice, this generally means Celstial Pillar weapons, but some others can work well too.

Lastly, it helps to know some basic pointers of his pattern. After his tounge hits you (this heals him if you don't destroy the wisps he siphons out) he's going to do his mega laser next, and shortly after that, two basic shots. Take cover a bit after you get licked. All three eyes follow a pattern, repeating the same moves in the same order on a loop.

From there, the only way to do it, is to :red:in' do it. It takes practice and your full attention, but I think that if you can get up to this point, if you can handle Frost Moon, you can pull it off. Moon Lord is the hardest fight in the game for sure, but he can be done.

Good job not crumbling to the pressure and just cheating those sweet loots in, when I solo killed him on expert mode the Shrimpy truffle was a huge part of what made it possible for me, I seriously suggest using hunter potions and searching for a truffle worm to kill the duke for the mount. My loadout consisted of: Full beetle armor (with shell, not scale mail), Warding Frozen Turtle Shell, Warding Celestial shell, Warding fire gauntlet, Warding Ankh shield, and Warding Worm Scarf, (Not available in normal mode, may want to swap out with a warding emblem.) For weapons I used godly Daybreak and Godly Solar Eruption. I made a big pool of water up in the sky using the bottomless bucket from fishing quests to speed up my truffle mount and increase my damage, a few rows of solid block to block out his laser, sort of like the barricades you hide under in space invaders. (Rod of Discord really helps dodging his laser as it allows you to teleport underneath the blocks to protect you from his laser). buffs are a must for this fight, I used Ironskin, Endurance and regeneration potions and food to be well fed.

I know this wasn't very well written but I hope it helps :)

Hmm. When I beat him on normal, I used the vortex beater with chlorophyte bullets, bullet-headed shroomite armor, the shrimpy truffle mount (UFO would also work), and an all-warding set of the master ninja gear, celestial shell, celestial stone, ankh shield, and worm scarf. I also had the stardust dragon+1 thanks to a bewitching table. I beat him with that setup without an arena or buff potions 3 times in a row before crafting my vortex armor. The worm scarf drops from the eater of worlds in expert mode, which I'm sure you could wreck with pillar-level gear. The shrimpy truffle is from expert duke fishron, which.. is certainly tougher, but still very possible with chlorophyte vortex beater or holy phantasm. As for finding a truffle worm, keep in mind they only spawn in areas where enemies can spawn. Having a lifeform analyzer also helps. Finding a martian probe.. it's likely you couldn't find one in 1.3.0.4 in particular, and can probably find one now.

I actually managed to kill it without taking every buff potion (only ironskin and endurance) and without super healing potions. I was at the last sliver of health when my last hit finished him... So intense. Was using warding and menacing accessories, beetle shell armor and solar weapons. Also I had a cover to hide from beams and 4 heart statues with 5 second timer.

If most of your martian probe searching was in 1.3.0.4, try again now, since they fixed a big bug which prevented the probe from spawning while the cultists outside the dungeon were alive. Also, it's more common in space, and only spawns in the outer 1/3rds of the map, same as goblin scouts.

Use lava... hold an Obsidian rose and a star veil and stand in a small pit of lava... you will continuously take 1 pt of damage the entire fight... so you can just stand in one place and pound him. Still takes a while, though... :)

I posted a strategy on reddit a few days back. It may help you:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3cup2i/lactose_free_strategy_for_normal_moon_lord/

I did this on my mage character. I did something similar with my melee character, only without the cosmic car key and with even less manuvering. With the right arena setup, buffs, and defensive accessories, a melee tank character in beetle shell can almost just stand there and face tank Squidface. Solar Eruption helps.

I can't help much, got lucky with the Cosmic Car Key dropping on my second invasion (wasn't able to kill the UFOs on my first), just used that with Vortex Beater and Chlorophyte bullets, Beetle armor (shell), and Charm of Myths, Frozen Turtle Shell, Leaf Wings, Obsidian Shield, and Star Veil all warding, with a few stacks of Greater heal potions on standby. Just flew across the map with the UFO mount shooting behind me, was surprised I actually killed him.

How I do it:

- Melee:
I have a small 'arena', a room, where I'm standing in honey and have a campfire and heartlight nearby.
I'm surrounded by two heart statues who are far enough away from me that I can grab the hearts as I need them, very important.
The top and sides of the room are bricks and they stop the big laser beam, the main nightmare of the fight.
Wearing Beetle Armour and using the Solar Eruption, which can attack through walls.
Accessories are all menacing. Using the cross necklace and charm of myths is important.

The fight itself: I damage the three eyes to the point of breaking. After all three have ample hitpoints left I kill all three of them. This way the floating eyes hardly bother me.
I then use the Solar Eruption on the heart itself and it's done.
I drink a health potion and pick up the hearts whenever needed.

I can time it right and not use buff potions at all, but to make it easier you can ofcourse drink the regular potions beforehand, iron skin, well-fed etc.

- Ranger:
Much, MUCH easier than melee. Get a Cosmic Car Key from the Martians and fly around the Moon Lord while shooting the crap out of it with the Vortex Beater (with chlorophyte bullets if you can't aim) or Phantasm. Ichor ammo is nice. Use buff potions if needed.

If low on health and potion still on a timer, be sure to have a spawn point near the nurse so you can quickly hop over and heal.
If you build her a small house with a platform roof you can just warp in, quickly heal and immediately fly away again through the platform roof.
If her house is too large you might have to walk over to her, which is not ideal since the Moon Lord will be right on your arse.

- Mage:
Pretty much the same as Ranger, just fly around him and shoot with the Nebula Blaze/Nebula Arcanum/Razorblade Typhoon. Pick up the lovely powerups you leave behind because they make you insanely powerful.

- Summoner:
No experience with it, but I bet it's reasonably easy with the Cells from the Stardust Cell Staff automatically chewing the Moon Lord up. The only downside is the ridiculously low armour rating you'll have.

I bet you can fly around the Moon Lord with melee in the same manner, attacking with Daybreak, but I can't aim very well with that thing. ^_^'

Solar Eruption. The best melee weapon in the game, bar none.
Well, some would argue Star Wrath, Meowmere, and Terrarian, but yeah.
Solar Eruption. The damage would be a bit diminished due to the need to reach a particularly long distance though.

Back
Top Bottom