Game Mechanics How about vanity slots for weapons?

Bubzer

Terrarian
This has probably been suggested before, but I would dearly love to see a vanity slot for weapons. I have a particular love of the spider staff and frequently anguish over having to give up my beloved staff for a much higher damage summoning weapon. I would be ecstatic if I could slot my spider staff into a weapon vanity slot, and have my little athletic arachnid allies with me wherever I go!

Anyway, its just a thought.

I’m just going to copy and paste what I said in a similar thread…

At first glance this idea sounds like it could work, but when you start to think about it several issues pop up.

First, what if you are using a large sword like the Breaker Blade but have a small sword like the Falcon Blade as your vanity weapon. Would enemies get hit when it looks like your sword isn’t touching them or would the hit box of the sword become the Falcon Blades? Neither option is ideal. You also might think the sprite of the Falcon Blade could just be enlarged but Re-Logic has shown they don’t want to stretch weapon sprites.

Second, what if you use two weapons with different attack animation like a spear and a sword? The spear replacing the sword could look fine but using a sword as a spear would look weird since their is no long handle on a sword. This problem becomes even worse when you think about weapons with vastly different attacks, like flails and yoyos.

Finally, what if you use weapons from different classes? You could just not allow this but some pairs do make sense. The Terraprisma as a sword, Shadow Flame Knives as throwing knives, or Magic Guns as normal guns could all work. Would Re-Logic allow some of these exceptions, which could cause confusion, or would they just not allow pairs across classes which could make some players angry.

This is all just a really long way of saying that vanity weapons would be a logistical nightmare. Figuring out the coding, making all the animations look good, deciding what weapons can be paired together, and communicating all this info to the player would just be too much work.

Last edited:
I’m just going to copy and paste what I said in a similar thread…

At first glance this idea sounds like it could work, but when you start to think about it several issues pop up.

First, what if you are using a large sword like the Breaker Blade but have a small sword like the Falcon Blade as your vanity weapon. Would enemies get hit when it looks like your sword isn’t touching them or would the hit box of the sword become the Falcon Blades? Neither option is ideal. You also might think the sprite of the Falcon Blade could just be enlarged but Re-Logic has shown they don’t want to stretch weapon sprites.

Second, what if you use two weapons with different attack animation like a spear and a sword? The spear replacing the sword could look fine but using a sword as a spear would look weird since their is no long handle on a sword. This problem becomes even worse when you think about weapons with vastly different attacks, like flails and yoyos.

Finally, what if you use weapons from different classes? You could just not allow this but some pairs do make sense. The Terraprisma as a sword, Shadow Flame Knives as throwing knives, or Magic Guns as normal guns could all work. Would Re-Logic allow some of these exceptions, which could cause confusion, or would they just not allow pairs across classes which could make some players angry.

This is all just a really long of way of saying that vanity weapons would be a logistical nightmare. Figuring out the coding, making all the animations look good, deciding what weapons can be paired together, and communicating all this info to the player would just be too much work.
All valid points. I cannot say what the best solution would be, but I know how I would approach it. To start, I would limit vanity items to weapon class (not type)... so summoner weapons, such as Abigail's Flower, Terraprisma, or Finch Staff would be able to be vanity weapons for other summoner weapons.

Next, I would use the form of the vanity weapon and the stats/abilities of the wielded weapon... so, if you're wielding the Terraprisma, with the Finch Staff as your vanity item, the Finches would exhibit virtually all characteristics (speed, damage, lighting, ability to pass through walls, etc.) of the Terraprisma, with all the art, animation and sounds of the Finch Staff.

I don't know, maybe you're right and its too much work. But, then, the game didn't get a labor-of-love award for no reason.
Anyway, a summoner can dream ;)

All valid points. I cannot say what the best solution would be, but I know how I would approach it. To start, I would limit vanity items to weapon class (not type)... so summoner weapons, such as Abigail's Flower, Terraprisma, or Finch Staff would be able to be vanity weapons for other summoner weapons.

Next, I would use the form of the vanity weapon and the stats/abilities of the wielded weapon... so, if you're wielding the Terraprisma, with the Finch Staff as your vanity item, the Finches would exhibit virtually all characteristics (speed, damage, lighting, ability to pass through walls, etc.) of the Terraprisma, with all the art, animation and sounds of the Finch Staff.

I don't know, maybe you're right and its too much work. But, then, the game didn't get a labor-of-love award for no reason.
Anyway, a summoner can dream ;)
Yeah even with those restrictions it would be too complicated. There would still be issues with different animations, different frame counts, walking minions flying, flying minions walking, minions that shoot projectiles, etc. on top of what I said early.

I do understand where you’re coming from though. It make me very sad when I have to replace my beloved Desert Tiger Staff.%:sigh:

Back
Top Bottom