How do I pass the time between fishing quests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnyxShadow

Terrarian
I made a mistake. I waited until I was done with just about everything else in my world to start fishing quests.

So now its become very tiresome waiting out the time between daily fishing quests so that I can finally get my hands on the components to the cell phone.

Why exactly do we have daily quests on a single player game, anyway?

But back to my point. For anyone else who has gotten themselves in the same situation as I am in what do you do between fishing quests?

Mining for ore or building materials. Exploring a new cavern that's unexplored to find treasure. Grinding enemies in certain biomes for special items I find are good ways to pass the time until the next fishing quest opens up.

While I was farming for my Cell Phone parts, I basically just did little side projects to pass the time.

Fought the Moon Lord and the Pillar events, so I could get a bit of practice for Expert mode attempts. Built a Strange Plant farm in the clouds, wired with actuators and an asphalt path beneath for speedier collection. Fished for the various biome-specific items I was still missing. Used the Bottomless Water Bucket to drain a large portion of my Underworld's lava. Destroy discovered Spider Nest biomes because Terraria's spiders are horrible cretins that should be purged forever. Dig around and explore new pathways. Built extra teleport networks to take me to various fishing and farming spots, while taking advantage of the +20 Wrench range. Lined a few "problem" areas of the Jungle with Chlorophyte ore to "reclaim" it.

... It took me 67 quests to get all three items. There's always something to do :p

You can create new worlds constantly, getting the angler there, and completing the quest. That way, you feel as if you're doing something, and you take less time per quest.

You could also keep resetting the time to midnight using the dedicated server software; that way, you only have to wait 4 minutes inbetween quests in a single world. You do feel as if you're doing nothing during those four minutes, though.

I spend the time raging about how stupid it is to make quests an ingame daily and the sundial only works once a bloody ingame weak (and is therefor useless).

You can create new worlds constantly, getting the angler there, and completing the quest. That way, you feel as if you're doing something, and you take less time per quest.

You could also keep resetting the time to midnight using the dedicated server software; that way, you only have to wait 4 minutes inbetween quests in a single world. You do feel as if you're doing nothing during those four minutes, though.
Unless I've been doing it wrong, this actually does not work anymore. I ended up using Tshock's quest clear command.

I too was annoyed with fishing in 1.2, and had fewer than 30 quests completed. Now I'm at 110+, and not because of the Achievement (those are nice, but they don't motivate me much). I too used to create and then delete new small worlds for the sole purpose of doing Angler quests.

I've always made a habit of catching extra quest fish and storing them in chests in the Angler's house, so that I can instantly complete a quest if I happen to have the quest fish he asks for. This makes for longer fishing sessions, but less back-and-forth. I'm also a collector, so of course I want one of each quest fish.

My best advice is to simply be patient and do the quests bit by bit. The developers designed fishing to reward patience and long hours of playing the game. It can't be rushed, except by creating lots of new worlds, but 1.) the Angler's spawning is still pretty buggy, which takes up more time, and 2.) you won't be getting much else done in the meantime.

Keep all of your fishing gear in a chest close at hand, keep your fishing accessories in your social slots for easy swapping, and build large fishing lakes in convenient locations. Once you have all the gear, good bait, and a good rod, fishing becomes a lot less painful.

I now have a Cell Phone and 2+ of each of the components for Fish Finders, five Zephyr Fish, half a dozen sets of fishing accessories, two Golden Rods, countless Frog Legs, two sundials, stacks of unused crates, and lots of potion ingredient fish. The one and only reward I don't have from fishing is the Hotline Rod.

Is the number of completed angler quests tied to the character or world? That is, do I have to complete quests in the same world for 200 times, or do completed angler quests accumulate across different worlds? I hope it is the latter.

I tried that yesterday. I used midnight command and waited until 4:30, but the quest didn't change. Unless it changed to the same quest!?

Free Blood Moon skipping? Not what I call useless.

There's no way to sleep in terraria. There are beds. But you cant even sleep in them to pass the night or day. Maybe if there was a sleep feature and you couldn't sleep on solar eclipses or blood moons and you have to use the sun dial to avoid them. But only getting one sun dial a week, and the fisherman npc doesn't give you anything worth a damn 9 times out of 10. "Whats that? You already have a fisherman's handbook? Here have another!" Then after 10 fisherman handbooks you really start to think about exiling the fisherman to the ice biome and forgetting the whole thing.

Come to think about it. If i made the cell phone it will just get lost.

Make the Angler a new house. Dunk him every time he misbehaves.

CwYfNJV.png

Is the number of completed angler quests tied to the character or world? That is, do I have to complete quests in the same world for 200 times, or do completed angler quests accumulate across different worlds? I hope it is the latter.

I tried that yesterday. I used midnight command and waited until 4:30, but the quest didn't change. Unless it changed to the same quest!?
If you didn't do the previous day's quest, I'm pretty sure it just changed to the same quest.

Fishing quests are counted on the character doing them, not the world.

Strange plants are always a nice option. Just run around in the jungle chopping down any plant you see (even regular dye plants)
I don't know why but my mental image of this sentence is my person running after plants slicing everything in half violently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom