How minions work?

wirable

Terrarian
i have been trying to figure out how minions work cuz recently i bought the leather whip (i know its bad i wanted to try out) and i don't think so its written on the wiki how to get a minion so i need to get minion(s)

You Summon Minions by using Non-Whip Summon Weapons. Minions attack automatically and stay until you die or leave the world, so you can (and should) use other stuff too while you have Minions. Without anything that increases how many Minions you can have, you can only have one at a time. You might be able to find a Finch Staff in the Giant Trees and Abigail's Flower is an easy one because it grows near Gravestones.

Without giving too many spoilers, if you try Minions and end up liking them, you may want to explore the Underground Tundra.

You Summon Minions by using Non-Whip Summon Weapons. Minions attack automatically and stay until you die or leave the world, so you can (and should) use other stuff too while you have Minions. Without anything that increases how many Minions you can have, you can only have one at a time. You might be able to find a Finch Staff in the Giant Trees and Abigail's Flower is an easy one because it grows near Gravestones.

Without giving too many spoilers, if you try Minions and end up liking them, you may want to explore the Underground Tundra.
so a whip does not summon even after its written it can? or do you need an another weopen

The whips aren't relevant to obtaining of creating a minion. and are more of a primary weapon for summoners instead of idling while the minions do all the work.

so a whip does not summon even after its written it can? or do you need an another weopen
Whips can deal Damage without Minions, but they're not very good without Minions.

It says Summon Damage because there are 4 different types of Damage. Melee, Ranged, Magic, and Summon. Each weapon deals one type of those types of damage and later in the game, (Mostly in Hard Mode,) you'll get stuff that boosts the damage of some those types of damage. For Example, there's Emblems for each type of damage that boost that type of Damage by 15%.

Whips count as Summon Damage because their Tag Damage makes Minions deal more damage and for the sake of giving Summoners a Weapon to use, buy you can still use different types of Weapons with Minions if you want.

Do take note only whips allow minons to crit. its impossible for them to do it otherwise.
I generally use sentries and HM whips (minus fire cracker, cause screw that thing) myself.

Minions are a type of combat method that you summon with Summon weapons called Staves (except for a couple exceptions).

Once summoned, a minion floats/walks around with you passively and attacks enemies of their own accord with no cost or attention needed from you. You can keep fighting or going about your business, using whatever weapons you want. They will not disappear or go away unless you die, leave the game, or desummon them. The damage they deal is Summon damage, and is boosted by Summon Damage stat boosters from Armor or Accessories.

With base stats, you can have 1 minion at a time, but you can increase this Minion Slot number with equipment and temporary buffs. You can mix and match different types of minions, you can just summon a bunch of the same, and there are a few minions that you can spend more than 1 slot on to "power up" instead of having more than one. Abigail, for instance, gets stronger for every slot you spend, but you'll never have more than 1 Abigail.

So how do Whips factor in?

Whips are a hand-weapon that is used actively by the player, dealing Summon damage. In addition to dealing damage directly, they have a system called "Tagging", where hitting an enemy with a whip will temporarily debuff that enemy so that it takes extra damage from Minions. For example, hitting an enemy with a Leather Whip will deal 14 Summon damage, but for the next few seconds, that enemy will take +4 damage from every Minion attack. So if your Minion normally does 5 damage per hit, they will be dealing 9 damage per hit until the tag duration runs out. You can refresh Whip tags by continuing to hit them. On top of that, whipping an enemy will direct the attention of your minions, making them target the most recently whipped enemy. This allows you some control over your otherwise unruly minion targetting.

So in a normal combat scenario, the player (you) would be attacking enemies with whips, while your minions would be running around attacking things, probably the thing you are whipping, and dealing extra damage based on the whip you use.

There are also a different type of minion called Sentries. Sentries are like minions that stay in one spot and attack, like a sort of magical turret. They don't last forever, instead lasting for 10 minutes after you summon them. They use their own capacity counter (Sentry Slots) that doesn't interfere with Minion Slots, but extra Sentry slots are harder to come by, being present on less gear than Minion Slots are. They also deal Summon damage, and also benefit from Whip tagging. You can use Whips, Minions, and Sentries at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom