How to choose a class

the first prism

Eye of Cthulhu
Whilst you are not really limited to what weapons you use early game, you will eventually be forced to choose a class. This will probably happen around the wall of flesh. When you do, you are not actually doing an ultimate decision over which class you are playing as for the rest of the game. Definitely feel free to change though. Here are a few tips on how to pick a class.

1. Experiment
If you have never tried a class before, now is the perfect time. It is recommended that you fight any hardmode boss 4 times : Once with each class. This will immensely help you find out which class is best.

2. Do class playthroughs

As the name suggests, you can only use the weapons from this class throughout the whole game. While this is a rigid style of gameplay, you won't be confused by the sheer amounts of weapons there are to use. However, mage and summonner classes can be hard to start off with. You may want to give the mage a wand of sparking and the summonner a slime staff.

3. Know what accessories will benefit your class

So, you have started the duke fishron fight. You finally get him down to 200 health when he kills you. We've all had that pesky situation. Well, it could be avoided if you just had that ranger emblem. Having an emblem is essential for any class, as it adds 15-19 % damage (depending on modifier). Also, mages will definitely want a mana flower, to keep them using their weapon. Melee characters would benefit from the master ninja gear (post plantera) as it adds a powerful dodging ability. Summonners would find any accessory that boosts the amount of minions helpful. Finally, rangers can use the magic quiver for arrows.

4. Knowing what skills your class needs

If you look at the defence of magic armour against melee, you will find that melee has so much more defence for a reason. Whilst many mages will stay away from the enemy they are fighting, melee will need to get close to the target.
The skills that you need are as follows:
Melee will need to be good at tanking and close combat.
Rangers will need minimap awareness (ability to shoot at bosses off-screen) and aiming.
Mages will need careful selection of weapons and dodging skills.
Summonners are odd: They can use other weapons while their minions are attacking, so you will need to know some skills of other classes. However, their armour is weak so dodging is essential.

5. Knowing when your class is strong in the game.

Early game is incredibly harsh to summoners. No armour, having your only weapon as a stupidly rare drop........... The list goes on. As time goes on, summoners become more powerful. In contrast, throwers become instantly irrelevant after the wall of flesh, since there are no hardmode throwing weapons. Knowing when your class is strongest will utilise its strengths.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Yeah. Classes are needed. I found out the mage/magic class is the best for me. And , i know why beign a summoner is hard. A slime staff is an really rare drop, so i agree. But summoners are not really anything like 'odd', they can also have an piece of any armor. Summoners may need to dodge a lot, unless they have other ways to avoid attacks. There may not be a lot minions, but summoner is still an good class. As you can learn from it. And the last things you said where true.

Yeah. Classes are needed. I found out the mage/magic class is the best for me. And , i know why beign a summoner is hard. A slime staff is an really rare drop, so i agree. But summoners are not really anything like 'odd', they can also have an piece of any armor. Summoners may need to dodge a lot, unless they have other ways to avoid attacks. There may not be a lot minions, but summoner is still an good class. As you can learn from it. And the last things you said where true.
I class summoners as odd because they don't have too much weapon choice- it's slime staff, then imp/hornet , then spider, then pirate etc. Also, they're not too complete.

Well, that's true. But with the right armor you can have a max. Of 11 minions, that can be great for a summoner. But yeah, i agree with it there are not a lot of weapon choices for this class.

Back
Top Bottom