I just cannot defeat Duke Fishron: He needs serious nerfing

On one map I just did make the ground longer and made the mushroom grass grow on the mud. Dunno if it works this way, but Truffle Worms tend to appear more frequently when a longer, flat part of ground is offscreen. I catched like 5 or 10 worms in a pretty short time.

Fishron doesn't need a nerf. He's supossed to be one of the most difficult bosses in the game. I suggest to learn his attacks, so dodging would be easier. Wings and speed boosting stuff will help a lot when dodging. It's also great to use weapons like Vampire Knives that can destroy most of his bubbles. The biggest threat are the Sharknadoes. You need to avoid them and gravitation potions/wings/several platforms will help you.

latest
Dang it thats just what I came here to post...

In all seriousness I would recommend you creating an expert mode world just to fight the EoC because the Shield of Cthulhu is insanely broken in my opinion.
If you dash into Fishron (or any enemy for that matter) whilst he charges you you can just bounce off him, you get a brief invincibility after charging into a foe and in that time period duke charges through you so you're safely on the other side of him without taking any damage. I've easily beaten him without taking any damage by mainly relying on the shield. The dash can also be used to get a quick speed boost which is vital to dodging attacks that come straight out of left field.

Finally you probably should fish even if you dont want to, just get a couple sonar potions. Lifeforce, endurance, wrath and rage potions are invaluable to the latter boss fights of the game.

The ocean isn't that long so I cant make it longer than 100 or so blocks

The length of the ocean itself is not important. The length of the ocean biome is what is important. It extends well beyond where the water is. You see islands in the background and the ocean music plays? You're in the ocean.

It's also fairly simple to change the dimensions of the ocean. Clear out some space and dig through the sand blocks. Boom - bigger ocean. I nearly doubled the length of mine on the side I built my Fishron arena (although I did it for farming ocean monster banners). I lose to him more often than I win so far, but I have won and it's getting better.

The easiest way to beat the Duke is to wait until after you have beaten the Moon Lord. Make a mining cart track that runs from shore out to about the point near the edge of the map where the background stops scrolling. It should be less than 200 blocks long. Any longer than that, and you risk the Duke despawning... which he does way to easily if you get off the screen he is on (even over the ocean). Bash the ends with your hammer so that you will bounce back and forth when riding in the mine cart. You don't need wings or platforms.

The most important potion you need is THORNS... the Duke will fly through you many times... so make sure everytime he hits you, he takes damage from it. Use the dragon (use a summoning potion and the bewitching table to get 3 segments) and the Lunar Portal staff (click it just over the middle of your track before you start). Your minecart will also shoot at the Duke so now you have your thorns, dragon, lunar portal and mining cart all fighting with you. I recommend using vampire knives as your weapon because you will receive constant healing throughout the battle.

Use beetle armor and try to max your defense (everything on warding)... use an ichor potion so your vampire knives drop the Dukes' armor as well Use the fire gauntlet, ankh shield, worm scarf, and star veil to increase your battle stats and reduce any damage you will receive.

That will be enough to beat him on normal... on expert you will need more healing... use a honey block inside a bubble wall somewhere on your track and you will constantly be under the honey buff... put 3 heart statues at each end of your track just above your head hooked to a one second timer... each time you get to the end of the track on either end you will get 3 hearts... use regeneration potions and ironskin potions... and put a sunflower, campfire and heart lamp on each end of the track as well... they also will help quite a bit.

... if you are still having trouble... place a NPC house just above the ocean near the center and have the Druid move in... she will provide an additional 8 points of defense for you and some other benefits as well...

If done correctly, you should be able to fish for the duke, start your cart, and then just concentrate on hitting the duke with your vampire knives. The duke will fly through you many times... and you will fly through those sharknadoes over and over... but you can take it. Have some life potions available just in case, but honestly, you should never drop below 450 health... or 550 if you use the lifeforce potion...

Good luck with it!

~Jim

The easiest way to beat the Duke is to wait until after you have beaten the Moon Lord. Make a mining cart track that runs from shore out to about the point near the edge of the map where the background stops scrolling. It should be less than 200 blocks long. Any longer than that, and you risk the Duke despawning... which he does way to easily if you get off the screen he is on (even over the ocean). Bash the ends with your hammer so that you will bounce back and forth when riding in the mine cart. You don't need wings or platforms.

The most important potion you need is THORNS... the Duke will fly through you many times... so make sure everytime he hits you, he takes damage from it. Use the dragon (use a summoning potion and the bewitching table to get 3 segments) and the Lunar Portal staff (click it just over the middle of your track before you start). Your minecart will also shoot at the Duke so now you have your thorns, dragon, lunar portal and mining cart all fighting with you. I recommend using vampire knives as your weapon because you will receive constant healing throughout the battle.

Use beetle armor and try to max your defense (everything on warding)... use an ichor potion so your vampire knives drop the Dukes' armor as well Use the fire gauntlet, ankh shield, worm scarf, and star veil to increase your battle stats and reduce any damage you will receive.

That will be enough to beat him on normal... on expert you will need more healing... use a honey block inside a bubble wall somewhere on your track and you will constantly be under the honey buff... put 3 heart statues at each end of your track just above your head hooked to a one second timer... each time you get to the end of the track on either end you will get 3 hearts... use regeneration potions and ironskin potions... and put a sunflower, campfire and heart lamp on each end of the track as well... they also will help quite a bit.

... if you are still having trouble... place a NPC house just above the ocean near the center and have the Druid move in... she will provide an additional 8 points of defense for you and some other benefits as well...

If done correctly, you should be able to fish for the duke, start your cart, and then just concentrate on hitting the duke with your vampire knives. The duke will fly through you many times... and you will fly through those sharknadoes over and over... but you can take it. Have some life potions available just in case, but honestly, you should never drop below 450 health... or 550 if you use the lifeforce potion...

Good luck with it!

~Jim
The moon lord is a lot harder to beat than duke fishron, and if you've beaten him then you don't really have any reason to fight the pig/fish/dragon thingy.

Edit: also, after reading your strategy... wouldn't be easier to just try and not get hit?

Last edited:

Good luck with it!

~Jim
Kill a mid-game boss after you've killed the final boss first.
I don't think this is a good plan.

Kill a mid-game boss after you've killed the final boss first.
I don't think this is a good plan.

The Duke is much harder to kill than the Moon Lord... outside of the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon events, the Duke is the third hardest thing to beat in the game...

... just my .02

~Jim

The Duke is much harder to kill than the Moon Lord... outside of the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon events, the Duke is the third hardest thing to beat in the game...

... just my .02

~Jim
I guess everybody has "that one boss", but Duke Fishron goes down real fast if you get Shadowflame Knives and Hallowed/Turtle Armor, along with an asphalt bridge with teleporters.

The Eye of Cthulhu yoyo works wonders as well, but you will have to be close to him to attack.
And if you have killed the Mechs in Expert mode, the Mechanical Cart can replace the asphalt bridge.

... just my .02

~Jim
Huh... I found the duke to be pretty easy to fight, I just dodged him with a UFO mount, swung at him with a laser sword, and healed myself with potions or lifesteal whenever I screwed up.

If there is one thing to be said about Duke Fishron, though, is that the "You can't leave the Ocean" thing is really stupid.
In small worlds, the Ocean is not big enough for you to actually dodge him freely.

If there is one thing to be said about Duke Fishron, though, is that the "You can't leave the Ocean" thing is really stupid.
In small worlds, the Ocean is not big enough for you to actually dodge him freely.

I am not quick enough to dodge anything, so I have to find other ways to win battles... ;)

Also, just letting the Duke leave your screen will make him despawn most of the time. Even if you are both still over the ocean...

Using the right items you could kill duke on the first try without too much stress, for example, I'm using Beetle armor as much as you do with mostly defensive accs, such as Star Veil, Ankh shield, Worm scarf (Since my world is corrupt), Wings, (I'd recommend using the max tier you can get, e.g Ghost, ice, fire, before you can get Duke's wings.) and some attack emblems since got slots left.
As for what I use to fight duke, only one weapon. Possessed Hatchet. you'd most likely would like to stay away from duke, especially on expert mode since he could just $hr3kt you, so use some homing weapon while you're at it, the idea of using Vampire knives ain't bad to recover HP.

And for Truffle worm farm, there are bunch of ways to do it -As someone posted here a way to have both plantera and truffles- then again you can youtube truffle farm and so on.

Best of luck against Duke ze nuke. (If you gonna leave ocean biome.)

The bridge and two teleporters on its edges is a good way to go, but then you'll have to use a ranged weapon. I'm not actually sure if it's efficient for Fishron, i only used that method when i fought Plantera for the first time, but it DOES make dodging easier.
I was in the same boat as you, just couldn't defeat him even after a "hundred" tries. But fails teach you how to actually win. After some tries i learned his pattern, and killed him easily. The only thing i changed was to use a yoyo. The EoC shield also helped me to dodge. After that he dropped the Flairon, which made Fishron farming childsplay.
But if you can't really dodge, there's always the teleporter method.

The moon lord is a lot harder to beat than duke fishron, and if you've beaten him then you don't really have any reason reason to fight the pig/fish/dragon thingy.

Edit: also, after reading your strategy... wouldn't be easier to just try and not get hit?
In Normal Mode, maybe... in Expert Mode, Cute Fishron says "Hi!". No better reason to Expert Mode then the Cute Fishron Mount in my shamelessly biased opinion. :cool:

People including me have made too many posts already about how to beat him. Do a search.
And really: He needs serious nerfing.
Just because you can't beat him doesn't mean he needs to be handicapped for everyone else. Defeating the Duke is extremely doable. Practice.

Ok so update guys: I tried it again today for the fifth time and...
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! GET REKT DUKE FISHRON!!!!!!!!
Sorry just celebrating that I finally figured out how to whoop his :red:.
But unfortunately, I got the bubble gun instead of the flairon or razorblade typhoon. So that means back into the mushroom biome to look for more worms until I get those two items...
But still glad I did it.

Do you feel better for beating him then?

(mage class as example) when i beat fishron the easiest, i use theese stuffs:
-Spectre armor, switches to hood when i get low, all other moments i use mask.
-Wings of whatever kind i have at that moment
-Shield (ankh, Paladins, obsidian, whatever. knockback recistance. period.)
-Emblem. A recent thing ive been starting to do is switch in the charm of myths for a split second when i use a potion. saves my life so much.
-Star veil.
-Mana flower.
-Weapons: Leaf blower, golden shower (if crimson world), and sometimes i throw a magnet sphere at him.

I could possibly switch veil for ninja gear... but i dont usually do it.

Ok so update guys: I tried it again today for the fifth time and...
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! GET REKT DUKE FISHRON!!!!!!!!
Sorry just celebrating that I finally figured out how to whoop his :red:.
But unfortunately, I got the bubble gun instead of the flairon or razorblade typhoon. So that means back into the mushroom biome to look for more worms until I get those two items...
But still glad I did it.
Congrats. What change did you try to take it from impossible fight to doable?

Back
Top Bottom