Mobile iCloud Backup Not Saving All Worlds and Characters

I recently restored my sons game from an iCloud backup and his only character and one of his worlds was not restored. I went to an older backup for the same iPad and the same thing occurred. I began digging around with iExplorer in the backups of three other games on three other ipads and found they're all missing at least one world and one character. We are running the latest version of ios (8.4.1) on both iPad mini 2 and 3. Also running latest version of Terraria (10061). I noticed a post about the last mobile update talking about a bug fix where iCloud backup was backing up extra files, wondering if this issue is related to that fix. Bottom line, if I restore any of my kids iPads from an iCloud backup they will loose characters and worlds. Help!

I am having a similar problem. I did a complete backup to both my Mac via iTunes and also an iCloud backup and my son's characters are not being saved anywhere. The characters work on his old iPad, but I cannot get them transferred over to the new iPad mini I bought him. I've restored the backup to the new iPad mini both ways without any luck. Any help would be appreciated.

At this time, there seems to be no solution for moving or restoring local worlds on iOS devices (iPad, iPhone). To be clear, cloud characters and cloud worlds seem to work as expected. However, this does not help for local worlds or local characters -- unfortunately, there is no way to move a local world to a cloud world, or a local character to a cloud character. There's a workaround for moving the contents of a local world to a cloud world: load up a local character in a local world, fill their inventory with loot, exit, and then use that local character in a cloud world... Dump the loot there, then repeat as desired. Unfortunately, all the work done in the local world is trapped on the device on which it was created.

I've tried several things that do not work:
  • iTunes backup/restore doesn't restore local worlds
  • iCloud backup/restore doesn't restore local worlds
  • File explorer apps do not work on iOS 9
I've corresponded with 505 Games, and they confirmed that the current behavior isn't exactly a bug, but instead "it is simply not a feature yet. We are definitely working to get there, however. I hope this helps you out, and all those dads out there." Hope we get some help on this in a future update.

505 games, Why would you remove the ability to back up local worlds and players? If the local files are not to be part of the icloud/idrive stuff, then why change where you're saving them? All that does is make the local worlds at risk of being lost!!! Why take this stability away? When I contacted mobile support, I was told to start using cloud saves, but all the people on here losing their cloud files makes that sound even riskier! Why isn't the issue of local worlds being backupable/restorable (especially since cloud worlds seem to be unstable) just as important as working on bugs such as slime not behaving correctly?

I would like to make a feature request for local worlds/characters being moved between devices via iCloud/iTunes restore.

Is using Game Center a possibility for moving local worlds?

This is my problem exactly. My 8 yr old is in tears over this. We have a new ipad. Restored from a backup. Every other app / game restores properly over except this.

To make matters worse: while in the middle of moving loot from the old iPad local to new iPad local the character got corrupted. Now we've lost all of his hard earned loot and have no way of bringing the worlds he's worked so hard on to the new iPad. What a cluster.

My 11 year old's characters mysteriously disappeared on his account about a month ago. I'm pretty sure this is the end of Terraria at our household.

This is my problem exactly. My 8 yr old is in tears over this. We have a new ipad. Restored from a backup. Every other app / game restores properly over except this.

To make matters worse: while in the middle of moving loot from the old iPad local to new iPad local the character got corrupted. Now we've lost all of his hard earned loot and have no way of bringing the worlds he's worked so hard on to the new iPad. What a cluster.

My 11 year old's characters mysteriously disappeared on his account about a month ago. I'm pretty sure this is the end of Terraria at our household.
There have been some updates and changes to how the cloud saves work since the previous posts. In June there was an update that allows local saves to be copied to cloud saves, making moving characters and worlds from device A to device B much easier.

Local data (characters and worlds saved on your device locally) do not get backed up and restored. So restoring the data to a new iPad won't restore local characters or worlds from the old iPad. But you can copy local characters over to a cloud character and access that character on a new device. Provided that they are both iOS8+, they both have iCloud Drive turned to On, and they are both signed in to the same iCloud account.

I'm sorry to hear that in the midst of moving loot from the old iPad local to the new iPad local that the character got corrupted. It is hard when it involves the kiddos. I would encourage you to open a support ticket with 505 Games in the hope that there may be an offchance to fix it. Likely not, but might be worth a shot. https://support.505games.com/en/support/home

Additionally, if you have other characters or worlds on the old iPad, here are instructions on how to move them to a cloud save so that they can be opened on the new iPad. Mobile Backup Instructions

Remember that both devices must be iOS8+, they both have iCloud Drive turned to On (Settings>iCloud>iCloud Drive), and they are both signed in to the same iCloud account.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom