If one NPC was a traitor or enemy spy, who would it be and why (be descriptive)?

hamstar

Terrarian
I'll start:
The Wizard. Professes senility, but is arguably too powerful to have gotten himself inescapably kidnapped. Also sells the ingredients of powerful magic, so it's assumed he must have a large supply of weapons available in secret.

I think he's in league with the cultists, and may even be one. Years of worshipping eldritch beings has probably melted his sanity, so maybe some of his "senility" isn't totally an illusion?

Who is your best guess, and why is it the goblin that rips you off with cruel reforge "luck" for every dime you have?

I think it’s be the mechanic, since they’d make the most sense as they may have been left as bait in the Dungeon for you to find and bring to your town. They also sell items necessary for creating a proper execution chamber by themselves.

Last edited:
I think it’s be the mechanic, since they’d make the most sense to be left as bait in the Dungeon for you to find and bring to your town. They also sell items necessary for creating a proper execution chamber by themselves.

Expounding on this idea, then the mechanic is a plant intending to give information to the enemy on how they might defeat the ...abnormally strong player character.

Specifically, as you have been defeating ...odd pagan idols that are likely worshipped by cultists, it would make sense to send the mechanic, someone who seems rather "normal," so she could send information to the cyborg, the creator of the mechanical boss trio.

Of course, after the information is proven to be inadequate to defeat the player character, who has subsequently defeated the mechanical trio, he moves in for more direct observation, perhaps with the intent to eventually mechanize the player character as a replacement for the mechanical trio.

Expounding on this idea, then the mechanic is a plant intending to give information to the enemy on how they might defeat the ...abnormally strong player character.

Specifically, as you have been defeating ...odd pagan idols that are likely worshipped by cultists, it would make sense to send the mechanic, someone who seems rather "normal," so she could send information to the cyborg, the creator of the mechanical boss trio.

Of course, after the information is proven to be inadequate to defeat the player character, who has subsequently defeated the mechanical trio, he moves in for more direct observation, perhaps with the intent to eventually mechanize the player character as a replacement for the mechanical trio.
On a semi-unrelated note, a "mech player" would be an interesting modded boss concept.

There's no indication the cyborg has an association with the mechanic. There might be an association with the steampunker, however...

On a semi-unrelated note, a "mech player" would be an interesting modded boss concept.

There's no indication the cyborg has an association with the mechanic. There might be an association with the steampunker, however...

I am aware there is no canonical association, however, it would make sense if they are both of the same organisation, to act as complete strangers. If they did anything else, then people would naturally question prior history.

That and the cyborg's field of study would be closer in actuality to the mechanic than the steampunker, even if the steampunker offers for sale most of your wire equipment.

...As strange as that may be.

Steampunk...does not use wires. They are fantasy steam mechanics.

I am aware there is no canonical association, however, it would make sense if they are both of the same organisation, to act as complete strangers. If they did anything else, then people would naturally question prior history.

That and the cyborg's field of study would be closer in actuality to the mechanic than the steampunker, even if the steampunker offers for sale most of your wire equipment.

...As strange as that may be.

Steampunk...does not use wires. They are fantasy steam mechanics.
Steampunker is all kinds of weird. Teleportation devices? Biome changing devices? Pretty suspiciously advanced stuff for a Victorian-era machinist...

Steampunker is all kinds of weird. Teleportation devices? Biome changing devices? Pretty suspiciously advanced stuff for a Victorian-era machinist...

In that case, the Terrarian Steampunker is openly destroying her own cover.

Perhaps she is a ditz?

Here's another:
The stylist is another suspicious capture, since she has the means of escaping her predicament carried on her person (her scissors!). More significantly, she's alive! A quick traversal of an average spider cave invariably reveals only the silk-mummified, presumably-desiccated remains of presumably-former spider food, giving not much credence to the idea of survivors existing in their domain. Yet, there she is. What's more, she likes to work with hair; a strand-ful substance of some similar nature to, perhaps, spider strands?

She's a frickin spooder. A transformed being like the zoologist, but in reverse.
Maybe that doesn't necessarily make her an enemy, but it is a deception.

I believe the truffle is an antagonistic force

His requirements to move in being that he lives in a glowing mushroom biome, not even a themed house but an organic setting. That and his distribution of the dark blue solution, leads me to believe that his intent is to expand the mushroom biome as an infective force. Also he IS a mushroom, and thus would spread spores and reproduce to spread his kind further, as is natural instinct to all fungi.

What about travelling merchant?
I mean, he only show up occasionally, and we have no way to actually know what he does when he's not around.
Sure, he sells stuff, some good stuff even, but what merchant doesn't sell stuff? It's just part of the disguise.

What about travelling merchant?
I mean, he only show up occasionally, and we have no way to actually know what he does when he's not around.
Sure, he sells stuff, some good stuff even, but what merchant doesn't sell stuff? It's just part of the disguise.
He disappears to get more stuff. Seems pretty logical to me...

As stupid as this may sound, I'm betting it's the Guide.
Pre-Hardmode, once you've done enough, he convinces you to kill the WoF. And what does this do?
Increase the spread of the Corruption/Crimson, release the murderous Hallow, allow all the highly destructive - sometimes even world-ending - bosses to surface to try to kill the player and the other NPCs.
He has to be with the cultists, why else would he be willing to sacrifice himself to make the world a worse-off place?

As stupid as this may sound, I'm betting it's the Guide.
Pre-Hardmode, once you've done enough, he convinces you to kill the WoF. And what does this do?
Increase the spread of the Corruption/Crimson, release the murderous Hallow, allow all the highly destructive - sometimes even world-ending - bosses to surface to try to kill the player and the other NPCs.
He has to be with the cultists, why else would he be willing to sacrifice himself to make the world a worse-off place?
Makes sense. That assumes there's no consequence to leaving the WoF in the underworld undisturbed indefinitely...

So why don't the other NPCs ever have to leave to restock?
Because either their items don't change enough to warrant it, or the concept of a traveling merchant is the relevant point, and his changing wares are only a side effect.

If there was a consequence, I'm sure it would be nothing compared to "the :red:ing Moon Lord comes to beat the :red: out of y'all".
Well, that happens also after destroying some godly mechanical monsters, murdering a foliage diety, a lizard man mech/artificial life form, disturbing a (maybe harmless) cultist ceremony, killing their leader, and then murdering the beings that arrive in response to all of the above.

Well, that happens also after destroying some godly mechanical monsters, murdering a foliage diety, a lizard man robot mech, disturbing a (maybe harmless) cultist ceremony, killing their leader, and then murdering the beings that arrive in response to all of the above.
You're forgetting that the COrruption/Crimson also get MUCH worse after defeating the WoF.

Because either their items don't change enough to warrant it, or the concept of a traveling merchant is the relevant point, and his changing wares are only a side effect.
But surely the demolitionist has to get his explosives from somewhere, same for the arms dealer with his ammo, etc.

Back
Top Bottom