If one NPC was a traitor or enemy spy, who would it be and why (be descriptive)?

Is it though? The Hallow is just as violent, if not more so.
Only to the player, who is technically responsible for the corruption/crimson bloom.
But surely the demolitionist has to get his explosives from somewhere, same for the arms dealer with his ammo, etc.
Maybe they craft them? Maybe they receive shipments? It's not like there's any guessing what they'll want to be peddling when picking what to ship/supply.

Princess, because perhaps her rule would be wicked and she would believe that we all are still living in the old times when execution and etc were still practiced? (Now that I think about that, it kind of reminds me of the Glitch from Starbound, since their AI all thinks they are still living in the old times since they live in giant castles and etc)

If you don't get what I'm trying to say, this animation from Dorkly will help you understand what I mean.

Princess, because perhaps her rule would be wicked and she would believe that we all are still living in the old times when execution and etc were still practiced? (Now that I think about that, it kind of reminds me of the Glitch from Starbound, since their AI all thinks they are still living in the old times since they live in giant castles and etc)

If you don't get what I'm trying to say, this animation from Dorkly will help you understand what I mean.
I'd rescue a princess like that. :joy:.

Now you're thinking. While the existing princess NPC seems more like she's working up to having a kingdom, there's at least 1 other "princess" NPC that I can only conclude must already have one... and of a more modern sort. She may even have an ambition to match!

Any guesses?

Party Girl? Iunno? Lol. (Also, same xD)

226-2266643_shrug-emote-mlp-rainbow-dash-shrug.png

Not unless you believe the rumor that she's the Queen Slime in disguise, just like the claim of the Guide being Wall of Flesh, and Clothier being Skeletron.
Wasn't it proved that the Guide is the WoF though? I could of sworn. Maybe I watch too much of Anthrex's animations XDDDD

Wasn't it proved that the Guide is the WoF though? I could of sworn. Maybe I watch too much of Anthrex's animations XDDDD
I don't know. The lore is all kinds of whacky at this point.

I have some ideas I might consider for a later incarnation of my Adventure Mode, though.

Steampunker is all kinds of weird. Teleportation devices? Biome changing devices? Pretty suspiciously advanced stuff for a Victorian-era machinist...
Well, Steampunk is a genre about super advanced equipment that looks like it's from when everything was steam powered, hence the name, so things like teleporters and the Clentaminator would fit in with the steampunk genre, which means that this would be equipment the steampunker would have access too.

Well, Steampunk is a genre about super advanced equipment that looks like it's from when everything was steam powered, hence the name, so things like teleporters and the Clentaminator would fit in with the steampunk genre, which means that this would be equipment the steampunker would have access too.
Regardless of whether she's suspicious for having tech far exceeding her genre specification or not, the fact that she has that sort of tech at all is a matter of concern. Also of note is that she appears to cause explosive short circuiting on the cyborg while operating on his wiring at the end of the game. Was that really accidental...?

Last edited:
I'm glad this topic is being discussed, because I had a few criteria that rule certain NPCs out of the "spy" or "double agent running! 🧐 🍵
  1. The NPC cannot be a spy if they require rescuing from bondage, because NPCs in bondage can be killed (the more difficult to rescue, the less likely they are a spy/ double agent).
  2. The NPC cannot sell Weaponry or tools that heavily shift the power dynamic in the Player's favor (i.e. Minishark, Clentaminator, Teleporter etc.).
  3. There are quite a few factions in Terraria, even more defined now in 1.4, meaning, "who an NPC is spying for" can be a bit more complex, because the faction that they work for will decide if they are the Players enemy or not (i.e. an NPC who's a spy for the Princess Faction isn't your enemy etc.).
That being said, the most likely candidate for me has always be The Party Girl NPC. Her items are mostly useless, so far as adventuring is concerned, and she's arguably one of the most likable/ least hated NPCs in the game. She's also the starting NPC in Drunk World, which features both World Evils as a defining feature.

I'd like to assume she's mostly harmless but, if I had to choose a spy amongst the ranks, it'd be her.

I'm glad this topic is being discussed, because I had a few criteria that rule certain NPCs out of the "spy" or "double agent running! 🧐 🍵
  1. The NPC cannot be a spy if they require rescuing from bondage, because NPCs in bondage can be killed (the more difficult to rescue, the less likely they are a spy/ double agent).
But how else do you gain the player's trust? Plus isn't it weird the rescuable NPCs seem to be able to re-appear if ignored in one location, or else respawn endlessly if killed?
  1. The NPC cannot sell Weaponry or tools that heavily shift the power dynamic in the Player's favor (i.e. Minishark, Clentaminator, Teleporter etc.).
Just because an NPC is a possible enemy doesn't mean they invariably want to see you fail. At least, in the short term...
  1. There are quite a few factions in Terraria, even more defined now in 1.4, meaning, "who an NPC is spying for" can be a bit more complex, because the faction that they work for will decide if they are the Players enemy or not (i.e. an NPC who's a spy for the Princess Faction isn't your enemy etc.).
Diplomacy is likely, so it's likely no NPC is fully "trustworthy". I think what you're getting at is asking what the concept of an enemy is. I'd take it to mean anyone who wants to usurp power in the end, which could be done by simply accruing lots of wealth (Nurse or Goblin), by introducing radical technologies to the mix that strategically shift power balance or produce possible hidden side effects (Steampunker, Cyborg), or else anyone looking for a way to empower or give opportunity to known dangerous powers; intentionally or otherwise (Guide as WoF, Clothier as Skeletron, etc.)
That being said, the most likely candidate for me has always be The Party Girl NPC. Her items are mostly useless, so far as adventuring is concerned, and she's arguably one of the most likable/ least hated NPCs in the game. She's also the starting NPC in Drunk World, which features both World Evils as a defining feature.

I'd like to assume she's mostly harmless but, if I had to choose a spy amongst the ranks, it'd be her.
She's clearly the Queen Slime's human avatar. :pslime:

Edit: Bubble blocks are useful for Moon Lord arenas, though.

Back
Top Bottom