Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 7
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I've spent almost 100 hours on a world now, trying to 100% my bestiary for the universal pylon, however, my world spawned without living trees, meaning that it is 100% impossible to get gnomes. I know the world-gen itself is not a bug, however it IS an issue (likely an oversight) when it is impossible to fill in the bestiary, making it a long term bug in the progression.

After there were so many changes in spawning and with the bestiary itself to prevent this issue (i.e. wall creepers can now sometimes spawn in hardmode, and the shelly, salamander, and crawdad fill in as you kill the two chosen for your world, etc), it's obvious that there is not supposed to be an impossible bestiary situation.

While spawning without living trees is a rare situation (In my case, it is a large world), it can still be devastating to a completionist like me when it does happen. Especially since I did not know about gnomes until about 100 hours in...

I think an alternative way to get gnomes in worlds without living trees would fix this problem, even if it's something like a crazy rare spawn outside of the trees. (if any natural dirt background wall worked, for example, just with a much smaller chance of spawning one)

Last edited:
I've spent almost 100 hours on a world now, trying to 100% my bestiary for the universal pylon, however, my world spawned without living trees, meaning that it is 100% impossible to get gnomes. I know the world-gen itself is not a bug, however it IS an issue (likely an oversight) when it is impossible to fill in the bestiary, making it a long term bug in the progression.

After there were so many changes in spawning and with the bestiary itself to prevent this issue (i.e. wall creepers can now sometimes spawn in hardmode, and the shelly, salamander, and crawdad fill in as you kill the two chosen for your world, etc), it's obvious that there is not supposed to be an impossible bestiary situation.

While spawning without living trees is a rare situation (In my case, it is a large world), it can still be devastating to a completionist like me when it does happen. Especially since I did not know about gnomes until about 100 hours in...

I think an alternative way to get gnomes in worlds without living trees would fix this problem, even if it's something like a crazy rare spawn outside of the trees. (if any natural dirt background wall worked, for example, just with a much smaller chance of spawning one)
Gnomes are actually not limited to Living Trees. They can spawn on naturally generated dirt walls around the surface layer (where the surface transitions into underground).

I don't know the exact conditions yet, and I doubt anyone knows them just yet, but I can confirm that I've had gnomes spawn 1/2 a world away from living trees. They seem to spawn most often when I'm in front of an unsafe background wall, but still in the Surface layer, with more unsafe background walls to the sides, and during the day.
An easy way to get them to spawn I think would be to dig a long 3-tall tunnel with the natural background walls in the surface layer, long enough for enemies to spawn to both the left and right of you, and then sit there with a water candle during the day.

From my journey mode AFK experience, Gnome does spawn in the underground (I got 2 banners in about 30 min, and it is far from any living trees)
But I did find one possibly impossible entry: Blue Jellyfish, it doesn't seems to spawn in hardmode besides statues.

Last edited:
Just a few days ago, I've been gnomed in a world that generated without any living trees. They seem to spawn in caves on the surface layer, but have a very small chance to actually appear

I've never seen one, nor has the wiki said anything about this. What are the odds of this happening?
I've gotten at least 7 gnomes on my master large world, and 6 were pre-hardmode. They will spawn in front of natural dirt walls on the surface or underground. I just leveled some hills and spent time such that the dirt walls were in the spawn area.

I've gotten at least 7 gnomes on my master large world, and 6 were pre-hardmode. They will spawn in front of natural dirt walls on the surface or underground. I just leveled some hills and spent time such that the dirt walls were in the spawn area.
Leveled some hills and got the same result.

Excluding 1.4 content, I believe there is a couple of creatures that you no longer get access to in hardmode.

Salamander
Digger

To my knowledge there are no statues for these?

Salamander/Crawdad/Giant Shelly are not pre-Hardmode locked, and account for themselves internally (there is a system in place to account for them).

I believe we gave Giant Worms a chance to spawn in Hardmode, as we did with the vast majority of Pre-HM locked enemies.

The bestiary is good, but it would be great if entries for Crimson/Corruption could be excluded if they can't be found without importing clentaminator solutions from another world.
  • The corrupt biome mimic is Impossible to get in a Crimson world.
  • The martian probe should unlock if you let it escape (after all isn't their purpose to start the Martian Madness).
Beyond that there's just a few entries that become near unobtainable in hardmode:
  • Doctor Bones and Tim (though to be fair, I did see them spawn after waiting a while with a battle potion + water candle).
  • Devourer/Giant worm. pre-hardmode rare monsters that become super rare when Hardmode hits. Maybe defeating their hardmode counterparts could unlock them?
Thanks for listening!

The bestiary is good, but it would be great if entries for Crimson/Corruption could be excluded if they can't be found without importing clentaminator solutions from another world.
There is a way to get Corruption in a Crimson world (and vice versa) without importing items from another world. ;)

The corrupt biome mimic is Impossible to get in a Crimson world.
The Corrupt Mimic can spawn in Underground Corruption areas in a Crimson world. (And vice versa.)

The martian probe should unlock if you let it escape (after all isn't their purpose to start the Martian Madness).
Probes have special handling with Water Candles that make them much more common. They are still rare, but it's easy enough to get another one to spawn.

• The corrupt biome mimic is Impossible to get in a Crimson world.
  • The martian probe should unlock if you let it escape (after all isn't their purpose to start the Martian Madness).
Beyond that there's just a few entries that become near unobtainable in hardmode:
  • Doctor Bones and Tim (though to be fair, I did see them spawn after waiting a while with a battle potion + water candle).
  • Devourer/Giant worm. pre-hardmode rare monsters that become super rare when Hardmode hits. Maybe defeating their hardmode counterparts could unlock them?
Thanks for listening!
I got all the corruption entries in a crimson world without importing anything, just send a dryad in a graveyard, you can buy Seeds from the other evil this way, then plant the seeds in a forest, you will get mushrooms this way. Transform the mushrooms into evil powder, you can already convert few uncorrupted places easily. For the corrupted/hallowed places, use the clentaminator with green solution then you can spread the evil with it. you can also convert sand with the powder to make some thrown water if you don't like to spread with powder.

Thanks Sigma9 thanks Gaelyte for the tips.

The Corrupt Mimic can spawn in Underground Corruption areas in a Crimson world. (And vice versa.)
Hmmm, I didn't know corrupt mimics could spawn in crimson worlds (I tried key of night and waiting for a while in an underground mob farm), though need to wait a bit longer I guess.

Probes have special handling with Water Candles that make them much more common. They are still rare, but it's easy enough to get another one to spawn.

In about 15 hours, I've come across 2 probes (both of which I used for the invasion, I'm a bit reluctant to destroy them on sight due to the usefulness of the loot and the master alien skater pet.

I got all the corruption entries in a crimson world without importing anything, just send a dryad in a graveyard, you can buy Seeds from the other evil this way, then plant the seeds in a forest, you will get mushrooms this way. Transform the mushrooms into evil powder, you can already convert few uncorrupted places easily. For the corrupted/hallowed places, use the clentaminator with green solution then you can spread the evil with it. you can also convert sand with the powder to make some thrown water if you don't like to spread with powder.

Thanks for the tip I did not know you could do that XD (I ended up importing purple solution a few days ago).
Still it would be nice if the bestiary would automatically unlock the recolored versions of a creature you just logged. It's a bit tedious going back and forth with artifical biomes for monsters that function exactly the same. E.g.
  • Giant worm (mostly replaced with Digger on Hardmode).
  • Corrupt/Crimson/Hallow pigron.
  • Sand Sharks: Sand Shark, Bone Biter, Flesh Reaver and Crystal Thresher (a bit frustrating to get given the rarity of sandstorms, mine only lasted 3 minutes).

Thanks again!

Last edited:
And with all that, you had no problem with the halloween skeleton variant ?
I'm playing with spawn*10 in master and it was hard to find them all in a day

Hmmm, I didn't know corrupt mimics could spawn in crimson worlds (I tried key of night and waiting for a while in an underground mob farm), though need to wait a bit longer I guess.
The quote was:
The Corrupt Mimic can spawn in Underground Corruption areas in a Crimson world.
Unless you are using seed 05162020/5162020 then the key of night will only spawn the mimic of the natural world evil, I believe. You'll need to spread some cavern layer Corruption into your Crimson world.

Back
Top Bottom