Is it end of Terraria?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, from what I've seen, |I don't think I'll buy otherworld. It just doesn't seem that good so far, and those new player sprites are terrible. I hope that the staff other than red continue to update terraria for a while, or end up making a terraria 2 not like otherworld, which I believe isn't terraria 2.

I keep on hearing about Otherworld and the main reason for people turning the other head about this game is because of how it looks...Terraria's Graphics in the original is far superior to this one as people say but i disagree...and besides what your looking at is ALPHA...let me say that again ALPHA as in Work-in-progress as in sketching before coloring. not the final look of the game.

Last edited:
I very much dislike the tower defense genre. It seems like a lazy way to make a game.

Here, watch as your thingies shoot these other thingies. All the fun to be had there.

Not all tower defense games are like that. If anything it looks like it's going to be closer to either using summons, or building your own arenas. Plenty of players already have lots of fun with that. Good tower defense games where you are actually involved include Sanctum 1/2, and Dungeon Defenders(although I'm sure there are more).

It doesn't need to be explicitly stated so the simpler minds can grasp that you're defending a beacon for x amount of time or waves of enemies, as shown in footage and news about the game. This is barebones tower defense genre.
The genre of a game is not set by its mechanics, but by the reasons one plays the game for. Terraria Otherworld might or not have one or more elements drawn from tower defense games, but that's not what the game is about, nor what it revolves around of. Terraria Otherworld remains a sandbox RPG because of the sense of adventure, exploration, progression and heroism it will give to the player. So has Terraria.

Dismissing Portal as a :red:ty first person shooter is ridiculous, even though one uses a gun, and plays in first person. Why? Because it is a puzzle game and an adventure game; only a few of its elements and mechanics resemble FPSs, and are simply used as tools to deliver the intended feeling and true purpose of the game. Games are flexible. Though I hate first person shooter games, Portal was amazing, and I wouldn't mind rating it as one of the most genius games ever created (along with its sequel, of course).

There might be turrets in Terraria Otherworld, but it would be ignorant to instantly classify the game as one genre. Even worse is classifying it as one of the bad examples of that genre: not all tower defense games are terrible children games where you stand still and do nothing.
In fact, standing still and doing nothing is not part of a tower defense game; it is merely an element most commonly found in those types of games. They can be oh so much more than that.

This is why I find your comments insulting; you seem to just want to throw Terraria Otherworld in a pile of games that you loathe because of one element present in it. You don't want to believe that a game can be much more than what it seems and than what a few of its mechanics are. You haven't watched real gameplay of a game yet insist, in advance, that it will be horrible.

Please try and understand how games work; why you play them, and why you love or dislike them. You might be impressed.

Last edited:
Yeah, Terraria: Otherworld isn't a tower defence game. Anyone saying that clearly has NO clue whatsoever what a tower defence game actually is. It's idiotically obvious to see what Otherworld is, and it's the various invasion and moon events of Terraria with an actual point to their occurrence and an actual fail state.

People like building bases and arenas and stuff in Terraria, but the problem is that a lot of the time it's functionally pointless to build anything but boxes made out of dirt. The enemies all head for a spawn with the nebulous objective of trying to kill you until you've killed them all for trying.

Otherworld takes the events, adds a MacGuffin that actually has to be defended so it's possible to fail, and expands the selection of enemy hurting stuff available that we can use to aid our defence. If they sack up and add enemies that can destroy blocks to the game, it even suddenly gives a point to finding better, more resilient materials to build the fort around the MacGuffin out of.

There's a wikipedia entry on tower defence games. Try bloody reading it before spouting nonsense. And so help me if some idiot seriously tries to twist the description to fit what's happening in Otherworld, we will truly discover once and for all if it's actually possible to set people on fire by thinking about it really, really hard.

I keep on hearing about Otherworld and the main reason for people turning the other head about this game is because of how it looks...Terraria's Graphics in the original is far superior to this one as people say but i disagree...and besides what your looking at is ALPHA...let me say that again ALPHA as in Work-in-progress as in sketching before coloring. not the final look of the game.

This is true, but judging from how the gameplay looks the only reason I would probably buy it would be to support Re-Logic. Saying this, however, I've only seen alpha views of this game, so it could actually be a great game.

Last edited:
I very much dislike the tower defense genre. It seems like a lazy way to make a game.

It's not lazy, just different. Just like an RTS game, it's more strategy and less twitchy gameplay.

I doubt Otherworld will just be towers doing most of the work for you. I hope it either has a twist to it (the tower weakening/killing things you can't kill) or just helps you out. But meh, we'll see when the game is released. I'm not expecting anything amazing.

'Tower-Defence' can be implemented into different genres of gaming effectively. Sanctum (not Sanctum 2, load of rubbish), a FPS Tower defence game, is proof of this. Then again, I've always seen the tower defence genre as an arcade-y thing, which is not what I get with what I have seen with Otherworld so far.

It's not lazy, just different. Just like an RTS game, it's more strategy and less twitchy gameplay.

I doubt Otherworld will just be towers doing most of the work for you. I hope it either has a twist to it (the tower weakening/killing things you can't kill) or just helps you out. But meh, we'll see when the game is released. I'm not expecting anything amazing.

'Tower-Defence' can be implemented into different genres of gaming effectively. Sanctum (not Sanctum 2, load of rubbish), a FPS Tower defence game, is proof of this. Then again, I've always seen the tower defence genre as an arcade-y thing, which is not what I get with what I have seen with Otherworld so far.
I actually liked Sanctum 2 better. Only thing I wish they would have kept was weapon upgrading with resources.

I actually liked Sanctum 2 better. Only thing I wish they would have kept was weapon upgrading with resources.

Sanctum 2 was more shooter than tower defence, and was way more restrictive than the first game for the latter part. It also utilises a perk/character selection/upgrades system, which for the kind of game it was I found distasteful. That is mainly because if I fail, I don't know whether it's because of improper preparations before the event itself or because I didn't plan effectively. I like the latter and hate the former. In the first game, there was none of it; you had everything in your hands already. Therefore, if you fail, it's because you need to try other strategies/methods rather than grind levels or try out different perk.

But anyway, I'll hold off being off-topic further.

Bluh bluh bluh. Also I'm insulted.

I never said Otherworld would be horrible. I said that I disliked the tower defense genre and that that's what this new game looked like based on evidence provided by the developers.

You may dislike my opinion, and that's fine. But firing back like my opinion is some sort of law is simply willful ignorance and an excuse to get pissy.

And genres of games are not decided by why you're playing them, but the mechanics therein.

You can't call CoD a dating sim, for instance. That's not the genre of the game. Though some might find the company of squealing pre-teens comforting.

I never said Otherworld would be horrible. I said that I disliked the tower defense genre and that that's what this new game looked like based on evidence provided by the developers.

You may dislike my opinion, and that's fine. But firing back like my opinion is some sort of law is simply willful ignorance and an excuse to get pissy.

And genres of games are not decided by why you're playing them, but the mechanics therein.

You can't call CoD a dating sim, for instance. That's not the genre of the game. Though some might find the company of squealing pre-teens comforting.

I never said I felt insulted. I can't be, since at no point you were attacking me. Your statements are insulting to Otherworld's developer team, which, if you like Terraria at all, you will know is amazing and working very hard to make the game as incredible as it can be.

I showed proof that mechanics do not define a genre: In Portal you shoot with a gun, and play in first person, yet no sane person would ever classify it as a first person shooter. Maybe you simply don't know the game Portal too well to be able to judge my words.

A person plays first person shooters to feel empowered, in control, and hardcore. To feel like a hero and a protagonist, that can take on anything in their way.
A person plays puzzle games to feel challenged, to feel smart, to be trained in skill.
A person plays a dating simulator to feel loved.
A person could play Terraria for many different reasons. Progress, discovery, empowerment, atmosphere, creative unleashing. Terraria Otherworld will most probably contain all of those elements as well.

A maze and Sudoku are both puzzle games. Do their mechanics have anything in common, at all? No. Their mechanics do not define their type of game, but rather their purpose and feel. More examples of puzzle games are VVVVV, Portal, Candy Crush Saga, World of Goo, Limbo, Scribblenauts, dominoes, Tetris. Do I need to go on? Are those games not part of the "puzzle" genre? Are their elements similar to each others' in the least?
The only explanation is that all the games mentioned above are puzzle games because of the feel they give to the player, and not how they work or what the player has to do and how. Purpose has prevailed over mechanics. This applies to all genres of games, virtual and not.

I am sorry for treating you as an ignorant. It's just that I have no knowledge of you, other than the opinions and statements that you have given in this thread. Thus, I am trying to make you understand the opposite of those opinions and statements, while directing my words at the individual that this thread has shown to be. That individual doesn't understand the true purpose of games.

Last edited:
I define games based on their overall mechanical traits. IE; Portal would be considered a puzzle game because all you do is solve "puzzles" within the terrain and overall scope of the game. Aesthetic traits, IE; FPS, 2D, 3D, etc would not come into play here.

I'm basing my hypothesis on the fact that the footage seen, and the inquiries about the game have come down to "Hey, this seems a Tower Defense game at its heart." Until I've been shown equivalent evidence as to exactly what the game is aside from defending a beacon, then I can conclude upon an educated assumption, that this will probably stay a core mechanic of the game upon release.

If it turns out Otherworld is a marvelous mish-mash of RPG, Sandbox, RTS, Tower Defense, Adventure, Survival, etc, I will be one happy camper.

I define games based on their overall mechanical traits. IE; Portal would be considered a puzzle game because all you do is solve "puzzles" within the terrain and overall scope of the game. Aesthetic traits, IE; FPS, 2D, 3D, etc would not come into play here.

I'm basing my hypothesis on the fact that the footage seen, and the inquiries about the game have come down to "Hey, this seems a Tower Defense game at its heart." Until I've been shown equivalent evidence as to exactly what the game is aside from defending a beacon, then I can conclude upon an educated assumption, that this will probably stay a core mechanic of the game upon release.

If it turns out Otherworld is a marvelous mish-mash of RPG, Sandbox, RTS, Tower Defense, Adventure, Survival, etc, I will be one happy camper.
Fair enough. It was a good discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom