Is summoner at all viable?

I'm thinking about doing a summoner play through, but I need to know, is it viable for expert mode? Is it even viable for a normal playthrough?

For expert, I think summoner is near impossible, but, for normal, it's a very good challenge. Think about it, all melee/ranged/magic weapons are money sources. And while you're exploring, your minions would do all the work with monsters and then continue your work :)

For expert, I think summoner is near impossible, but, for normal, it's a very good challenge. Think about it, all melee/ranged/magic weapons are money sources. And while you're exploring, your minions would do all the work with monsters and then continue your work :)

Seems interesting, I might give it a try, although maybe a melee play through first.

Your hardest parts are likely going to be Mech Bosses, Skeletron Prime most notably. Both of the primary summon weapons for that tier (Pirate and Spider) are bugged, and neither are ideal for facing fast moving, flying enemies either way. Spider especially will actively hinder you from assisting, as its latch-on mechanic will block out other sources of damage . . . making it a desperate fight to kill the boss before sunrise.

Almost any other part of the game I think can be tough but fair.

Your hardest parts are likely going to be Mech Bosses, Skeletron Prime most notably. Both of the primary summon weapons for that tier (Pirate and Spider) are bugged, and neither are ideal for facing fast moving, flying enemies either way. Spider especially will actively hinder you from assisting, as its latch-on mechanic will block out other sources of damage . . . making it a desperate fight to kill the boss before sunrise.

Almost any other part of the game I think can be tough but fair.

I mean most bosses seem like they are near impossible as a summoner.

I mean most bosses seem like they are near impossible as a summoner.

Certainly not. While this wasn't expert mode, I did a pure summoner run in 1.2.4 (which is to say, I was not allowed to use any weapons at all except Summoning . . . I literally did nothing but dodge and heal all fight long), and was quite successful, barring a few difficult choke points.

If you allow yourself free use of weapons, a summoning class run should be quite capable of most points in the game . . . Summoning is all about kiting and evasion while your minions do the fighting. Time is one of your biggest concerns, and that is only a pressing issue on a few bosses.

Summoner is completely viable in expert mode.

Source - That's what I did in my first expert mode run.

Certainly not. While this wasn't expert mode, I did a pure summoner run in 1.2.4 (which is to say, I was not allowed to use any weapons at all except Summoning . . . I literally did nothing but dodge and heal all fight long), and was quite successful, barring a few difficult choke points.

If you allow yourself free use of weapons, a summoning class run should be quite capable of most points in the game . . . Summoning is all about kiting and evasion while your minions do the fighting. Time is one of your biggest concerns, and that is only a pressing issue on a few bosses.

Well, if that's the case I may give it a go in expert mode, sounds pretty fun to say the least. Also, what exactly is the preferred boss path to take? Should I fight the Queen bee first?
[doublepost=1458567790,1458567698][/doublepost]
Summoner is completely viable in expert mode.

Source - That's what I did in my first expert mode run.

Seems like pre-hardmode is difficult, with only bee armor and hormet, slime, and imo staff to choose from.

Last edited:
Seems like pre-hardmode is difficult, with only bee armor and hormet, slime, and imo staff to choose from.
I'd have to say the hardest part about expert mode summoner was actually beating the queen bee itself. I had to do some progression skipping and I mined hellore in order to get an imp staff to fight her.

I'd have to say the hardest part about expert mode summoner was actually beating the queen bee itself. I had to do some progression skipping and I mined hellore in order to get an imp staff to fight her.

I suppose I'll just progress normaly, until I defeat the Queen bee.

Summoner was never ment to be played as full class, nothing else. Because people would easly abuse it and if summons were strong enough 2 summons (bewitching table) could make every single run easy, but It is possible, and it is fun. About Queen Bee, It's good to make a arena first if you're able to. Few stand points, regen potion, honey all what is good nuff for me at least.

The end-game summoning gear, when built for damage, is the highest dps thing in the game by far but getting there is pretty hard.

I'm thinking about doing a summoner play through, but I need to know, is it viable for expert mode? Is it even viable for a normal playthrough?
You have probably already had plenty of replies to your question, but my two cents is you need to prepare for EVERYTHING. No matter what, as solo summoner you need every advantage you can get due to your armor stat being lower than most melee class helmets. Definitely get warding on EVERY accessory you can, and build arenas and or minecart tracks so you can outrun bosses you cant tank. Mobility and warding modifier are your best friends. All you have to do as a solo summoner is stay alive long enough for your minions to kill the boss. Simple in theory, near damn impossible in practice. I personally like to play summoner exclusively, and as such usually get stuck right about when I reach the wall of flesh. Moat of the time I can get around it after enough tries and careful planning. But never can I handle the mechanical bosses on my own. So Im not sure if this tuened out helpful to anyone, but its just my two cents on expert mode summoner runs.

Summoner requires that you use other damage types. It's the only class that is like this, and you are NOT supposed to use summon weapons by themselves. Because of this, Summoner can actually become even more powerful than pure ranger if you play it correctly.
Class Intent.png

In short, you are supposed to dodge, but you also are meant to keep up the pressure with your own weapons to help your minions along. Don't think it only requires dodging, as enemies will take way too long to die if you do that.
No, mage and ranger have the highest DPS values.(Last Prism & Coin Gun)
Stardust Dragon+Coin Gun would like to know your location.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom