Is this considered cheating?

TrifleSilence

Terrarian
I'm the type of person to do a clean non cheat play through of a game, and I was wondering if making a new world and looting a bunch of chests in it and then hopping back to my main world is kinda like cheating.

What do you think?

World hopping is generally considered not cheating - it's all about what restrictions you want to put on your play through. But since you're new to the game I can see where you may not know what most Terrarians do in the game as far as what's "allowed".

Welcome to Terraria. I can remember my first time playing and I had no clue what I was doing. You'll find lots of great info here in the forums. If you can't find it by browsing, the search function is the way to go. And the wiki is another fantastic resource.
terraria.wiki.gg

I'm the type of person to do a clean non cheat play through of a game, and I was wondering if making a new world and looting a bunch of chests in it and then hopping back to my main world is kinda like cheating.

What do you think?
I once played "legit," but I found servers containing the most powerful weapons available (in version 1.1.2) along with plenty of Heart and Mana Crystals. I resisted the first few times, but the temptation grew so big that I had no other choice. Balance has been broken, but I had loads of fun afterwards.

What do you think?
in general, if you want to enjoy progression the way terraria is meant to be, stay to one world, if you want to experience all possibilities, hop between worlds (since a world can only contain crimson OR corruption at first). other than that its mostly up to your own preferences like @Unit One said. i for my part always keep the characters to 1 world only, building up in a set theme (like submerged world, pumping water until the whole world is covered) and setting world goals like cleansing ALL of the taint (crimson/corruption)

Terraria is a sandbox for your own imagination.

In general I prefer to stick with one character per world. But since the game doesn't make even the slightest attempt to enforce this, I don't see how playing another way could be considered cheating. For the most part I do think one character-one world is the most fun way to play, but even I deviate from that sometimes. There's no one right way to play.

It's a really interesting question, let me ask a few in return:
Are you seeking to get every item in the game?
Or are you planning to exploit the other world? To what extent? Do you want to build a strip mine without messing up you main world? Or use it to make more profits than one world allows?
And most importantly: what of this do you personally think is okay?
Listen to your heart, you're the player, the experiencer, as long as you truthfully don't consider it cheating, it isn't.

I have many worlds I jump to for resource gathering. I don't think I would want to mine tens of thousands of stone blocks and deforest the world I am building my base in :)

My opinion: depends. If your game crashes and you get items back after selling them and you still have your coins, thats ok. Intentionally, no. But this is just a single guy's opinion.

I feel that world-hopping isn't just 'not cheating', but genuinely encouraged. Things like the extreme rarity of pyramids make me feel this way. It's true: there's no 'wrong way' to play the game. The player makes their own experience. For my playthroughs, I usually follow these rules: Any number of worlds may be played, but characters may only visit worlds made after that character is made, and must always stick to either Expert or normal worlds. My girlfriend does something different, keeping a small set of 'farm worlds' which she allows herself access to after certain points in progression. Overall, if something IS considered an exploit by developers, they've always been quick to patch it. So, if you can do something and you want to, do it.

If you want a suggestion while you're still learning the game, though, I'd recommend this: Make a world with a purple evil area (corruption) and a red evil area (crimson), and just go to those two until you know the game well enough to be able to judge for yourself what is a good enough challenge for you.

I would personally not do this, as I'd consider it cheating, however, there are times when using another world is necessary to get certain items from places like the "Evil Biomes", or from rare structures that have a loot table unique to them, such as Sword Shrines and Pyramids.

Overall, I believe it should be considered cheating. Though it can be disappointing when your world lacks a certain resource, it is what makes every new playthrough new and interesting, instead of having the same things in every world.

Back
Top Bottom