Item Hoiks! - [Guide + Video] Move & Seperate Drops, Trawl Fallen Stars and More...

Can you elaborate on this further? Do you mean that in a large world items get hoiked automatically similar to how falling stars are hoiked?
In medium and small worlds, if you ever try using a 1 block high item hoik, yo'll notice they get stuck between the 'teeth,' but in a large world, that doesn't seem to happen. Its automatic.

For whatever reason, 1 block high item hoiks only seem to work in large worlds. Medium and small, as i've tested, the hoiks clog up and are not as efficient. In my item hoik bird engine, i was able to make it go faster in a SMALL world, but large is the way to go if you wish to have it automated without a bird engine.

So to answer your question, yes. though I personally havn't tried the star hoik.

In medium and small worlds, if you ever try using a 1 block high item hoik, yo'll notice they get stuck between the 'teeth,' but in a large world, that doesn't seem to happen. Its automatic.

Hmm, curious. I see in ZeroGravitas' video that the hearts need multiple clicking to hoik them, but I get uninterrupted movement on a medium world (I'm working on some ideas involving item hoiking). It seems to me that it's not the world size, but something else that's causing this interruption in movement. Not sure what at the moment. I've only tested hearts though, not other size 1 items.

Hmm, curious. I see in ZeroGravitas' video that the hearts need multiple clicking to hoik them, but I get uninterrupted movement on a medium world (I'm working on some ideas involving item hoiking). It seems to me that it's not the world size, but something else that's causing this interruption in movement. Not sure what at the moment. I've only tested hearts though, not other size 1 items.
Well, I've attempted to use many kinds of 1 block high items in item hoiks, and it seems to work the best and quickest to get to. Its definitely a good option if you need/want to test/use item hoiks in a large world.

Large seems better. I'm not sure why. But its a good reference point for now. for me, medium and small worlds don't produce the results that the large one does. all three of the worlds I generated and tested are brand new, nothing altered besides the small area that I used to make the item hoik tests. 1 NPC (guide) thats it.

Not sure how that is working in medium for you. I'm using the Gameiki Mod, but that shouldn't effect Hoiks.

I wonder if testing hoiks at different elevations can produce different results. You might want to take a look at that.

Small and Medium worlds, when using an item hoiks within them, require multiple clicks of the switch to get the items to move, but mysteriously, LARGE WORLDS MAKE ITEM HOIKS AUTOMATIC. :D
Great work Pred!
Can you elaborate on this further?

This relates to Critcodedtuna's finding (which he posted on my reddit thread) that he could hoik size 1 items to the right in a single, long run. But I couldn't duplicate his findings, and he couldn't either in a second world. So this may explain why. Weird.
ImmaterialFlawlessIrishdraughthorse.gif

[Critcodedtuna's gif, I hope he doesn't mind me posting...]

Great work Pred!

This relates to Critcodedtuna's finding (which he posted on my reddit thread) that he could hoik size 1 items to the right in a single, long run. But I couldn't duplicate his findings, and he couldn't either in a second world. So this may explain why. Weird.
ImmaterialFlawlessIrishdraughthorse.gif

[Critcodedtuna's gif, I hope he doesn't mind me posting...]

Huh, strange. I'll make a map download available later that has a heart hoik in a medium world that transports hearts without interruption. I'll have to check if I can make that work in my other worlds too - haven't had that much time to do more experimenting, but I'll do more when I return from work later today.

So I have made a startling discovery about item hoiks and the worlds they occupy. Small and Medium worlds, when using an item hoiks within them, require multiple clicks of the switch to get the items to move, but mysteriously, LARGE WORLDS MAKE ITEM HOIKS AUTOMATIC. :D

I'd been puzzling over this for the last couple days, and couldn't figure out what was going on. I'd built a hoik to collect drops in my experimental mob farm, and was surprised to find that the small items would zip over to me, despite not seeing anything quite like that in the demo. I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the extensive wiring I had, but that didn't quite add up. I did a test on a small world, and I could only step the small items 3-4 blocks at a time. After being pointed to your comment, I created a new world, copied in the test from the small world, and it worked like a charm. I copied over the device from my other world and it works fine too. I was skeptical at first, but I'm sold that this is a "feature" that only works on large worlds, with no other apparent factors.

Now for the big question . . . why? :confused:

I'd been puzzling over this for the last couple days, and couldn't figure out what was going on. I'd built a hoik to collect drops in my experimental mob farm, and was surprised to find that the small items would zip over to me, despite not seeing anything quite like that in the demo. I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the extensive wiring I had, but that didn't quite add up. I did a test on a small world, and I could only step the small items 3-4 blocks at a time. After being pointed to your comment, I created a new world, copied in the test from the small world, and it worked like a charm. I copied over the device from my other world and it works fine too. I was skeptical at first, but I'm sold that this is a "feature" that only works on large worlds, with no other apparent factors.

Now for the big question . . . why? :confused:
I'm glad you took it to thought and tested it out. now that its confirmed by another person besides me, things are looking even better.

As for (possible) explanations, Large worlds take more power and ticks to run so the game doesn't lag or bog down in game play. This might be the very reason that 1 block high Hoiks work, but i'm still unsure myself.

Another thought is to try item hoiks at different elevations and in different world sizes to see if something interesting happens there too. I myself will being doing this on all three world sizes and at different elevations. Good luck to you!

Unfortunately, The elevation tests came back inconclusive... I've tested the three main elevations that have the music change, all of them no change in small, medium, or large worlds. No differences in using Item Hoiks at these elevations in the game.

The elevations are: Surface, Underground (brown to grey-ish background colors), Underworld.

The only thing that works so far for Items Hoiks that I've tested is Large worlds. I'm still unsure as to how it does this, but it does, and I'm happy Item Hoiks work in large worlds.

Need more ideas for testing please!

Well, I've given this a go at various locations around a large map, and my best current hypothesis is that success is related to horizontal (X) position (TEdit co-ordinates). It mostly doesn't work through the ranges found on a small map, but does a little way after 4200 (rightwards). Also stops working at the left and right edges (mostly).

The bottom left corner of the map has the weirdest results, where it half works, mostly, then works entirely for 2 of 3 objects, and is generally patchy. So, unless one of you guys nails a better theory, I think I'll just end up saying it's unreliable...

Well, I've given this a go at various locations around a large map, and my best current hypothesis is that success is related to horizontal (X) position (TEdit co-ordinates). It mostly doesn't work through the ranges found on a small map, but does a little way after 4200 (rightwards). Also stops working at the left and right edges (mostly).

The bottom left corner of the map has the weirdest results, where it half works, mostly, then works entirely for 2 of 3 objects, and is generally patchy. So, unless one of you guys nails a better theory, I think I'll just end up saying it's unreliable...
So what your saying is even on a large map its sketchy at best. I only test three elevations, all of them random, but generally along the same distance (short, like 3x7 big.) and its wierd that they all worked perfectly for me. no glitches at all for the items. any size.

That kind of sucks... i was optimistic... coins and a few other 1 block high items are very important to Terrarians... to hear this will be unreliable is really going to dampen things. But at least we tried.

So what your saying is even on a large map its sketchy at best.
Well, not quite. There's lots of places where it seems to work reliably and repeatedly. And there's places it doesn't ever seem to work. But then there's places halfway in between. And it'd take a lot of trial and error testing to pin down these regions precisely, the way I was doing it. Ideally someone who reads the code well would work with us to give insights, but even then I'm not sure we could be 100% confident of specifying the locations.

Well, not quite. There's lots of places where it seems to work reliably and repeatedly. And there's places it doesn't ever seem to work. But then there's places halfway in between. And it'd take a lot of trial and error testing to pin down these regions precisely, the way I was doing it. Ideally someone who reads the code well would work with us to give insights, but even then I'm not sure we could be 100% confident of specifying the locations.
Sounds like more testing is in order. One block at a time, maybe. *shivers* I don't like that idea, but if someone who knows the code could come around and help would be awesome.

I have not come up with anything so far after more testing, and I would like to hear how progress is going for others in terms of Item Hoiks/ Hoiks in general.

I have not come up with anything so far after more testing, and I would like to hear how progress is going for others in terms of Item Hoiks/ Hoiks in general.

I did a little testing myself. Was able to get the item hoik working in a medium world but only at various positions (away from the edges and more towards the center, and at higher elevations). Didn't see any patterns. At least the next major project I'm working on involving item hoiks can be placed anywhere, so I'm not too concerned about where the item hoik functions on a map.

I did a little testing myself. Was able to get the item hoik working in a medium world but only at various positions (away from the edges and more towards the center, and at higher elevations). Didn't see any patterns. At least the next major project I'm working on involving item hoiks can be placed anywhere, so I'm not too concerned about where the item hoik functions on a map.
Wonderful Job! I can't wait to see what you've come up with! Right now, i'm just relaxing at my desk, not really doing anything important. I'm up for a little gaming if anyone here is up for it.

This is very interesting, nice tutorial, well done.
I hope that redigit doesn't decide that this is "bad farming" or that he removes this glitch at one point, it's one of the best things I've ever seen in terraria.

Can you please tell me where you got the different terraria themes from ? The day and underground theme sound different.

Edit:
sorry for the bump

From the video's description:
Didn't notice that, thanks.

This is a very interesting mechanic. I thought about something similar with heart statues a while back(so that the hearts would spawn and then fall down, bypassing the limit) for frost/pumpkin moon events in SP, but I quickly noticed that it wasn't possible to move items or make them drop down.

Back
Top Bottom