Item Hoiks! - [Guide + Video] Move & Seperate Drops, Trawl Fallen Stars and More...

I think they're patchin' it, cuz it's too OP. No one would use minecarts or teleporters.

Too OP for what specifically? For player movement I've stuck with teleporters to get around because they are easy to set up and they are the fastest and most flexible mode of transportation. Minecarts can also be used at various angles and thus offer way more flexibility than hoiks.

Claiming that hoiks will result in no one using teleporters or minecarts is crazy talk :p.

Is there a way you can show the wiring for the jelly fish hoik?
Yes there is:
It's very hacked together. in theory you don't need to actuate the length of the up hoik, but i had troubles in building it, with them getting stuck, I think. And the bottom statue is triggered off the jellys from the top statue hitting a plate in the lava, which is jsut terribly contrived. Which is part of why it's not a recommended build. And that's about all I have to say on that for now.

Yes there is:
It's very hacked together. in theory you don't need to actuate the length of the up hoik, but i had troubles in building it, with them getting stuck, I think. And the bottom statue is triggered off the jellys from the top statue hitting a plate in the lava, which is jsut terribly contrived. Which is part of why it's not a recommended build. And that's about all I have to say on that for now.
Thank you so much, I have it working off of alternating 1 second timers atm, which works but I know it can be faster. I just actually learned about Hoikatronics yesterday :D

Too OP for what specifically? For player movement I've stuck with teleporters to get around because they are easy to set up and they are the fastest and most flexible mode of transportation. Minecarts can also be used at various angles and thus offer way more flexibility than hoiks.

Claiming that hoiks will result in no one using teleporters or minecarts is crazy talk :p.

Maybe, but they can make something cooler out of that glitch, something like pipes that you can transport items with. That would be way cooler than using a glitch.

Despite their quirky nature and the fact that they are a glitch, few features might make hoiks useless, not even the so desirable pipes or conveyor belts, the pressure plate activated by trap projectiles seems to be the best candidate to replace hoiks, though is useless in situations where player transportation is needed. Regarding the fact that they might get removed, I don't see why would one spend hours over hours to patch something which really doesn't affect anything at the moment, that time could be used for something more productive.

Despite their quirky nature and the fact that they are a glitch, few features might make hoiks useless, not even the so desirable pipes or conveyor belts, the pressure plate activated by trap projectiles seems to be the best candidate to replace hoiks, though is useless in situations where player transportation is needed. Regarding the fact that they might get removed, I don't see why would one spend hours over hours to patch something which really doesn't affect anything at the moment, that time could be used for something more productive.
Red has removed some really stupid things in the past while keeping others(Hallowed/Mythril armor sparkling effect, frostburn+scourge of the corruptor giving off light, goldfish not dropping pirate maps in the ocean biome, meteor heads dropping no goodie bags and nothing in hardmode(I understand the anti key farm, but no banners/ore ?), only a few examples, the last 2 ones aren't too bad but the game got some nonsense from time to time) so I wouldn't be fully sure on that one.

I built a simple jellyfish farm for anyone interested:

b8GuDgs.png

This is how it looks when the switch isn't activated.
x465hwn.png

And this is how it looks with the switch activated.

It works very simple, the jellyfish are spawned from the pressure plate in the water which is activated by a automatic player timer(like the one shown in the video, stand on the 2 stairs, press down twice and then right and you should spawn them at the fastest speed possible(they get destroyed by the lava, if you really want to you could only make the 2 last blocks lava, because the jellyfish roll for a bit and get outside the 12 block range which allows 5 ? Jellyfish on screen at once(I'm not sure if it's 5 but it's more than 3).

You might ask what that special switch is for, it's there to hoik the jellyfish necklaces(so you can sell the necklaces and then collect the glowsticks if the lava isn't deep enough) which works somewhat well(it works if you stop on the left block but you have to walk 1 block to the left if it stops on the right block) and to stop the player hoik. If you have used a afk player hoik you might know how painful it is to exit it, this lever turns off 1 block which stops the hoik so you can simply walk out of it.

Edit: I wanted to put the jellyfish farm part(or at least the images) in a spoiler but that breaks the images for some reason.

Red has removed some really stupid things in the past while keeping others(Hallowed/Mythril armor sparkling effect, frostburn+scourge of the corruptor giving off light, goldfish not dropping pirate maps in the ocean biome, meteor heads dropping no goodie bags and nothing in hardmode(I understand the anti key farm, but no banners/ore ?), only a few examples, the last 2 ones aren't too bad but the game got some nonsense from time to time) so I wouldn't be fully sure on that one.

I built a simple jellyfish farm for anyone interested:

b8GuDgs.png

This is how it looks when the switch isn't activated.
x465hwn.png

And this is how it looks with the switch activated.

It works very simple, the jellyfish are spawned from the pressure plate in the water which is activated by a automatic player timer(like the one shown in the video, stand on the 2 stairs, press down twice and then right and you should spawn them at the fastest speed possible(they get destroyed by the lava, if you really want to you could only make the 2 last blocks lava, because the jellyfish roll for a bit and get outside the 12 block range which allows 5 ? Jellyfish on screen at once(I'm not sure if it's 5 but it's more than 3).

You might ask what that special switch is for, it's there to hoik the jellyfish necklaces(so you can sell the necklaces and then collect the glowsticks if the lava isn't deep enough) which works somewhat well(it works if you stop on the left block but you have to walk 1 block to the left if it stops on the right block) and to stop the player hoik. If you have used a afk player hoik you might know how painful it is to exit it, this lever turns off 1 block which stops the hoik so you can simply walk out of it.

Edit: I wanted to put the jellyfish farm part(or at least the images) in a spoiler but that breaks the images for some reason.
You should also show the wiring :p

@ZeroGravitas How would you down hoik a fallen star? Judging from your demo world, I think that you need a TopLeftUp or BottomLeftUp slant(in TEdit).
Any help please?

TopLeftUp or BottomLeftUp slant(in TEdit)
Yup. One of the upside down slopes. Make sure that the first tooth of the down section is in the lower half of the star with it's upper point in the middle of the star (not at the side). As you can just about make out in the screen shot of my star loop in the top post here. Not sure you'll have much luck starting with a down straight off, usually best to pick up any items (or characters) with a horizontal and feed into the down. A foot height bottom hoik should be a natural choice for this.

Yup. One of the upside down slopes. Make sure that the first tooth of the down section is in the lower half of the star with it's upper point in the middle of the star (not at the side). As you can just about make out in the screen shot of my star loop in the top post here. Not sure you'll have much luck starting with a down straight off, usually best to pick up any items (or characters) with a horizontal and feed into the down. A foot height bottom hoik should be a natural choice for this.
Thanks. I tried a couple combinations(starting with a horizontal hoik to catch fallen stars), but I still don't really understand.
Here's your hoik system:
upload_2015-1-12_20-28-49.png

And here's my thoughts:
upload_2015-1-12_20-30-40.png

Would this work?

Would this work?
No. Affraid not. First off you always need a clear tile gap below a down tooth (or above an up tooth), otherwise you will go sideways. Secondly you were 1 tile out of phase lining up the join (both the bottom hoiks feeding in and the down hoik must have the teeth overlapping the bottom half of the stars, only). Thirdly, remove that one grassy up hoik tooth (to disable the it taking the stars up onto the loop.

TEdit v3.5.14228.27 Hoik_Demo_World.wld 13012015 022328.jpg

This *should* work, but is untested (bed time :sigh:). Having down teeth on both sides accounts for having stars coming in from either side (which isn't necessary on up hoiks). Let us know if this works for you. :)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but apparently a happy accident happened when I was playing around with hoiks. The goal was to make a compact underground farm. Problem was, I didn't know what sort of items to expect so I tasked myself to try and make something to lift up sizes 1-3. Originally, I planned to make separate parts for each size and a strange trial and error later, size 1 vertical was mixed in with size 2. Threw in two size 3 items in there and it was lifted up fine.

This hasn't been rigorously tested with any other items than what is shown on the youtube vid (or takes into account any other technical factors). I did test this in a large and small world so it does work fine for both. Not sure about medium size worlds.

Edit: I have not tried to tweak this to include the breaker blade (dat op size).

Last edited:
size 1 vertical was mixed in with size 2
Great work @jinjoohat , that creation of your's will certainly pick up pretty much all drops! :) However, a clarification: none of the items you showed in the video are size 3. The Terrarblade and Deathsickle just have big sprites, but a size 2 collision box. These are the only Size 3 I've found so far (plus the night's edge, of course):
Size 3 Examples - Very rare, high end weapons. Only dropped (non-crafted) examples are from pumpkin and frost moon events.
index.php
You should find that any size 3 items dropped into your assembly are spat out to the right of the up hoik (as my Night's Edge is here). It should be possible to make a sizes 1-3 up hoik, however, by having a 3 phase actuation, so all items are lifted up 1 tile at a time on up teeth with 2 clear tiles above. Still, this is going to have very few uses since only the North Pole and Horseman's Blade can be dropped by enemies.

Aww, so the Terra Blade and the Death sickle aren't size 3, I should've thought about hit boxes than the actual appearance. Learning process XD

Thank you very much for your reply to this.

Update: Apparently Poison Staff can only go on a size 3 hoik.

Last edited:
I'm trying to reproduce the glowing mushroom farm on mobile, unfortunately, I don't think size 2 items can be hoiked from right to left (the opposite direction is viable as I use in my turtle shell farm).

image.jpg image.jpg

I tested a bunch of other variations for that sort of move, failed dramatically. Apparently you can only move left to right on mobile.

I don't think size 2 items can be hoiked from right to left
Thanks for the info! :)Looks like your hoik build is good for size 2 items. Presumably if the same build works in the other direction then mushrooms are definitely size 2. So we're looking at a similar directionality issue as we have currently have with size 1 items on PC. Once mobile get's upside down sloped blocks we should all be on the same page.
Apparently Poison Staff can only go on a size 3 hoik
Well found, will add to the guide. Thanks.:)

Back
Top Bottom