Game Mechanics Killing the Angler's Livelihood

Support or nah?

• Yeh

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Nah

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Minions, fish for me once every day so that it eats up several days of your waking life!

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

652Graystripe

Plantera
Dude's a prick, amirite?
I know the official 1.3 changelog has been released, but I figured I might as well keep on making suggestions. Who cares if they get implemented or not; that was never the purpose of this board, as far as I know.

So the Angler's quests are a drag.
Angler.png
"Minions, fish for me once every day so that it eats up several days of your waking life!"

I have a bit of a ballsy suggestion here, followed by justification: removing the cooldown on fishing quests. New ones can happen as soon as the fish is given to him, maximum of [number between 3 and 5] per day. He also will not change quests until you're done.

<convincing>
Now with that out of the way, I'll explain the logic here: we shouldn't have to wait this long to get items that are by all regards useless in the main game. I mean, hell, what does he give? Some rods that only help him (the sly bastard), maybe some clothes that help him, that's about it. None of what he gives is in any way gamebreaking (some of the crate loots aside, but I made a suggestion to balance those if you want to dig it up). You don't need any special rod to face Fishron, and the potions unlocked by the Hotline Hook are fairly obscure.
Given the nature of fishing as a sidequest that has almost no impact on gameplay (outside of things like the Bottomless Water Bucket), it really doesn't need to be gated. At all.
</convincing>

Appreciate your listening. I don't want this to devolve like the Pirates did.
Golden_Fishing_Rod.png

Last edited:
Three is fine by me, but I'd like to add to it as well. I think that the angler shouldn't change quests unless you've completed the previous. We've all spent a long time trying to get a fish only for it to change right before we get back at least once right?

Three is fine by me, but I'd like to add to it as well. I think that the angler shouldn't change quests unless you've completed the previous. We've all spent a long time trying to get a fish only for it to change right before we get back at least once right?
Yeah, that should definitely be part of the new rules.
I think hat we should be allowed to complete a couple of Angler Quests every day. Or maybe three. Or five.
Three to five looks safe to me.

This is the best fishing suggestion I have ever seen! Full support! This is coming from someone who really hates fishing.

maybe instead of making the angler part of the main quest, why not keep it the way it is? but wait!!! here is the twist.

Side quests are side quests and are there for fun to add more content to a game, not to add to the main game usually but i can see where u are coming from.
How about instead of adding onto the main quest (story wise, isnt good/ item wise, that will happen any ways in any game with side quests but not always make that big of an impact)

So where am i getting at with this? The angler is purely a side quest guy and doesn't really enhance anything to the main game other than some cool trinkets and shiny what nots. Side quest characters usually make great for side stories and i think the angler would make a perfect additional side story/content that the player could do to gain more content aside from the main quest.

To sum it up, the angler provides a side story along with the side quests to add additional content to the game.

I believe that the angler could provide a nice story leading up to something a bit major.
First let us start our side story. how should it begin?
lets ask our self questions:
-Why was the angler at the beach SLEEPING in the first place?
-Could have something happened to him (other than pure lazyness)?
-Why do you need soo many fish?
-Angler? you are so random! Why am i doing this :( just for junk huh?
(nope: for the "Angler's Story")

so basically how this works is that as you complete the angler's quests, you as the character gain more and more insight and knowledge to the angler's story and
what he is all about and to why he is making you do these quests. This could eventually lead up to a fish themed boss or a big reveal of some sort. A new Aquatic event maybe, where the angler is involved and could possibly play a big roll in the sequence of events.

IDK, may be a few of the quests make you fish for rare fish that can be used to unlock this event or something.

TO SUM EVERYTHING UP:
The angler should not add to the main story because side quests are for side things and side stories (most games have side stories).
He is his own entity that adds onto his own story and the more you fish, the more different quest you get and the more insight you get to
an ACTUAL STORY.

A fishTale of a lonely fisherman :)

Don't you see, though? He's been designed to be the most hatable character in the game, so of COURSE it has to be artifically padded.

Yeah. There's a reason I always set his room to the outermost one so he's always the first to die in an Eclipse. Utterly supported.

This is a good idea, but there's one problem. If he didn't change quests until the current one's done, Fishing runs would be ruined.
*early player fishing "Hey angler! Gimme a quest!" *angler "Catch a demonfish from the underworld, sucker." And then that player has to wait until he's strong enough to survive down there to get any fishing quests done after that.

This is a good idea, but there's one problem. If he didn't change quests until the current one's done, Fishing runs would be ruined.
*early player fishing "Hey angler! Gimme a quest!" *angler "Catch a demonfish from the underworld, sucker." And then that player has to wait until he's strong enough to survive down there to get any fishing quests done after that.
Probably there'd still be some refreshing of quests.

There aren't any quest fish unique to the underworld, demonic hellfish and guide voodoo fish can be caught in caverns for this reason.

Most biomes have their difficulties to fish in, but it's usually possible to get a safe space in PHM simply by means of a barrier, thereby keeping monsters away. The only wallhacking enemies in PHM are the Lava Imps (invalid in this case), Tim (very rare) and Goblin Sorcerers (event exclusive).

Back
Top Bottom