Game Mechanics Limit Maximum Potion Buff's

Eos

Terrarian
a handfull of people run into fight with 10+ buffs and rek the boss
gear shouldnt be raped so much because of the few crunching

Last edited:
So why don't you use 10+ buffs? They won't nerf the bosses if they limit the buffs.

Also, the bosses have already been nerfed hard from their 1.1 days. They haven't gotten harder in response to people using too many buffs.
allot of buffs are quite tedius too make, and lets face it alllota ppl cheat gear in terraria :/
I'm just not a fan of crunching, im fine with others doing it but a game shouldnt require you too

allot of buffs are quite tedius too make, and lets face it alllota ppl cheat gear in terraria :/
I'm just not a fan of crunching, im fine with others doing it but a game shouldnt require you too
I have no idea what you mean by crunching. Grinding?

Anyway, even if people cheat in gear and potions doesn't mean we should limit the max buffs. If you think it's unfair that people can use potions for boss fights, then make some potions! A simple row of pots will give you more than enough herbs. Regeneration and iron skin are some of the most useful potions, requiring a total of 1 mushroom, 2 day bloom, 1 iron ore and 2 bottled water to make both. You shouldn't need much more than that for any boss besides the frost/pumpkin moon.

I have no idea what you mean by crunching. Grinding?

Anyway, even if people cheat in gear and potions doesn't mean we should limit the max buffs. If you think it's unfair that people can use potions for boss fights, then make some potions! A simple row of pots will give you more than enough herbs. Regeneration and iron skin are some of the most useful potions, requiring a total of 1 mushroom, 2 day bloom, 1 iron ore and 2 bottled water to make both. You shouldn't need much more than that for any boss besides the frost/pumpkin moon.
(number crunching) its a term used allot by older gen gamers (grew up playing 1st ed D&D with my bio dad and his friends)
typicaly crunching is refered to the rediculous meta that one guy who does literaly everything and anything to win no matter if its dirty, cheating or time/money consuming

What I would like is a rebalancing of gear/weapons and a cap on number of buff's
the boss's are fine the way they are as well as norm monsters I wouldnt mind the skeletron varients to be a lil slower but w/e
simply put gear keeps getting nerfed (made worse) in response to youtube vids of people with 10+ buff's recking boss's
rather than doing the smart thing and adding a buff cooldown or burn like with hp/mp pots they decided to nerf all popular gear but not so much ranged o.0?
[DOUBLEPOST=1424992184][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wait, are you suggesting to add a limit to potion buffs or nerf the hardmode bosses?
Limit on potion buff's and a re-balance of weapons/armor to make up for potions
the curent system is built around popular people who smashed end game boss's with 10+ potion buff's and so in response they nerfed allot of gear over and over when it was the potions that was the problem

(number crunching) its a term used allot by older gen gamers (grew up playing 1st ed D&D with my bio dad and his friends)
typicaly crunching is refered to the rediculous meta that one guy who does literaly everything and anything to win no matter if its dirty, cheating or time/money consuming

What I would like is a rebalancing of gear/weapons and a cap on number of buff's
the boss's are fine the way they are as well as norm monsters I wouldnt mind the skeletron varients to be a lil slower but w/e
simply put gear keeps getting nerfed (made worse) in response to youtube vids of people with 10+ buff's recking boss's
rather than doing the smart thing and adding a buff cooldown or burn like with hp/mp pots they decided to nerf all popular gear but not so much ranged o.0?
[DOUBLEPOST=1424992184][/DOUBLEPOST]
Limit on potion buff's and a re-balance of weapons/armor to make up for potions
the curent system is built around popular people who smashed end game boss's with 10+ potion buff's and so in response they nerfed allot of gear over and over when it was the potions that was the problem
Um... I think the gear is generally the problem. Did you play terraria when 1.2 first came out and spectre didn't have -40% damage, or when the vamp knives had more lifesteal and damage? It was ridiculous. Potions can only do so much. Iron skin makes you take 4 less damage per hit. Regeneration makes you heal like 1hp/sec. Some of the fish potions like rage and wrath are quite a big boost, but take a lot more effort to craft. In short, if gear gets nerfed, it's because the gear was actually OP, not because the devs saw one video of a guy with end-game gear and 10 buffs wreck a boss.

Solo'ing many hard mode boss's is down right impossible
why is that? because everything's been nerfed to hell over time because a handfull of people run into fight with 10+ buffs and rek the boss
gear shouldnt be raped so much because of the few crunching

Very few items have truly be nerfed to any notable degree, and most of them stood out as being significantly stronger than their "peers" . . . most notably VK and Spectre Armor.

So to say everything has been nerfed to hell does not accurately represent the state of the game, and I assure you that it wasn't the presence of buff potions that contributed towards the decision to nerf the items that were, indeed, nerfed.

The devs train of thought is not "Hey this one dude made a YT video using buffs, lets nerf the gear!"

That train of thought is probably busy falling off a bridge.

And for the record, soloing the HM bosses are not impossible... I manage without too much trouble and generally, my arena consists of a long wooden platform and a few campfires. No potions besides healing/mana.

While the invincibility bug with Titanium armor was good fun, I don't think it should be coming back any time soon.

Of course, if buffs given by armor were considered to be debuffs by the game, and therefore not counting towards the buff max, this bug would be resolved.

Um... I think the gear is generally the problem. Did you play terraria when 1.2 first came out and spectre didn't have -40% damage, or when the vamp knives had more lifesteal and damage? It was ridiculous. Potions can only do so much. Iron skin makes you take 4 less damage per hit. Regeneration makes you heal like 1hp/sec. Some of the fish potions like rage and wrath are quite a big boost, but take a lot more effort to craft. In short, if gear gets nerfed, it's because the gear was actually OP, not because the devs saw one video of a guy with end-game gear and 10 buffs wreck a boss.
ive been playing for a lil over 3 years xD 90% as magic, idk I gues my issue is since hardmode came out magic keeps gettin nerfed yet my brother and friends use mellee and guns and rek/never die
i mean mellee end game has manaless magic :/ srsly wtf?
and guns have multiple types of great ammo like chlorophyte :l
while magic has - mana burn debuff so you HAVE To use mana cuffs, mana
idk its silly to me that when me and my brother do pumpkin moon he can stand still in turtle armor and never die while I have to dodge like a mofo or get cutt down (neither of us use potion buff's) admmitedly this was before the VK nerf but now he just reks with one of the wtf magic spells... i mean swords
tank+dps+range isnt cool :l
also sweet jesus minions need reworked xD

Solo'ing many hard mode boss's is down right impossible
So let me get this right... you're saying the bosses are too tough to solo(most find this not so), so you want to reduce combat power by limiting potion buffs? Exactly how does that work?

If you are having problems with bosses, changing your strategy is usually a part of progress to overcome the boss, and yes, using buff potions is usually involved. Arena, better gear and a different approach also work. I don't see how because you refuse to use buff potions and get wrecked by the bosses, that you should suggest everyone else who utilizes the potion to get punished.

While the invincibility bug with Titanium armor was good fun, I don't think it should be coming back any time soon.

Of course, if buffs given by armor were considered to be debuffs by the game, and therefore not counting towards the buff max, this bug would be resolved.
Nah, All I ask for is Consumable buff's be limited by number

never had a problem getting potions or killing bosses..which popular gear are you thinking of? was it op before the nerf?
I dont like alchemy so for me its tedius and time consuming for a mechanic i dont like xD let alone some of wich required fishing
[DOUBLEPOST=1425039874][/DOUBLEPOST]
So let me get this right... you're saying the bosses are too tough to solo(most find this not so), so you want to reduce combat power by limiting potion buffs? Exactly how does that work?

If you are having problems with bosses, changing your strategy is usually a part of progress to overcome the boss, and yes, using buff potions is usually involved. Arena, better gear and a different approach also work. I don't see how because you refuse to use buff potions and get wrecked by the bosses, that you should suggest everyone else who utilizes the potion to get punished.
I was raging pretty hard xD and yea Ive changed my strategies ALLOT even looking at what allot of other people do, then I tried using 13 potion buff's and rekt every hard mode boss and event
even did infinate pumpkin/frost moon and never died
(use server to do event and type dusk before the night is over and it will go on infinately)
with 13 pots i became an invincible god
admittedly duke fishron got me below half health once...
once

I was raging pretty hard xD and yea Ive changed my strategies ALLOT even looking at what allot of other people do, then I tried using 13 potion buff's and rekt every hard mode boss and event
even did infinate pumpkin/frost moon and never died
(use server to do event and type dusk before the night is over and it will go on infinately)
with 13 pots i became an invincible god
admittedly duke fishron got me below half health once...
once
Err... correct me if I'm wrong, but are you now agreeing with us that limiting the buffs won't be really beneficial and doesn't really make sense especially considering the reason behind it originally is your refusal to use buffs?

Err... correct me if I'm wrong, but are you now agreeing with us that limiting the buffs won't be really beneficial and doesn't really make sense especially considering the reason behind it originally is your refusal to use buffs?
nope still think they need nerfed.
I see alchemy as an added mechanic not something that should be mandatory no matter what your build especially since it ties into farming and fishing xD
I like to build and fight if i wanted to farm and fish i'd boot up my Harvest Moon Friends of mineral Town

It's a choice though. There are plenty of other ways to conquer, and it's not solely through potions.
I want my magic to not suck xD
I gues it all stems to magic getting nerfed a bunch both armor and weapons due to potion buff's yes spectre started out wtf good but was overly nerfed to compensate for the potion buff's
on top of that allot of hard mode spells well their useless, not even good vs generic non event monsters, and on top of that mana burn xD
:red:it guess I quit magic I'll stick to my Frost armor + death sickle
seriously mellee weapons should not have mana free projectiles xD

I don't think Alchemy is a mandatory mechanic . . . when I run Frost/Pumpkin Moon, I always use a Magic build since I find it the strongest class build, and I only use a small number of buffs (Well Fed, Ironskin, and usually Battle Potion).

I wish I knew what your friends are using in Melee that is so much stronger than Magic . . . I love Melee builds, but they can't really stand up to current end-game magic.

Back
Top Bottom