Game Mechanics Location saved on Exiting world

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
As of now, you can leave a world anytime/anywhere and reappear back at world spawn allowing it to be used as a get out of jail free card also negating the need for a potion of return or magic mirror.

If youre in a bad situation, especially in hardcore mode, you can get back to spawn with no downside.

Leaving should never be a game mechanic. Please save player's locations when leaving worlds.

Last edited:
It also serves as a way to get out of a myriad of soft lock scenarios.
I get the impression that you're on a crusade against anything that could possibly be used to give the player a slight advantage. May I ask how come you only play on normal mode, when you clearly care very much about the difficulty of the game?

It also serves as a way to get out of a myriad of soft lock scenarios.
I get the impression that you're on a crusade against anything that could possibly be used to give the player a slight advantage. May I ask how come you only play on normal mode, when you clearly care very much about the difficulty of the game?
Because I haven't tried? Either way, I suggest things that would make the game better/fix things I think are issues, not necessarily caring about whether said changes would make things "harder" or easier.

I think this should be an option you can toggle on/off, but as a fan of Hollow Knight I like the idea
If it could be toggled off, you could abuse it to stay where you want, or disable it for a free teleport back to spawn whenever you like, which is actually worse. At least the current system, where you do get that free teleport to spawn comes with the downside that you cant control it even if you want to stay where you are in the world.

As of now, you can leave a world anytime/anywhere and reappear back at world spawn allowing it to be used as a get out of jail free card also preventing the need for a potion or return or magic mirror.
What about for worlds that requires this feature for adventure maps? This extremely hurts map makers since everytime you wanna join the world you're not going to be at spawn unless you return all the way back to spawn. It's not preventing the need for recall/magic mirrors since they provide completely different purposes. They are not the same as just leaving and exiting. Leaving and exiting is tedious, it takes time. It is not broken in this game.

If youre in a bad situation, especially in hardcore mode, you can get back to spawn with no downside. Leaving should never be a game mechanic.
Please save player's locations when leaving worlds.
Why? Why shouldn't it be a mechanic? You're leaving the game resetting the mobs, tiles, items, and some npc so there is a downside. If you're in hardcore you're not using this to get out of a bad situation. You're using a recall potion. It's too tedious to play with autopause on 24/7 so you'd rather just use a recall potion instead of trynna save and exit before you died. There is no need for them to change up the entire spawn in mechanic just to add this

What about for worlds that requires this feature for adventure maps? This extremely hurts map makers since everytime you wanna join the world you're not going to be at spawn unless you return all the way back to spawn. It's not preventing the need for recall/magic mirrors since they provide completely different purposes. They are not the same as just leaving and exiting. Leaving and exiting is tedious, it takes time. It is not broken in this game.

Why? Why shouldn't it be a mechanic? You're leaving the game resetting the mobs, tiles, items, and some npc so there is a downside. If you're in hardcore you're not using this to get out of a bad situation. You're using a recall potion. It's too tedious to play with autopause on 24/7 so you'd rather just use a recall potion instead of trynna save and exit before you died. There is no need for them to change up the entire spawn in mechanic just to add this
In response to the adventure map thing, I see no reason why ending up back at spawn would be desired or required. In fact, forcing the player to actually get through the map as intended and not be able to get a free teleport back to spawn may be desired! And if it is somehow part of the map, just give them a recall potion instead. Like I said, leaving should never be a game mechanic.

Also, I use autopause (which in all honestly I dont really support and think it should be removed, but as long as it is Im going to use it becuase its good), but how is it "tedious"?

And lastly, I did not realize that leaving cleared enemies as well... this should be fixed too. Again, it should not be a get out of jail free card to avoid your problems. I imagine this would be very OP in hardcore.

In response to the adventure map thing, I see no reason why ending up back at spawn would be desired or required. In fact, forcing the player to actually get through the map as intended and not be able to get a free teleport back to spawn may be desired! And if it is somehow part of the map, just give them a recall potion instead. Like I said, leaving should never be a game mechanic.
For one I plan on creating an adventure map in the future that is a dungeon crawler, if people leave and then rejoin. They should start at the beginning of the dungeon not wherever they left off.

Also, I use autopause (which in all honestly I dont really support and think it should be removed, but as long as it is Im going to use it becuase its good), but how is it "tedious"?
Autopause is tedious for numerous of reasons, one of them being that you cannot use any tiles/potions/anything while your inventory is open. I don't think it should be removed however since it's very valuable to newer players in this game.

And lastly, I did not realize that leaving cleared enemies as well... this should be fixed too. Again, it should not be a get out of jail free card to avoid your problems. I imagine this would be very OP in hardcore.
You say "fixed" why would this be a "fix" you're not fixing anything, this isn't a problem, you're making up fake problems for a gamemode you don't play. If you have not played the gamemode I would refrain from suggesting things about it. If you so badly wanna make the game more difficult then play on higher difficulties. If anything letting enemies save location causes more problems.

As of now, you can leave a world anytime/anywhere and reappear back at world spawn allowing it to be used as a get out of jail free card also preventing the need for a potion or return or magic mirror.

If youre in a bad situation, especially in hardcore mode, you can get back to spawn with no downside.

Leaving should never be a game mechanic. Please save player's locations when leaving worlds.
A- You haven’t thought about this much
B- You’re bad.
Firstly: Leaving the world despawns bosses, so it’s not a get out of jail free card as you would have to start again. Secondly: It can save you from an accidental explosion misclicks. If you’re holding and explosive and you mistakenly toss it in your base, exit the world and rejoin and the bomb disappears and your area fine.
Thirdly- If you’re ONLY playing on normal mode, you shouldn’t be needing to use any crutches. Without shimmers, buffs, or optimizations you can swiftly beat the game.

so i want to spend like 20 seconds leaving and rejoining the world just cuz i want to go to spawn? i'd rather literally fish for a recall potion than do it every single time
same as using a recall potion or a magic mirror, they were made with the thought of a quick escape as well
so we want the game to be more like minecraft? let's ignore that, saving the player's location when leaving worlds isn't that bad of an idea so maybe i can come back to explore that 1 cave i was in, but going back to spawn makes it so i can prepare again for that same expedition

YOU WANT ENEMIES TO STILL STAY?
excuse me that's bs because if i ever have to leave suddenly irl i would rather not come back swarmed in a blood moon and just leave again because i just wasn't ready
it's less practical to save the leave point over not saving it

so i want to spend like 20 seconds leaving and rejoining the world just cuz i want to go to spawn? i'd rather literally fish for a recall potion than do it every single time

same as using a recall potion or a magic mirror, they were made with the thought of a quick escape as well

so we want the game to be more like minecraft? let's ignore that, saving the player's location when leaving worlds isn't that bad of an idea so maybe i can come back to explore that 1 cave i was in, but going back to spawn makes it so i can prepare again for that same expedition

YOU WANT ENEMIES TO STILL STAY?
excuse me that's bs because if i ever have to leave suddenly irl i would rather not come back swarmed in a blood moon and just leave again because i just wasn't ready
it's less practical to save the leave point over not saving it
Exactly.
Not to mention you come back to your spawn point and have time to prepare for something you may have not been ready for.
I can’t explain how many times it’s saved me from the goblin army.

For adventure maps and such implement check point rooms. Place a room with some basic furniture including a bed, and a stinkbug blocker if you don't want NPCs there. Then the player can set the bed as a spawn point and continue from there. This would be similar to the save rooms in the old wonderful 2d Castlevania games on PlayStation and GBA / DS

Exactly.
Not to mention you come back to your spawn point and have time to prepare for something you may have not been ready for.
I can’t explain how many times it’s saved me from the goblin army.
my point exactly. Leaving should not be the thing saving you

Back
Top Bottom