Game Mechanics Lock selected weapon

notjustinbailey

Skeletron
This is the second suggestion I've made, and first on this forum, so I apologize in advance if it's bad.

Now just 30 seconds ago I saw a post about having more hotkeys to bind weapons to such as Magnet Sphere etc. What if we can lock the weapons we use so that when we click it attacks and when we press the button on the hotbar for that weapon it uses it?

For example, I have my Razorpine on 1 and my Magnet Sphere on 2 and my Golden Shower on 3. i have my Razorpine highlighted. I press L and it locks it so i can't scroll to the other weapons in my hotbar. Now when I press the number keys for that weapon, it uses it.

So now I can attack by either holding down the left button, pressing 2, or pressing 3.

yay or nay?

Last edited:
Hard to say. I do like the idea in principle, though it seems like it'd be tough to implement. Furthermore, though that example is indeed a very good one, I personally cannot think of that many others. Certainly, I find it hard to see how a Ranger or (especially) Warrior would make good use of this function commonly.

I just can't help but think that it's a lot of trouble for not too big a difference, really.

Hard to say. I do like the idea in principle, though it seems like it'd be tough to implement. Furthermore, though that example is indeed a very good one, I personally cannot think of that many others. Certainly, I find it hard to see how a Ranger or (especially) Warrior would make good use of this function commonly.

I just can't help but think that it's a lot of trouble for not too big a difference, really.
I guess you're right that it would really only be a good idea for mages and summoners that want to be able to quickly use there spells/summoning items and the occasional melee, but i think there might be a little use with ranged. For instance, you could be firing a megashark when an enemy gets too close to you. I quick tap of your 2 key, and BAM, you swing a horseman's blade and don't waste any of your ammo. Sadly, it would be completely useless for melee...

I guess you're right that it would really only be a good idea for mages and summoners that want to be able to quickly use there spells/summoning items and the occasional melee, but i think there might be a little use with ranged. For instance, you could be firing a megashark when an enemy gets too close to you. I quick tap of your 2 key, and BAM, you swing a horseman's blade and don't waste any of your ammo. Sadly, it would be completely useless for melee...

While I take your point... coming from a hybrid melee/ranger in both PvE and PvP, you really don't want just one swing of your melee sidearm. That's the thing - when it comes to that, you really want to tear them to shreds when you have the opportunity and when it's safe, not just knock them back a bit.

Another possibility would be say, the Tactical Shotgun and Sniper Rifle. But unfortunately, thanks to the fact you're disabled from using other weapons until what you just used reloads, it'd again be rendered pretty less than useful.

Sorry to say that I can't even think of one for melee. But don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pummel your suggestion to dust! I think it's a good idea in principle, but it's just not as helpful as you'd hope in practice... sorry.

While I take your point... coming from a hybrid melee/ranger in both PvE and PvP, you really don't want just one swing of your melee sidearm. That's the thing - when it comes to that, you really want to tear them to shreds when you have the opportunity and when it's safe, not just knock them back a bit.

Another possibility would be say, the Tactical Shotgun and Sniper Rifle. But unfortunately, thanks to the fact you're disabled from using other weapons until what you just used reloads, it'd again be rendered pretty less than useful.

Sorry to say that I can't even think of one for melee. But don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pummel your suggestion to dust! I think it's a good idea in principle, but it's just not as helpful as you'd hope in practice... sorry.
Yea i guess it was pretty mage orientated, but that doesnt mean it doesnt have uses for other classes too! It might even allow more uses with other classes, such as using grenades while smacking elves in the face, or a quick flare gun use that doesnt cramp your pinky and you can use glowsticks too.

Yea i guess it was pretty mage orientated, but that doesnt mean it doesnt have uses for other classes too! It might even allow more uses with other classes, such as using grenades while smacking elves in the face, or a quick flare gun use that doesnt cramp your pinky and you can use glowsticks too.
Very true! But the flare gun/glow stick part would require it to take up a slot in your hot bar.

Unsure if this is considered a double post since it has been quite some time since the last reply, but I just had another idea for this. As you know, in 1.3 you can highlight items that prevents you from trashing them. I was thinking that there could be different kinds of highlights. One could make it so when you press the button it is on in the hotbar it does what I said in this suggestion. Another could prevent a buff from being used when B is pressed if a potion is highlighted. It'll also make the inventory look all fancy and colorful which is always nice.

Back
Top Bottom