Weapons & Equip Make Goggles useful

So maybe they need something else to compensate for the loss of the set bonus. +3% crit is too little I think when compared to set bonuses such as the Jungle armor's, I think.
It’s important to note how much more time consuming and difficult obtaining Jungle armor is than goggles, at least in Expert mode.

But there's nothing stopping you from killing 6 demon eyes on average (which have a predictable pattern, aren't rare in the slightest, and aren't tanky), getting two lenses, and just crafting +3% crit armor. That's a perfect example of you getting the amount of reward proportionate to the effort you put into it.
You're right with that.
Putting it that way, it could work well, but it still wouldn't make goggles much more useful than they are right now and would be similarly replaced with decent helmets once the player can craft some. probably.

Both can be obtained within the first hour. And both only gives 1 defence, which doesn't even reduces damage on their own.
Is there really a factor of balance?
However, Goggles have no set bonus, while wooden helmet does. A full set of wood armor gives 3 defense, while goggles + wood breastplate only gives 2. Goggles are also arguably more difficult to obtain and require a more valuable resource, as lenses can be used for items such as Archery potions.

However, Goggles have no set bonus, while wooden helmet does. A full set of wood armor gives 3 defense, while goggles + wood breastplate only gives 2. Goggles are also arguably more difficult to obtain and require a more valuable resource, as lenses can be used for items such as Archery potions.
There's also a black lens, which is even rarer to obtain than the lens itself. Either one can be used for a good minion staff. Or two can be used for sunglasses, which is a vanity item that practically doesn't do anything.

That's why I don't see goggles as an armor piece you should craft, but just a vanity clothing you could craft. Which just happens to have 1 defence.

Yes, but the difference between 2 and 3 defense means almost nothing (literally 1 flat point,) and goggles take under 5 minutes to obtain if you focus on them, as opposed to literally any armor that's better than it.

There's also a black lens, which is even rarer to obtain than the lens itself. Either one can be used for a good minion staff. Or two can be used for sunglasses, which is a vanity item that practically doesn't do anything.

That's why I don't see goggles as an armor piece you should craft, but just a vanity clothing you could craft. Which just happens to have 1 defence.
I can’t argue with the fact that rarity doesn’t justify power. (Look at Robot Hemet and Bone Key as examples!) However, Goggles are in the opposite category: they are cheap and easily obtainable, and for that reason, they are allowed to have an impact on the game. At one point in time they did, even if it’s a small impact. Since 1.1, there has been significant power creep throughout early prehardmode, now that players have access to items like frost burn arrows and ebonwood. So, that is my justification for returning goggles to their “former glory.”

To be honest you could go as high as 7% crit chance or something if you really want to make them a good armor slot. This is the stage of the game where defense is incredibly significant after all, so trading a chunk of it for DPS seems fair to me.

Back
Top Bottom