Weapons & Equip Megalodon - Upgraded Megashark

The megashark is perhaps one of my favorite weapons in the game for it's tier. It is very accurate, fires quickly, and is generally a great weapon.

But theres one problem.

The weapon becomes nearly useless post-planters, and until you defeat the moon lord, there is no weapon like it.

Here are the 5 post-planters pre-pillar guns.

Tactical_Shotgun.png
Tactical Shotgun
- Slow
- Good Damage
- Inaccurate
- Autofires

Chain_Gun.png
Chaingun
- Very Fast
- Decent Damage
- Inaccurate
- Autofires

Venus_Magnum.png
Venus Magnum
- Decent Damage
- Fast
- Accurate
-Doesn't Autofire

Sniper_Rifle.png
Sniper Rifle
- High Damage
- Very Slow
- Accurate
-Doesn't Autofire

Xenopopper.png
Xenopopper
- Decent Damage
- Very Slow
- Accurate
-Autofires

Not one of them is like the megashark, which is fast, has good damage, and is accurate.

So I have devised a new weapon that is a direct upgrade to the megashark.

I call it...

View attachment 74661
(not actually just a recolor, I changed the sprite quite a bit)
The Megalodon
38 Damage
1 Knockback
8% Critical Chance
5 Use time
7 Velocity
'Minishark's and Megashark's father'
66% Chance not to consume ammo

This weapon, in my opinion, will help greatly with most rangers. The gun is extremely accurate, even more so than the megashark, allowing it to be effective enough to not require chlorophyte bullets like the 5 other post-planters guns. (which, by the way, should make 200 bullets instead of 70)

Megashark.png
x1
Soul_of_Sight.gif
x30
Shroomite_Bar.png
x25
Illegal_Gun_Parts.png
x1
@ an Autohammer

So hopefully this is a fairly balanced idea. I believe it is, but I'm no expert on balancing.​
Great idea and all, except one imbalance. If you use ammo box and ammo reservation potion, it has 106% chance not to consume ammo -_-

The megalodon comes post plantera. The S.D.M.G. is post moonlord.
There's no Minishark-like gun in pre-Mech HM. At that point, all you have is the Uzi, Gatligator, the Shotgun (And the Onyx Blaster), and the Clockwork Assault Rifle. The Uzi is, in fact, the closest thing to the Megashark, but even then, it has several slight deifferences, as it fires more slowly, deals more damage per shot, has more knockback, and doesn't have a chance to not consume ammo.

There's no Minishark-like gun in pre-Mech HM. At that point, all you have is the Uzi, Gatligator, the Shotgun (And the Onyx Blaster), and the Clockwork Assault Rifle. The Uzi is, in fact, the closest thing to the Megashark, but even then, it has several slight deifferences, as it fires more slowly, deals more damage per shot, has more knockback, and doesn't have a chance to not consume ammo.
Well... i mean yeah thats why i made this suggestion. There's no post-plantera pre-moonlord megashark-style guns.

Well... i mean yeah thats why i made this suggestion. There's no post-plantera pre-moonlord megashark-style guns.
And I'm pointing out that there's no pre-Mech HM Minishark-like guns, just like there's no Sniper Gun-like guns in pre-Plantera HM, and none before that tier at all in Crimson worlds.

And I'm pointing out that there's no pre-Mech HM Minishark-like guns, just like there's no Sniper Gun-like guns in pre-Plantera HM, and none before that tier at all in Crimson worlds.
Oh. Ok go make a suggestion for those then lol

I'm pointing out that there's no need for tiers to be continuous, and that they can be skipped by some kinds of weapons.
Yeah but... I like the megashark. There's no weapons like it post-plantera and that bothers me because I like the gun a lot.

I don't mean to necro, but I agree with the commenter who said to give the Venus Magnum autofire. This would give it the buff needed to compete with other hardmode guns, yet the lack of ammo consumption will still allow those who prefer the ammo conservation to opt for other means. Also, the VM could get a right-click option that fires a stronger, high-velocity bullet that is semi-auto, therefore getting the best of both worlds.

Tried to make a better sprite (based off of the Sharkron):
qVaNNKW.png

Perhaps the gun could have a chance of dropping from Duke Fishron instead of being crafted, since he's around the post-Plantera tier. As for the idea itself, though, I don't really find it necessary. I wouldn't complain if this was added, but I feel that the current post-Plantera guns encourage rangers to focus on a more specific style of damage. You may want to use the Chain Gun on larger crowds, while reserving a Sniper Rifle for singular targets, for instance. Meanwhile, the Megashark is more of an all-around gun: Decent damage, speed, accuracy, and even ammo consumption.

Last edited:
Tried to make a better sprite (based off of the Sharkron):
qVaNNKW.png

Perhaps the gun could have a chance of dropping from Duke Fishron instead of being crafted, since he's around the post-Plantera tier. As for the idea itself, though, I don't really find it necessary. I wouldn't complain if this was added, but I feel that the current post-Plantera guns encourage rangers to focus on a more specific style of damage. You may want to use the Chain Gun on larger crowds, while reserving a Sniper Rifle for singular targets, for instance. Meanwhile, the Megashark is more of an all-around gun: Decent damage, speed, accuracy, and even ammo consumption.
I guess your right about the gun's purpose. I just really like the megashark. Thanks for the sprite though!

Yeah, I like the idea, but we need to fill in more gaps.

Minishark-Megashark-Megalodon-S.D.M.G

I'm pretty sure I'm missing the point here but there's a tier between Plantera and the Pillars (aside from Martians) and that's the Frost and Pumpkin Moons, with their Chain Gun and Snowman Cannon for ranged items

Back
Top Bottom