Melee Speed and Mining Speed Discussion

That was actually what I was trying to say to Suweeka (IN THE OLD MINING SPEED THREAD, NOT THIS ONE), but she just wouldn't let me talk anymore, and Tunnel King didn't really help at all
And as they have been telling you, prefixes affect both use time(related to mining speed) and use speed(swing speed). Melee speed affects only use speed, not use time. They are two different things altogether.

You do what I do when Leinfors manages to totally misinterpret something I've said and ban me from a thread. Move on.

Are they a prefix that has higher speed? Prefixes do actually affect digging speed.

Light Cobalt Digging claws. Violent accessory set. Including feral claws. Does the prefix not increase melee speed? Pick swings faster. Blocks are hit more often. That kind of thing? Causing you to.. mine faster?

If I am ever arsed to I will set fraps up and make a clip of me mining faster.

Is this a terminology misunderstanding or something?

Last edited:
Look,this thread may cause flame wars and might result in warnings or temporary bans
OT:the strange case of the OP being missing may lead me to not understand
But we should and SHALL,take this as both sides and WILL NOT cause the breaking of any rules that might happen
*sigh*
Again wrong. As always

I was trying to say that increased mining speed increases reaction time to mine the block, not the mining speed

*sigh* Another one

I was trying to say increased melee speed increases reaction time, not mining speed. But no, just stick with one, like a (I ain't gonna say it) person
So you still HAVNT made your purpose clear,Reaction Time?what does that have to do with this topic,you havnt explained at all what you mean.
Well, it doesn't affect mining speed, but does affect the block reach.

(What I mean is that if you have an armor that increases melee speed, it increases the immediant block mining, *sigh*, idk how to make this easier)
Whoa whoa their horsey,BLOCK REACH? you just traveled into a different territory,what does speed have to do with reach?plus immedent block mining just really means insta mining? What does that have to do with melee speed,MELEE speed increases of fast MELEE weapons can swing,use a Terrablade with no accessories
Then use one with all acessories you have,with violent,see one is faster.
The same goes with the basic principle of mining,to you,your pick is swinging faster,but that's visual
Tell me,if you put beetle armor in vanity,you get the set defence?No because that's visual (whole point of vanity)
"Now those are two different topics!" Yes,but same point.

That was actually what I was trying to say to Suweeka (IN THE OLD MINING SPEED THREAD, NOT THIS ONE), but she just wouldn't let me talk anymore, and Tunnel King didn't really help at all

Calling your bluff, because from what I recall you called Milt wrong *again* on his statement saying melee speed bonuses from accessories and armor does nothing, but weapon prefixes do.

Good for you! Also make note that melee speed does nothing to mining speed! Have a nice day!
Thanks. But the prefix does make a difference: http://terraria.wiki.gg/Mining_speed
Oh yeah.... forgot about that. but melee speed bonuses from accessories and armor will do nada.
Actually your wrong, again.

Melee speed bonuses go into the items speed, so that's how fast it is. If it's a Pickaxe, that goes into the mining speed too.

Hmm, I wonder if the shadow Armor is a good alternative for the mining armor

Here's link to the original post: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/just-got-a-light-shroomite-digging-claw.4351/

Light Cobalt Digging claws. Violent accessory set. Including feral claws. Does the prefix not increase melee speed? Pick swings faster. Blocks are hit more often. That kind of thing? Causing you to.. mine faster?

If I am ever arsed to I will set fraps up and make a clip of me mining faster.

Is this a terminology misunderstanding or something?
By codes, every item has useAnimation and useTime. useAnimation is the swinging speed, useTime is the delay in between each use of the item. In simple terms, imagine useAnimation being the sword itself and useTime being Terra Blade's beam recharge. When it comes to digging, useTime determines how often a pickaxe will dig a tile. meleeSpeed does not increase useTime, it only affects useAnimation (try taking a sword shooting beams and you'll notice the beam's recharge will stay the same even tho the sword will swing faster). The same happens with pickaxes. The difference between meleeSpeed bonuses and prefixes is, prefixes are the only thing actually affecting both useTime and useAnimation.

Calling your bluff, because from what I recall you called Milt wrong *again* on his statement saying melee speed bonuses from accessories and armor does nothing, but weapon prefixes do.

Here's link to the original post: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/just-got-a-light-shroomite-digging-claw.4351/
Glad we are still going on about this like a (nvm). Craft was suspended for 24 hours can we please stop beating a dead horse. This is blatantly childish.
[DOUBLEPOST=1423554249][/DOUBLEPOST]I have a proposal let's all admit to being headless chickens so that if any more arguing occurs we can say it was (cheesy joke incoming) fowl play.

I legitimately cant say I truly understand but I trust w1k on this. Maybe this thing brings some sort of perception bias but I definitely don't see a reason to aggressively argue over this.
The messiah has come with understanding and knowledge. Be empowered.

I legitimately cant say I truly understand but I trust w1k on this. Maybe this thing brings some sort of perception bias but I definitely don't see a reason to aggressively argue over this.
Oh look,someone who understands the topic
If it can start a flame war,ignore it,or pick the path that causes the least chaos
(Just ignore it mostly)

OT:Craftamus has gotten a suspension from his account for 24 hours,
While he hasn't explained his point clearly,we should assume that he is most likely incorrect,because SRS,I'm not going to take the sword that I don't is Dull or not....
Or risk the chance that golden chest that I haven't seen before is a mimic while I have low HP

Last edited:
Are you still going off-topic? Last I recall, this is a discussion about whether melee speed affects mining speed or not.

If arguing is 'childish' for you then you might want to reconsider entering a discussion.

This is blatantly childish.
If it was just a difference of opinions(ie. "Blue is cooler. NO! Red is way more RAD!!!!" kind of thing), I would've agreed with you. But we are talking about calling someone else's facts(which they have tested and confirmed painstakingly) as false here, or in other words, calling them a liar and spreader of misinformations. And it all seems to stem from misunderstandings of game coding and the like. Not to mention blatant denial of facts in favor of opinions.

Last edited:
Are you still going off-topic? Last I recall, this is a discussion about whether melee speed affects mining speed or not.

If arguing is 'childish' for you then you might want to reconsider entering a discussion.
Arguing involves educated debate that highlights and emphasizes facts and defeats counter claims (please note the usage of the words sophisticated and professional) in a sophisticated and professional manner to convince an opposing arguer of your point.

Arguing involves educated debate that highlights and emphasizes facts and defeats counter claims In a (please note the usage of the words sophisticated and professional) in a sophisticated and professional manner to convince an opposing arguer of your point.

In that case, if you really want me to debate my facts [again]:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/just-got-a-light-shroomite-digging-claw.4351/
Wrong.

Melee speed bonuses affect useAnimation. useTime affects mining speed [and shooting speed, etc]. Only thing that affects useTime is Speed Modifiers, which does NOT include Melee Speed Modifier. useAnimation has absolutely nothing to do with mining speed.

Open your eyes and realize Melee Speed Modifier != Speed Modifier and actually test your claims before going out and spewing it.

The only things that will affect mining speed are:

Sun/Moon Stone
Celestial Stone
Mining Potion
Mining Armor
Weapon Prefix [+% Speed midifiers affect mining speed]

In order to reach max mining speed with a Light Shroomite Claw, one only needs:
Mining Potion + Celestial/Sun/Moon Stone

So don't bother wearing that dirty Mining Armor, folks.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/mining-speed-and-you.159635/
Lately I've seen a couple of 'fastest mining speed' videos on youtube and I decided that me and W1K would find out more about it and explain.

Basically, the highest mining speed that I can calculate on paper is Shroomite Digging Claws [15 blocks/sec or a usetime of 4] + Mining Potion [+25%] + Mining Outfit [30%] + Celestial/Sun/Moon Stone [15%] + Light Modifier [15%] for a total of 4 * 0.15 = 0.6 usetime, or 100 blocks per second.
[You can have both Sun/Moon Stone and Celestial Stone at once, but that means a modifier of 100%, which will bring it down to 0 usetime, and that's not a good thing.]

Melee Speed does NOT, will NOT, and isn't EVER going to affect mining speed. Here, have an image.

This image displays how attack speed affects mining speed by falling straight down while mining the walls to the left/right.
Left Column = Mining speed of Shroomite with no melee speed bonuses
Right Column = Mining speed of Shroomite Digging Claw with Hallowed Melee gear, Mechanical glove, Power Glove, Feral Claws, and Well-Fed buff.

Result? No difference. Busted.
add6d30f25.png

Sounds fast, no?
But max mining speed is much slower than 100 blocks per second. That number is impossible to reach.

One reason is that usetime cannot be a decimal. .6 would turn to 0 [for reasons I don't understand. Ask W1K]. And 0 usetime would turn our world into an undefined piece of undefined stuff.
Another is that 60 is the magic number. The game operates at 60 frames per second and as such you cannot really mine faster than that [which goes along with the first reason].

Another clue we figured out ingame is that fall speed is faster than mining 2 columns of blocks at once. Fall speed is around 600 pixels per second, or 37.5 blocks per second. If the highest mining speed was 50 blocks per second for 2 columns of blocks, then mining to hell can give you about 10-20k damage as fall damage if unhindered by cobwebs, water, and lava. But it doesn't.

So the fastest mining speed is 60 blocks per second.

This number is very easy to reach, but what is the most efficient way to reach it without having to go all-out mining gear and waste time and resources?

We have noticed that there is a mining speed bonus cap, which limits how much you can gain from bonuses. We figured that this bonus exists to prevent mining speed from obliterating our computers. The mining speed bonus cap is +70% mining speed.
To compare, the total bonus you can get is 105% as indicated above.
So you can get a deficit of 35% regardless.

But that's not all. if every decimal between 1 and 2 are rounded down to 1, then having a 1.99 usetime is just as effective as having a 1.01 usetime, and that's a .98 difference, a huge waste! We have to go deeper.

With that in mind, and considering Shroomite Digging Claws has a mining usetime of 4, you only need around +51% mining speed [or 4 * .49 = 1.96 usetime] to reach this. That means you don't need to reach the cap! All you need for Shroomite Digging Claws is the Mining Potion Buff and the two stones/mining outfit for a total of 55% bonus to hit 60 blocks/sec. All you need for a Light Shroomite Digging Claw [usetime of 3] is a Celestial/Sun/Moon Stone and the Mining Potion Buff for a total of 40% bonus to hit 60 blocks/sec.
Shroomite isn't the only one though. There's also the Picksaw, the slower, but longer range counterpart. Picksaw has a mining usetime of 6, so you only need around +67% mining speed [6 * .33 = 1.98 usetime] to max it out. That means Picksaw only needs Mining Potion + Mining Outfit + 1 Stone and for a total of 70% bonus, enough to hit the max of 60 blocks/sec. That means a Light Picksaw [usetime of 5] only needs a Mining Potion + Sun/Moon/Celestial Stone and Mining Outfit for a total of 70% bonus, enough to hit the max of 60 blocks/sec.

Regarding Picksaw vs Digging Claws in this case is simple.
Shroomite has the advantage of having 1 less accessory slot, but having a range of -1
Picksaw has the advantage of having 2 more range, but having 1 extra accessory.

I suppose that is pretty much all we've uncovered regarding the subject so far. So Terradies and Genterrarians, when someone tells you that Mining Potion + Mining Outfit + Celestial Stone + Sun/Moon Stone + Shroomite Digging Claw achieves the fastest possible mining speed, you now know that they're actually only partially correct and that you can do the same with less!

Credits to W1K for coop-ing with me to find out this :red: god I need to do my homework now

TL;DR - Read bolded sentences you lazy ducks

an argumentative debate shouldn't be about discrediting someone and belittling others. Just simply stating your wrong here are the facts in an orderly fashion.

Back
Top Bottom